Winning team is invincible to point loss

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

09-23-2011
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Both were tried. I personally think I'd vastly prefer this style, although I'll admit I didn't play on the other. The comebacks feel AMAZING, and I'm not sure how this 'punishes you for doing well'. If you are doing well...wouldn't you have the 3cap?

MehtaMezhan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
If you are doing well...wouldn't you have the 3cap?
I strongly disagree.
If you're holding majority turrets for most of the game, have a strong point lead, and momentarily lose majority rule... how is that not "doing well"?

I feel like "amazing comebacks" are interesting, just in some cases not warranted. Consider fun versus anti-fun: sure, it's great to make a huge comeback, but how frustrating is it for the opposing who had a strong lead, yet lost the entire match due to (say) an unlucky fight?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but it feels bananas to go from a score like 300-60 to 0-60.
This happened 2-3 times in the six (or so) games I tried yesterday.

That felt arbitrary, and really turned me off on the game mode.

injerd

09-23-2011

This is a good point, just because you're 300-40 doesn't mean all you have to do is get 20 more kills. You have to continue to do well and actually win the game instead of resting on your lead.

This is not a bad mechanic, this is a good mechanic.

It wasn't arbitrary, you team initially did well, then stopped doing well.

BadgerBarrage

09-23-2011

I believe it's that once the nexus health is <=100 kills no longer drop points from it. I fail to see how this makes the winning team invincible...

Now if I misunderstood and by winning team you meant the team with more towers, then I believe the mechanic was included so that a losing team who managed gain the upper hand in map control could still make a comeback.

I personally think it makes for more fun and exciting games. It's capture and hold, if you can't manage to hold against a team you seem to believe you're beating pretty badly, I don't see why you should win. Like SR, it's not about the kills.

RattyZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2011

If the mechanic did not work like this, there might be a point when you stop caring about Towers and only care about kills.

That defeats the underlying purpose of Dominion.

Cyxe

09-23-2011

So... just because you start out well, that means the other team can't also "do well?" if they earned a 3 cap, and defended it, i think they are doing quite well. I agree with Jozrael, I had some amazing comebacks yesterday and lost some really close games too. If you get stuck on just one round, you're missing out. This is ultimately why I hate SR, you get a little unlucky at the start and you're screwed for the duration. F that.

ALMarshun

09-23-2011

agreed as well.

there really should be a mechanic to loose points per death (maybe based on how many points you control? more cp more point loss per death? -2 when cp >= 3 and -1 otherwise?)

although the main reason i feel this way is not because of matches where it goes 300-40 when the other team just has better defense of their 3 points. the reason is because death has become meaningless in dominion.
It adds to your score if you die as a "Martyr" which is not helpful IMO, a lot of the time i just find myself suicide diving a point or enemy. I end up dying but i accomplish two possible things: I either kill an enemy, freeing up the cp for my slower teammates to cap, or i dont kill anyone and delay the advance(or capture if suiciding my own loosing cp) of the enemy so the team can catch up.

Normally in SR i have a very nice KD of usually 4:1 on a carry. in Dom i tend to have a 1:3 KD since it doesnt matter if i die as long as the team is in the right positions to take advantage of my death.

MehtaMezhan

09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alidardeath View Post
Now if I misunderstood and by winning team you meant the team with more towers, then I believe the mechanic was included so that a losing team who managed gain the upper hand in map control could still make a comeback.
That is indeed what I meant; my point is that comebacks are definitely possible, but IMO too strong. Again, it felt pretty arbitrary when it happened (see my post above, below Jozrael)

Ragnar Draconus

09-23-2011

The problem is that kills don't count for nexus health after it drops below 100. We lost a game at the very end because me team kept chasing for kills to try and get the last 10 hp from the nexus down. It should be either changed, or explained well enough that this confusion doesn't exist.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

09-23-2011
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehtaMezhan View Post
If you're holding majority turrets for most of the game, have a strong point lead, and momentarily lose majority rule... how is that not "doing well"?

I feel like "amazing comebacks" are interesting, just in some cases not warranted. Consider fun versus anti-fun: sure, it's great to make a huge comeback, but how frustrating is it for the opposing who had a strong lead, yet lost the entire match due to (say) an unlucky fight?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but it feels bananas to go from a score like 300-60 to 0-60.
This happened 2-3 times in the six (or so) games I tried yesterday.

That felt arbitrary, and really turned me off on the game mode.
If you lost, they controlled more turrets than you for longer. Even a 5cap is not going to end the game if you had above 50-70 points left and you're able to wrest 2 points fairly quickly. "Momentarily losing majority rule" is going to bring that 300 to like...250. Max. Unless we have different definitions of momentary.

I've never seen a game of Dominion decided by a single fight. It's because there's a slight positive slope depending on how well you are doing. In standard MOBA play there is a negative slope, aka snowballing. The more you are winning, the easier it is to win because you're now stronger. In something like a standard fps, there is a neutral slope. Winning simply means you are that many points ahead of the enemy that they will need to come back by. In Dominion, if you're trying to hold 4 points you are spread thinnn.

12345612 ... 22