Dominion balance: Why you should not worry, why right now it is currently fine.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xariann

09-22-2011

Way too early to say whether something is balanced or not. People will quickly point the finger at something that smashed them a few times and say, "It's OP" where there wasn't enough time to figure out a strategy for it. I have seen this happen in another strategy game where some were quick to point fingers at a race or another at some point in time saying it was OP, until people simply worked out a strategy against it, and suddenly that race felt underpowered because the metagame had shifted.

What I can say is that I have had a lot more fun in Dominion than I have ever had in SR, although admittedly, I am a fairly new pvp player. However somehow I seem to do better in Dominion whenever I play. Wait a little, discussions are obviously a good thing because problems need to come up, but do remember that you can't look at your champions the same way you do when you play SR, as others have mentioned as well as the OP of course..

Algol1

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychicken View Post
My only problem with Dominion so far is the overwhelming fear of death that people seem to have, I've seen my teams and the enemies teams run away after victorious team fights rather than capture the node they were fighting for because they have low health.

In relation to champ balance, every champ brings something to the table, the players must stop thinking in terms of SR before some of those things will come to light.
I go almost suicidal in dominion is fun how aggressive you can be.

GnomeDigest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusia View Post
For example, champions that can clear waves and push very well can use minions to put pressure on many different capture points without having to engage the other team.
This doesnt seem match up to the actual game.

You are spending time killing minions instead of capping. The enemies have vision on you and can easily respond to a few minions since apparently you are backing off as you get close to their turret. Every time an enemy minion wave spawns it delays your minions even more. This map is all about speed and a push strategy sounds as slow as it gets.

To put pressure on multiple lanes means you have to get to those different places and the moment you try to travel to the other lane you are super-exposed unless you take the long way around which is a huge waste of time. Wasting time on Dominion = losing.

Mcyborg

09-22-2011

I honestly don't get it, people say its balanced yet you see the same champs picked almost every game and completely destroying................. I hate you guys who always try to argue just because you had one game where the champ that isn't considered op managed to do good.

GnomeDigest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusia View Post
It may take a while for people to get used to this idea, but I completely agree that Dominion creates different roles for champions.
Like say, benchwarmer?

Xuanxue NA

09-22-2011

apparently you don't enjoy playing casters. Nor do you address the fact that items specific to this game mode heavily favour ad champs

Irongrinder

09-22-2011

It isn't perfect. It probably never will be.

I'll love it all the same, though.

Lachdannen

09-22-2011

While not balanced, this certainly was a lot more balanced than I expected it to be. There are going to be some champions that people are going to whine about. Just like they do in summoners rift. It's just going to be for a different reason. But they are NOT unbeatable.

Garen for example, keeps getting banned cause people don't like dealing with him. And I agree, he's a good hero, he's hard to kill, ect. But then two games straight back to back, I out played him (One as Renekton, one as Annie). It's not a matter of champion balance, for the most part. It's a matter of player balance, a people not knowing how to play the map yet. There are things I think could use some work (pushing minion waves takes too long to be productive, imo. Only times I did was if they were already almost to a tower anyway, and I wanted the covering fire. ) but over all, as a COMPLIMENTARY mode to Summoners Rift and Twisted Treeline, I think Dominion is well done.

Sykper

09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmiester View Post
apparently you don't enjoy playing casters. Nor do you address the fact that items specific to this game mode heavily favour ad champs
Brand, Swain, Kassadin are the favorite casters I play in SR and I do quite well with them if I do say so myself... Playing some Brand in Dominion today as well, hit and miss, its a different experience than my tanks.

Concerning the newest items, I really cannot deny the fact that there are quite a few more AD based items than AP based, does that mean Riot favors AD champions over AP? Hardly, it probably just means that the current AP items in the game right now blend quite well with AP casters. You can STILL get a RoA and make it efficient as long as you get it early, Odyn's Veil is the new Banshee's, it also comes with a benefit of blowing up any foes currently in your face already, etc.

I will admit I like playing tanks far more than any other class in the game, but that is not a reason or argument to say 'well then AP casters are UP since you do not play them', that is simply wrong.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-22-2011
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Good post - this is more how we see the roles broken up, too.

Unlearning old habits is hard to do for anyone. This is why we're waiting a bit to do ranked, so people can learn the strategies and tactics more fully before they go on a ladder.