Limited Beta and Testing "Server Load and Stress" Is Smoke and Mirrors

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunderstorm View Post
I just don't understand what you could be tweaking. You know that you will have a high load, can't you use data from things like holiday weekends or other high stress times?

Also knowing its going to be extremely high load, how does this help you? What will you do different on release that you don't already do at other high load times?

(1) Nothing is free, the F2P is really just a form of advertisement. Like a free sample. They know you will like the game then they release tons of champions and you want to play them so you buy them with money. Most players do this

(2) Just because its "free" doesn't mean they don't want players. The more people that play this game and the longer they play == more money for Riot
Simply, we've never released a feature that will dramatically spike the server like this - it's a massive update that will not only draw attention from the existing LoL base, but former and new players as well. The platform guys can speak more to this than I, but it's assuredly a technology reason.

The other reason is that having this up sooner = more people playing, which translates into more RP transactions. From a marketing/business standpoint, the sooner we turn it on, the better.

Luchen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-21-2011

Dominion limited release?
Ancient Aliens.

srsizzy

09-21-2011

OP is dumb. There was weird lag in all four of the games I played today (in nexus health count-down, in auto-attacks, and in ability usage). I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but it was buggy and it was definitely a real issue. I didn't experience these issues at PAX, nor do I ever in Summoner's Rift.

Zenzii

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogique View Post
no because Dominion games are almost twice as short and thus more games will be playing and going on constantly. I'm not working for Riot nor do I know a thing about servers, but that is the reasoning they gave IIRC.
I Believe it also because it looks like dominion uses a bit more server capacity just for all the stuff going on in the background ect.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchen View Post
Dominion limited release?
Ancient Aliens.
I love that show - so silly and ridiculous

Wreckaden

09-21-2011

For all people still complaining about Riot's "tests", just think back to Leona's patch day, we all know that wasn't the nicest patch ever

MASSTADEN

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzii View Post
I Believe it also because it looks like dominion uses a bit more server capacity just for all the stuff going on in the background ect.
I dunno about that, but I'm almost positive that's the reason Riot gave a while back. plus what Morello said.

to say this is a conspiracy is just ridiculous. the first test went pretty **** smooth on my end (I had no lag, no trouble starting games etc) and that seems to be the case with everyone else that I've seen so with the good results I'd hardly say they're going to drag this out to November. the community would lynch Riot for that.

TheFunderstorm

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Simply, we've never released a feature that will dramatically spike the server like this - it's a massive update that will not only draw attention from the existing LoL base, but former and new players as well. The platform guys can speak more to this than I, but it's assuredly a technology reason.

The other reason is that having this up sooner = more people playing, which translates into more RP transactions. From a marketing/business standpoint, the sooner we turn it on, the better.
I understand that it will spike the servers. I just wonder how you could possibly prepare against this? I mean other than renting extra server space temp. or installing more servers for release day, how is this limited testing actually preparing Riot for Dominion Release Day?

Zenzii

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I love that show - so silly and ridiculous
I have a hard time believing its on the history channel but its not bad.

GGnoreagah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

Ok.

12345678 ... 10