Skin Appropriate Portraits

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izzabelle

10-16-2011

I noticed that if you play a game and you choose a skin -- in game, your character will still keep their original/classic portrait, and any notifications containing said portrait will also be of the original/classic.

I don't imagine it'd be an incredibly difficult fix, but it would make sense to have the game display champions as the way the summoner chose them to be.

Fuskamo

10-16-2011

I can see why you might want this, but some skins look like other champs. It could get confusing, whereas everyone associates the default pic with the champ.

L33tT4rd

10-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuskamo View Post
I can see why you might want this, but some skins look like other champs. It could get confusing, whereas everyone associates the default pic with the champ.
Then have it just your own view then. Not that big of a deal for the team not to see skinned portrait

LowPolyCount

Associate Flash Engineer

10-17-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzabelle View Post
I don't imagine it'd be an incredibly difficult fix, but it would make sense to have the game display champions as the way the summoner chose them to be.
The big impediment is that we have about 200-300 skins that would have to be cut out. After that, QA has to go through and verify that each one works. It's not hard, but it is tedious and time consuming. I may ask art team about it, but I don't know if they have the resources for it right now.

I would like to stress that if we did this, the skin changes would only appear locally: You would see your skin, but everyone else would see the base one.

Dyloslawer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2011

i heard that the reason for this was that champions should be easily identifiable on the mini map & on kill reports.

ofc i would like the big screen in the bottom left to display the skin you are using

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPolyCount View Post
I would like to stress that if we did this, the skin changes would only appear locally: You would see your skin, but everyone else would see the base one.
That's no fun =/

Cpt Shaq Sparrow

10-17-2011

every Rioter has a forum avatar, so most of the skins already have cut-outs, don't they?

The point about minimap and kill reports needing to be standardized makes sense, but even if the little portrait at the bottom matched the skin that'd be cool.

Marcian Tobay

10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyloslawer View Post
i heard that the reason for this was that champions should be easily identifiable on the mini map & on kill reports.

This is my concern. Sion's newest skin still looks like Kassadin or Mordekaiser. I want to be able to recognize things in a blink.

Also, what if Mundo wears Mundo Mundo? I might mistake someone disguises as Mundo when, in fact, they're Mundo Mundo!

Set Tesh

10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPolyCount View Post
The big impediment is that we have about 200-300 skins that would have to be cut out. After that, QA has to go through and verify that each one works. It's not hard, but it is tedious and time consuming. I may ask art team about it, but I don't know if they have the resources for it right now.

it was stated that the only reason it didnt work like this is you guys thought it would be too confusing,

but

i remember someone saying they might take another look
also would be pretty pointless for it to be you only to see it

Grawl

10-17-2011

I don't really get how it would be that difficult to be honest... I know that cropping each picture would be long, 1 or 2 days max (shortcuts are key for boring and long tasks like that). But how is changing the small picture would make other people not see the skin you bought? Isn't the icon because of a condition like :

if (playerChampion == "Annie)
{
championHolder = "...Annie.jpg"
}
(or case would be better than if with so many champions)

If so you could just put another condition inside changing Annie.jpg to Annie01.jpg or AnnieReverse.jpg. Because the HUD is local, I'm wondering if I'm just missing something or the script to load the small icon is weird.