Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DJ Radix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskofdead View Post
And we disagree, stuns are prevalent enough in the game that you will have them on both sides. When a Tryndamere, much like an Eve, is in the game, the mechanic only functions one way. The other team has to take special measures to react to just this one champion. That does not happen with normal stuns.
And at low elo that matters. I believe the left-click stun is worse because it matters at any elo.

Again, I'm not arguing that Tryn is balanced. You seem to keep coming back to that and trying to prove to me he is unbalanced. We agree that, *at low elo*, he is unbalanced.

Left-click stun is effective at any elo, and extremely effective at high elo.

Tryn is extremely effective at low elo, and not very effective at high elo.

PulsadoKBK

09-29-2011

Necro

Final Boss

Adjudicator

10-01-2011

Problem is, I read all of this, and almost every single thing comes down to "make it more noob friendly, more unintelligent player friendly, more friendly for players with a low knowledge of the game." Ew.

xXxKojixXx

10-01-2011

I believe fids dark wind falls into that non reliability section, its only viable against multiple enemies. You guys should change that to make him more versatile. Like let it bounce of fids if its a 1v1 similar to ryze

Jadevampire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-01-2011

Problem solved: Hard mode. PVP -> Summoners Rift 5v5 -> Hard Blind pick

Also read it all, I really liked the insight.

Redbutton

10-01-2011

Oh, good insight, actually saved this thread to go over at a later time

papagrizz

10-12-2011

guess im late coming to this thread, seeing as this is the 183rd page. but zil had some good points that i think everyone who plays lol should try and take note of. the anit combo made perfect sense, and i agree with most everything zil said.

that being said tho i do feel that riot is making some champs pretty simple. simple isnt bad, sometimes its great. for me nothing is more simple than cait. right click => success. but it would be nice to see some more champs that have a high learning curve. i really think riot should put some champs out similar to udyr and karma in which they dont really have an ult per se. but they have stepped it up a few times recently. ie brand lee sin rumble etc. their spells all have bonuses associated with other things going on in the game etc. these guys are really fun to play and would love to see more of this.

the argument that the game has to be "new user friendly" or what have you just doesnt make sense to me. there are tons, literally tons of champs that new users can not only use, but be great at. and the champs that are "too difficult" for them probably wont get picked, or wont be used bc they wont understand the complex mechanics of the game/champ. while the more skilled experienced players who do understand the game etc will hopefully accept the new champ and figure him out etc.

Brianv2

10-20-2011

I'm a relatively new player, about 5 months, and I guess I'd like to chime in. I think that League does a lot of things right. Not that there aren't issues, but as a game, I think it's built well. Some think the game is "DotA or HoN lite", but what is so special about them? I briefly played HoN when it was in closed beta, and I hated it; it didn't make any sense and EVERYONE expected you to know how to play already, and yelled at you when you didn't.

Criticizing the designers for making the game new player friendly just sounds like elitism in all honesty, and I get that feeling from a lot of people that started playing DotA or even HoN first. Just because you had to claw and scrape your way up through a horrible community and game that doesn't make sense doesn't mean you should look down on people who didn't have to.

Desperado Dave

10-25-2011

Bad points a year ago he said, "were taking out flash". They nerfed it this thread is FAR TO OLD

Tizok

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Boss View Post
Problem is, I read all of this, and almost every single thing comes down to "make it more noob friendly, more unintelligent player friendly, more friendly for players with a low knowledge of the game." Ew.
More like gameplay should be more intuitive. Not to say these rules are/should be set in stone but for the most part it makes sense from a design perspective.

Fostering elitism for the sake of itself makes no sense.