Limited Beta and Testing "Server Load and Stress" Is Smoke and Mirrors

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brackhar

Features Designer

09-21-2011
1 of 8 Riot Posts

Although I too am a fan of a good conspiracy theory, it really is just because we want to be cautious about the day 1 load of Dominion, both on the gameplay server and platform side. By doing this limited beta, evaluating the data, and then doing rapid tweaks, we can make sure that the entire system doesn't collapse once we flip the switch full time. 'Cause that'd be a bad experience for everyone.

Hypersauce

09-21-2011

Marketing what? It's a free game. If they released Dominion today they could still run an ad campaign for it in November.

Killah1091

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSfighter View Post
I somewhat agree with the OP. I don't know why there are so many people just going OK. Learn to write people?
Ok.

Stinglock

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSfighter View Post
I somewhat agree with the OP. I don't know why there are so many people just going OK. Learn to write people?
ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4trPZFUwc

CaiusTSR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2011

No. If you actually knew what you were talking about then you would know that's not the case. I don't claim to be an expert, but the beta is for the very purpose of testing the servers. By gradually extending the time they let people play the more they know how much it they can handle during peak hours. Today we got 2 hours tomorrow we may get three or 2 and half hours. They will increase the time gradually so the people who normally missed it will get a chance to play and they get there data everyone is happy.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-21-2011
2 of 8 Riot Posts

Grassy knoll, magic bullet.

TheFunderstorm

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Although I too am a fan of a good conspiracy theory, it really is just because we want to be cautious about the day 1 load of Dominion, both on the gameplay server and platform side. By doing this limited beta, evaluating the data, and then doing rapid tweaks, we can make sure that the entire system doesn't collapse once we flip the switch full time. 'Cause that'd be a bad experience for everyone.
I just don't understand what you could be tweaking. You know that you will have a high load, can't you use data from things like holiday weekends or other high stress times?

Also knowing its going to be extremely high load, how does this help you? What will you do different on release that you don't already do at other high load times?

Quote:
Its a free game blah blah
(1) Nothing is free, the F2P is really just a form of advertisement. Like a free sample. They know you will like the game then they release tons of champions and you want to play them so you buy them with money. Most players do this

(2) Just because its "free" doesn't mean they don't want players. The more people that play this game and the longer they play == more money for Riot

Truhls

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
you guys make it sound like taking these precautions will actually stop it. it wont lol.

MASSTADEN

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunderstorm View Post
I just don't understand what you could be tweaking. You know that you will have a high load, can't you use data from things like holiday weekends or other high stress times?
no because Dominion games are almost twice as short and thus more games will be playing and going on constantly. I'm not working for Riot nor do I know a thing about servers, but that is the reasoning they gave IIRC.

Shini Laser

09-21-2011

Quote:

Also knowing its going to be extremely high load, how does this help you? What will you do different on release that you don't already do at other high load times?
No since Dominion is a different beast and has different things that goes on that stress the servers more than your normal SR. And they can fix the coding to be more efficient, which reduces the stress.

Quote:
(1) Nothing is free, the F2P is really just a form of advertisement. Like a free sample. They know you will like the game then they release tons of champions and you want to play them so you buy them with money. Most players do this

(2) Just because its "free" doesn't mean they don't want players. The more people that play this game and the longer they play == more money for Riot
Once I see a TV advertisement for LoL, I'll claim they are truly trying to compete against console games. Trust me, Riot probably looks at CoD and shrugs.

1234567 ... 10