Troubleshoot - Maestro

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

reapermaster

09-28-2009

What is Maestro?
Maestro is an application that runs within the lol.launcher.exe and is started almost immidiately after you initially start the launcher. As soon as it starts running its listening for information from the other 2 programs that LoL runs during the course of a full game.

The best analogy that I can come up with is comparing it directly with a heart monitor at a hospital. When you first turn it on, ie when you start the launcher, it powers up and doesnt do anything other than say, "ok Im ready to work." At this point it hasnt been connected to anything and doesnt do anything.

Ok so now we are going to hook it up, in this case it would be when you try to login. Once you are logged in the first part of maestro has been started. When you successfully log in the LolClient.exe, or PvP.net, starts to run. During the login process Maestro is told that it is being connected and should start recieving a signal from LolClient.exe. LolClient.exe will not finish loading until maestro gives it the OK signal that it has its heatbeat. Once the LoLclient.exe has finised loading it sends a signal to lol.launcher.exe on a regular interval, this is considered a heartbeat. This is how the anology of the heart monitor starts to make a little more sense. Maestro at this point knows it is supposed to be recieving this heart beat from the LolClient.exe and it doesnt like it when it there is no activity for a period of time.

At this point we have PvP.net and Maestro communicating to each other on a regular interval and all is good. Now we get to make things a little more complicated. You are now in the champion select and the timer has just finished counting down. When this happens the PvP.net client sends a signal to maestro doing 2 things. 1st it says "League of Legends.exe" is starting and that it needs to be expecting a heartbeat from it now as well. Once it has done this it tell maestro that its going to go to sleep and it them minimizes itself to your taskbar.

For the first few moments of The League of Legends.exe it spends getting its heartbeat to maestro. It will not continue to load until it gets a confirmation from maestro that it is recieving its heartbeat. From this point on maestro just calmly and patiently sits in the background and waits for the heatbeats from both PvP.net and the game itself until the end of the game.

When a game ends the game client lets maestro know this and ask if the PvP.net is still alive at this point. Once maestro confirms that PvP.net is alive still the Game client then finishes sending the game stats to your screen. At this point the game client tells maestro that it is disconnecting and the closes itself down. Once maestro has recieved this information it wakes up PvP.net and pulls it to the front of your screen.

From this point the process just repeats each time you login or start a new game. I am not saying that this is all that it does, its just what is the most obvious. This heartbeat allows to keep all the applications communicating with each other. From my understanding this is not only run from the client side, but also runs server side as PvP.net and the game client keep a heart beat to riot as well. This allows Riot to leverage some game features that otherwise would not be available.

Now that we have a basic idea of what maestro does we can now understand what it means when we get a maestro error. Maestro errors occur when it is not able to recieve a heartbeat when it expects it. There is a grace period, but I do not know how long it is before it starts to throw errors. I am sure that the grace period is different depending which heartbeat its expecting.

TROUBLESHOOTING
There are three points for maestro errors that are obvious
1. At login
2. after champion select during initial game client loading
3. after a game ends

Errors with maestro are typically going to be caused by the same things:
-Software based firewalls ( ie Zone Alarm, windows firewall )
-Anti-Virus
-Malware Scanners
-Process Protection software ( usually related to anti-virus )
-Not running the game with Admin Rights
-UAC ( vista and win7 only )
-Installed to the "Program Files" directory ( vista and win7 only )

The way to find your problem is to disable any potential software that can stop cross process talking. Then once you can get connected you need to start enabling them 1 at time until you have it narrowed down to what exactly is causing your problems.

For those with software based firewall many times the software will allow you to specifiy processes that it will give unrestricted access to what it needs. you can add the following .exe files to the exceptions and it should resolve the problems, otherwise you will have to either disable it to play or add specific ports to it to allow the proper communication to take place.
(Note this is just where I have it installed)

- C:\Riot Games\League of Legend\lol.launcher.exe
- C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\League of Legends.exe
- C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\air\LolClient.exe

Thats a rough understanding of how it all works. I will update and change it as my understanding changes. Hopefully this will help you resolve problems related to maestro.

reapermaster

09-29-2009

minor update

gruof01

09-30-2009

Thanks for writing posts like this. It's really helpful.

Maestro is a bridge between the PVP.net client and the game client. It uses TCP sockets to communicate.

It uses TCP port 8370, 8390, and 8393 currently. These ports may change from time to time, but should remain in the range of 8370 - 8400. Since the connection is local only there shouldn't need to be any firewall exceptions for them, but as you said above, it is possible for them to be blocked by other software. If there are issues it's definitely worth looking into.

I find that the most common cause of the Maestro error is that people try to bypass the launcher and run LOLClient.exe directly. This will never work. The launcher must be used to launch everything since it is the program that makes Maestro start.

Bundy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruof01 View Post
Thanks for writing posts like this. It's really helpful.

Maestro is a bridge between the PVP.net client and the game client. It uses TCP sockets to communicate.

It uses TCP port 8370, 8390, and 8393 currently. These ports may change from time to time, but should remain in the range of 8370 - 8400. Since the connection is local only there shouldn't need to be any firewall exceptions for them, but as you said above, it is possible for them to be blocked by other software. If there are issues it's definitely worth looking into.

I find that the most common cause of the Maestro error is that people try to bypass the launcher and run LOLClient.exe directly. This will never work. The launcher must be used to launch everything since it is the program that makes Maestro start.
I have noticed that I get the error nearly 100% of the time if I have ANY processes/programs open besides the launcher. The error also occurs only when the host clicks "start game" (I've only played practice games so far), and it brings up the hero selection.

The error still happens after I close everything I can think of, but it is MUCH, MUCH less. Hopefully this helps.

EDIT: I've also noticed that it doesn't happen twice in a row. If it does it once and I relogin and join either the same game (if still up) or another game, it will work perfectly always.

reapermaster

09-30-2009

Bundy, if you have any sort of software based firewall it can cause problems like this. In addition if you have any thing like an anti-virus or malware scanner of any kind it can kill the connection from maestro to the aother applications.

reapermaster

10-01-2009

big wall of text updated. hopefully this gives a better understanding of everything and is accurate. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know so I can correct it.

Jonah

10-02-2009

Ive started recieving this error out of the blue, the launcher wont open up, its stuck on the retrieving information part, then it finally stops responding etc, if you manually go C:\\Riot Games\League of Legends\Air and click the lolclient execuable file, it says it cant contact Maelstro

Ofcourse, ive not touched anything on my pc since i last played only a few hours ago, and now i cant play. I have none of the stuff you explained which is causing the problems so please tell me how to rectify the situation...

reapermaster

10-02-2009

another user that recently had a similar problem Jonah. They had to unplug the power to their modem and let it sit for a minute and then plug it back in. After that everything was working again... Try this first as its the least invasive of anything.

As for the order you tried to do things yes that is an expected error when you launch the PvP.net client in that fashion.

Gungnir

10-09-2009

Every time it says, Enter Champion Selection now, i click on it (Connecting to a normal game) it says maestro cannot connect, and LOL is closed. then about 2 mins later i am given a random Hero and the game starts, any help?

Kaitor

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Every time it says, Enter Champion Selection now, i click on it (Connecting to a normal game) it says maestro cannot connect, and LOL is closed. then about 2 mins later i am given a random Hero and the game starts, any help?
I have some trouble with Maestro when i launch the game via steam, but now that i noticed it and i'm lauching the game itself, i no longer have problems with Maestro. Maybe that's your case, maybe not...

1234511 ... 12