Dominion UI Feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Halcion

09-28-2011

A mouseover effect that shows the capture point names on the gray circles on the edges of the minimap would be nice.

Edgecase

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
A very simple, helpful idea IMO would be to number the capture points.

I always hear a lot of "top" "mid", weird abbreviations like "refin", "the far point" "get the quest!", essentially just making people type a lot more when time is of the essence.
The simple addition of numbers right on each point (not on the symbols, which are a bit away from the point itself) would do wonders.
Top/mid/bot makes sense if the plan is to allocate roles, since you can talk about it before the game begins. For example, it doesn't matter whether you're left or right side when you're trying to decide on who's going to take the "bot lane" champion during char select.

Once the game starts, someone suggested they use the compass directions to identify the points in Riot games, so NE, SE, SW, NW. Everybody who's played more than twice knows "windmill".

DavidSchwabe

09-28-2011

More of the same really:

VP meter blinks red when YOU are losing points, stabilizes to a healthy GREEN when you are not.
The faster the rate the more common the blinks.

Quests should appear front and centre. They should also be followed by a ping on each of the two points (one colour for defend, one for attack).
Or highlighted as such for the duration of the quest. (If they are highlighted I'd recommend a circle around each point that ticks down (radially like the capture animations). That way you could easily see how long is left to defend/attack. These visual cues should be clearly separated from the terrain/map so you know they are quests.

With all ques and popups, the option to disable them is a good idea.

joshiez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I originally thought the score should count up from 0-500.
That would be SO much more intuitive for a 'control map' like CS than counting down... It would also help people get out of the SR mindset of 'kill the nexus' and more into the 'make moar points' mindset of CS.

I've been playing Dom quite a bit, and I still have to think twice about the bar UI when I glance up.

Reynmaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2011

The mini map often gets in the way if my skill shots as kog. Is there any way that you guys can make it so that I can click and complete an attack behind the HUD ? Right now, clicks simply can't be completed behind it.

Also, (although I know this may be resource intensive) what about an overall HUD design that does away with all the opacity ? the minimap could be a translucent circle that I could click behind ( no opaque borders) and the skills and Items could be held in 'floating' orbs/squares whatever, that would simply take up less screen real estate.

Kind of an 'Aero' feel.

Edit: The nexus health indicators could also stand to be a fair bit smaller.

Shini Laser

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiez View Post
That would be SO much more intuitive for a 'control map' like CS than counting down... It would also help people get out of the SR mindset of 'kill the nexus' and more into the 'make moar points' mindset of CS.

I've been playing Dom quite a bit, and I still have to think twice about the bar UI when I glance up.
While it makes sense practically, it seems the Nexus health counting down is lore spawned. It works well for me, though I can understand why it would throw some off.

NakedGranny

09-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
So... I hear this "dominion" thing went live. If you have questions or feedback about the new user interface elements we put in, here's the place to post! Things to talk about (not an exhaustive list):

* VP meters at the top middle
* Medals and score at the top right
* Changes to the announcement system
* Personal score display popups
* Quests
* Capture progress on points
* Capture interrupted feedback
* Capture point indicators on the minimap

Edit: Try to keep this focused on the user interface. The UI designers can't help too much with fixing game design issues. Example: Make the quests easier to understand and notice when they come up = UI/UX design. Changing which points are chosen to be quest points = game design.
the giant ****ing meters on the top are in the god**** way. make them smaller.

chainner

09-29-2011

TLDR remove the medals their distract people into bolstering their ego instead of winning.

a big problem i find with the UI atm is the medal system is misleading to people who don't know the game type and can cause people to inadvertently ruin their teams chance at winning while striving to get that #1 beside their name. I think having the medal ranks pushes people to focus on bolstering their ego instead of actually helping their team to win.

And example i can give is someone spam capping the enemy's middle base turret when its not needed for the quest to get massive cap points and the #1 medal, but little do they know its the easiest turret in the map for the enemy to recap and if anything their creep waves will recap it for them ... while this is happening the rest of your team is trying to 4v5 the enemy's on turrets that actually count be it for the quest or just strategic holding for a actual victory.

Rayven

UX Designer

09-29-2011
17 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallguyG View Post
I sometime get confused at which team's nexus is winning. The health bar that is losing points is brighter and blinking which to me intuitively means that they are winning when it reality the blinking is the health points ticking away. Conversely, the nexus that is safe is dulled out and gray. I understand the point of this but it just doesn't seem to make much intuitive sense.

Is there a way to make the "winning" side stand out and not looked grayed out while still clearly displaying which nexus is losing HP?
Think about it this way:
The end game condition is actually one team losing by having their nexus health drained to zero. Similar to a fighting game.

Because only one team's health can be in that draining state at a given moment, visual priority is focused around them as they are moving towards the end game condition.

As Boourns mentioned, the visualization may be too positive. If draining had a negative appearance, it might be easier to wrap your head around. The fighting game metaphor could help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNigel View Post
- Cursor gem when hovering over point turning from green to red when you are interrupted and unable to cap
We have this It even includes a cd timer.

Maybe it's not obvious enough. Look for it next time you play and provide feedback, please.

Agg

09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
As Boourns mentioned, the visualization may be too positive. If draining had a negative appearance, it might be easier to wrap your head around. The fighting game metaphor could help as well.
I wonder what it would look like if the white-ish shiny parts of the animation were black or some other darker color?