The Frustration With Personal Score

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sinistral

09-29-2011

Generally in premades, I don't see the score system as it is as a problem. We all know how our teammates contributed outside of their score. That one guy defending points like no one's business, we apreciate them so much.

The problem really lies in Solo Q, same as it does in SR. People will stare blindly at the K/D/A as they now will do at the personal scores: "Look at my score, I am the best!"

No you aren't, you keep trying to capture points as Eve, that we cannot possibly defend, you get points for neutralizing it, also possibly capping it, but we are facing a 4v5 when it comes to holding our other capped points.

Eve then goes on a rage, how he did the best in that game and we all sucked, while we worked our asses off, trying to defend the points we had, trying to make up for all the 4v5 situations we faced, because basically Eve was running around everywhere.

In good premades, it doesn't bother me at all, it's the Solo Queue mentallity that I cannot stand.

Soren Kaleth

09-29-2011

Thus the issue remains of the point system being in a positive direction for the entire team...

b0rg

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsnypre View Post
Because this game really needs to cater more to the Halo crowd.

No, just no.
News flash: achievements are becoming standard fare in pretty much every computer game produced, not just Halo.

boourns

UI Designer

09-29-2011
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astiahl View Post
Hm, quick idea that I'm sure has been suggested before, if so I vote for it completely. :P

Give points per second to people whenever engaged in combat with enemies within a friendly tower's range, maybe even including neutralized points that were theirs in the last 5-10 seconds or so. For example that Rammus or Ryze or Alistar that danced around with the enemy on the point and delays them gets a reward outside of the +5 every so often and maybe a kill or Martyr, obviously would increase per enemy. Obviously it would need testing and tweaking to get it just right, but I think it's a valid idea, kind of hard to abuse it since it requires you take tower damage in the process.

This would also encourage people to fight on points rather than halfway into the lane.
I believe we already give points for this actually!

boourns

UI Designer

09-29-2011
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Kaleth View Post
The issue is not that the points system isnt working, nor is it that we want something different. We just want something that feels a little more equal for those that are defending towers. Just an increase in the defensive points to make the game more enjoyable and help the community understand that its called capture AND DEFEND. Otherwise well just continue to get the people who just kill kill kill all game, never capture or defend anything, and rage at others with lower scores that are actually defending points. This is all. Not a change in how its done, just a boost for defenders.

Edit: LOVE the name by the way BOOOURRNNSSS!!!!!
Well, some people are asking for it to be removed or replaced with simple KDA. I think you'll see some tweaks to points to reward defenders in the future though. Ultimately I think the game designers want a slight bias in favor of aggressive action so we don't incentivize stagnant gameplay, but I think they're finding we're a little too far that way.

BTW, I was saying boourns.

Arance

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
BTW, I was saying boourns.
You win the name contest.

[turley]up4LTKxe0PA[/turley]

Still nothing beats the classic Simpsons. (Although I have to admit Futurama and Archer come **** close.)

Edgecase

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Ultimately I think the game designers want a slight bias in favor of aggressive action so we don't incentivize stagnant gameplay, but I think they're finding we're a little too far that way.
Using a point system to incentivize an action that is at odds with the actual strategy for winning seems... misleading. And backwards? Shouldn't the game mechanic be doing the actual heavy lifting of MAKING aggression pay first, THEN having the scoring system point this out to people?

I gotta say, the placement of the 4th and 5th points (i.e. the two farthest from your own base) are pretty hugely biased in favor of the other team. Promoting aggressive action against those points is tantamount to telling people to throw their lead away.

Perhaps one way of conveying this would be for defense score to scale with the number of points your team currently holds. Team holds one point? GTFO and capture something, only 2 points per tick for being in the defense zone. Team holds two points? 5 per tick. Team holds 3 points and the lead? 10 points per tick for not running off and losing the game for your team!

crying angels

09-29-2011

I agree with you op.

Although, like in SR when I play tanks, I don't really care about my personal score, I just want to win.

Nokkturnal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2011

I don't understand the complaint about personal score. I understand how to play capture and control and am therefore always defending our helping take a node when down 2/3 yet I am usually top 1/2 in my games. Its the idiots fighting on the road in between capture points that have the lowest score. If your team is that bad there is no way you are just during defending a point all game because the event will come kill you.

Nokturnalex

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
In good premades, it doesn't bother me at all, it's the Solo Queue mentallity that I cannot stand.
That's cause it's completely pointless and has no reflection on how good each player did. This is a team game, a good team works together to win without trying to "Get the best score" even when people would try to get the best KDA they were being more useful than anyone thinking they're good on Crystal Scar cause they capped undefended points while their teammates did all the work.