[GUIDE] Masteries

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ERazER

Senior Member

09-09-2009

Fortify provides 9 damage, not 6.
Clairvoyance got changed.
Also, +0.5 looks better than +.5


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mol4r

Junior Member

09-09-2009

Good quick summary of the different talents for each mastery tree.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-09-2009

I have greed specced with my last point (8/0/21 for stuff I want) because the remaining choices were .2 more ap/level, which is niceish but not every hero benefits from it, Flash cd reduction, which is nice but I don't always use flash, or Greed, which is almost useless but benefits every hero. I dont have the patience to respec every hero I pick, and I switch every every game. Plus, my carry rune page uses three Avarices, so I get .4 gold/sec extra. Not great, probably useless, but I use it.

IMO the best benefit you can get out of masteries are the things harder to get through items. Summoner spell upgrades are neat if you have specific plans, and summoner spell cooldown reduction is awesome. Then, I think the -9% cooldown reduction you can get while picking up 4% extra hp and mp regen, 5% exp gain, and 3% extra movespeed is pretty awesome. The only other standout things, to me, are 5% damage reduction, which requires you to go very deep in a pretty mediocre tree, and 10% dodge and the movespeed-after-dodge buff, which is really only useful for Jax but is an option.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HowlingKommando

Senior Member

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatorture View Post
I have greed specced with my last point (8/0/21 for stuff I want) because the remaining choices were .2 more ap/level, which is niceish but not every hero benefits from it, Flash cd reduction, which is nice but I don't always use flash, or Greed, which is almost useless but benefits every hero.
People play differently, so if you think 180 gold over 30 minutes is going to help you, then by all means pick Greed.

However, I'd personally recommend most players to simply pay more attention on last-hitting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyatomorrow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-09-2009

Greed is 1 gold per 10seconds.
Which translates to 6 gold a minute, or 240 gold by the end of a 40min game... Rather minuscule...

I wouldn't recommend Quintessence of Avarice either, there are so many other Quintessences that can spell the difference between a kill and a miss...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-09-2009

It's not that I think Greed is particularly good, it was just the last point I had that could apply to everyone. I play some carries with 3 quints of alacrity and buy ~3 blades of avarice, the extra gold builds up fast. If I wasn't too lazy to respec I would not include it in my build, though. Anyways, the final important thing to my evaluation is that Greed = 1 Quint Rune, while most points spent = a primary colored rune at best, usually not even. A quint rune is more valuable than a primary colored rune.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenote

Junior Member

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatorture View Post
It's not that I think Greed is particularly good, it was just the last point I had that could apply to everyone. I play some carries with 3 quints of alacrity and buy ~3 blades of avarice, the extra gold builds up fast. If I wasn't too lazy to respec I would not include it in my build, though. Anyways, the final important thing to my evaluation is that Greed = 1 Quint Rune, while most points spent = a primary colored rune at best, usually not even. A quint rune is more valuable than a primary colored rune.
The only thing that proves is that the Quint rune with +1 gold is pretty much ****.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frozt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

09-26-2009

An avarice quint rune is also a waste. Trust me, do the math. After playing a bit you'll find the sum of gold by the end of an average gamelength will surprise you in terms of its miniscule size.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PiousFlea

The Council

09-26-2009

180 gold over 30 minutes isn't bad when you realize that it's just one skill point.

For example, 0.66% crit for one skill point. 18% crit = 880 gold. Proportionally speaking, that 0.66% crit is worth 33 gold.

2 armor for one skill point is worth 20 gold in itemization.

1% attackspeed is worth 25 gold in itemization.

180 gold is A LOT.


Similar math applies to Avarice quints. 540g willl buy you a +250 HP crystal. This is moderately more HP than you'd get by stacking HP quints, and it gets better as you go later into the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slide

Senior Member

09-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousFlea View Post
180 gold over 30 minutes isn't bad when you realize that it's just one skill point.

For example, 0.66% crit for one skill point. 18% crit = 880 gold. Proportionally speaking, that 0.66% crit is worth 33 gold.

2 armor for one skill point is worth 20 gold in itemization.

1% attackspeed is worth 25 gold in itemization.

180 gold is A LOT.


Similar math applies to Avarice quints. 540g willl buy you a +250 HP crystal. This is moderately more HP than you'd get by stacking HP quints, and it gets better as you go later into the game.
He makes a good point. I think people are too hard on the gold over time items. What we should really be looking at is WHEN you get these bonuses.

A perfect example is jungling. You generally want to spec your runes and masteries so you are more effective at level 1. Obviously gold over time items wont help you here. However, if you are playing a carry character, what Pious Flea mentioned becomes very important. Why spend a mastery point for 0.66% crit chance when you can get more from the gold you get from greed or an avarice rune.

Point being, dont always take the most common opinion on a forum as law. You need to remember that most people here are followers and will blindly quote people they feel know more then them.


123