Dominion Gameplay Concepts

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rilgon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

Downvote for not including Zilean as one of the best roamers/backdoor-ers.

Jerk.

Campeen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

This should be stickied to the top of the page.

Hannor

09-23-2011

All great points. Good read.

I would like to add something about promote. If you are pushing into a one man defender, you can use promote and kite around, threatening to cap channel. The enemy either must chase you away, letting the minions at least neutralize the point, or the defender has to kill the minions, while you take free potshots at the defender.. Most likely, they will be calling for help, though. At this point you withdraw as your team either push caps, ninja caps, or takes the center buff.

Guyde

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arblis View Post
Yeeeess this is what I keep trying to tell people! What's important is TIME! "I may have a crappy score this game, but the whole time, I had at least two people after me, trying to catch me. I hope you took that opportunity to win for us, mister teammate."
TL;DR It's okay to have a low score if you've tied up the other team for an extended time.

It's unfortunate that your score is often useless when it comes to measuring your time contribution. Let's illustrate...

You run over to their mid point and occupy three of their players for a full minute, then die without getting a kill.
- You invested 60 seconds + maybe 20 seconds of time spent dead = 80 seconds
- The other team invested 180 seconds trying to kill you
180 - 80 = 100
Result: You cost the other team 100 seconds, over twice as much time as you invested! It's like someone on their team was AFK for a minute and a half.

The math will vary, and it doesn't count gold for kills, but hopefully it illustrates the point.

Meanwhile, the rest of your team steamrolls a couple capture points. Which player was key in the overall picture? Which player then gets called "idiot" and "useless" for having a lower Dominion score and dying? You, the tactically-aware, self-sacrificing player.

Fortunately, if you can ignore the ignorami on your team, you will be rewarded with a victory. It's the new way of carrying your team in Dominion. You have no score to prove it and your team may not recognize it, but you know what you did, and the losing enemy team knows it. :P

MrToasty

09-24-2011

+1 great guide

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-24-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

good summary

RiChToFeN

09-24-2011

Dominion can be fun if u play with bans because some champions are too OP to be used.....its like playing Twisted Treeline....u guys need to check this out dont leave it like the 3on3 map with no balance at all

Ladnil

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilvado View Post
3) Staying in the jungle is generally better than staying directly beside a point. Why? You can respond more quickly to any part of the map the closer you are to the center.
So, so much this, but at the same time you don't really want to play defense from anywhere but under your own tower. Unless the engagement is going to be an auto-win, you should fight under your own turret on defense. Offense, obviously you want to take the fight away from the turret. Alistar and Blitzcrank are great for getting people out.

Polaritie

09-24-2011

This is a very good analysis. I can't disagree with anything here, really.

Also, a map where Nidalee is awesome is great.

Sergar

09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoliDesu View Post
I have yet to see someone mention how much Poppy can fulfill any of these roles.

Defender = Waste enemy time with stun and take away tons of hp. Great at zone control and with a movespeed steroid she can get back in position should she need to shut down someone.

Attacker = One of the best 1v1ers in the game, and simply annihilates squishy champs. Great burst and excels in the assassin role.

Roaming = With a movespeed steroid and some boots of mobility, Poppy can effectively fulfill this role (though not as well as Rammus, Singed, Master Yi) while maintaining an aspect of dominance on squishy champs.

The only problems with Poppy is she has a bad matchup with all the Tier 1 roamers: Rammus, Singed, Master Yi. Luckily though, if you're playing draft these champs are often banned.
You find a Rammus on the enemy team, you go AP and then it's a good match up. If you got all the way through the DI, DFG, Ignite, Wall Charge, LB proc, Devastating Blow, LB proc combo on a MS rammus, I'd be surprised.