Dominion Gameplay Concepts

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calisti

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyde05 View Post
TL;DR It's okay to have a low score if you've tied up the other team for an extended time.
Slightly off topic, but I agree that the point system needs some work. I can get more points by capping a point with two other people than doing something more useful, like rushing to another point to capture or defend. I love getting reward for wasting my team's time. *smirk*

p.s. Great original post. =)

Quantumprophecy

09-24-2011

god dammit, how can I get all future team mates to read this ****.

shraggrath

09-24-2011

2 defenders gives a little breathing room because 1 defender doesn't necessarily have to cover the whole map. the 3 attackers works out nicely, but you should have 1 stealthy/assassin that focuses more on mobility and poking/ capping undefended nodes. you'll consistantly have 3 nodes capped regardless of where they are on the map.

Unprovokable

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2011

nice guide

Ravenshire

09-27-2011

This is pretty solid, straightforward advice.

Thanks for contributing this.

Smoky

09-27-2011

Bump, well said

GnomeDigest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2011

I think the OP underestimates the value of defending when your team has three capped. My last game with rammus (surprising considering I was last pick in draft) there were times we had 3 and I was the only one at Windmill.

I spent my team pushing the minions a bit toward the enemies turret but basically staying close to windmill to be able to defend it. I broke a couple of the OPs guidelines.

I couldnt clear the waves very quickly. I wasnt actively defending because for periods the enemies wouldnt come. But making sure to hold that one, and also still be semi-close to stop a ninja attempt at the Drill proved invaluable.

Sure I could have powerballed off to try to find a fight bot or try a ninja cap one of their turrets but in my opinion that would have put me far out of position for what was actually needed; to continue holding 3 points.

Now when I saw too many of the enemy go bot I would quickly push to their turret and start capping to force them to either lose it or come interrupt me but I wouldnt just dash there out of some over-manic need to be doing something every single second of the match that appears useful in the moment, but is actually counterproductive to winning the game.

Meltoria

09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Cow View Post
My friends and I had a pretty good strategy working.

Two "defenders" to take the two nodes adjacent to the base and hold them.
Champions that excelled at this role were Shaco, Heimerdinger, Yorick, Cho'gath.

3 "attackers" to head directly for the windmill. Each attacker was specialized in some way (One tanky, one hard dps, and one speed for ninja capping).
The best attackers were Gangplank, Lee Sin, Rammus, Jarvan, Teemo, Yi, Akali, etc.

With heimer and shaco defending, no advances could be made on our bottom or central nodes. This lockdown allowed us to consistently 3-cap no matter what the situation. I expect to see some 'total defense' strategies like this in the future.
Yeah especially with this new champ coming out, heim on 1 point this artillery guy on another and you have some solid defense with the least amount of people.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-27-2011
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Great post OP. Time is the resource in these games, and while losing some time won't lose you the game, squandering it will quickly.

I generally agree with your assessment of "how to think about Dominion", and that's to compare every action to its time cost, then value that action based on time-to-result. This is generally always changing, and the most successful teams have an intuitive knowledge of this.

Tymat

09-28-2011

bamp and a +1, good day sir