@Riot - Why use Adobe Air?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yovalord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-20-2011

Seriously though, and this is treading slightly off topic, but having an actual cool fullscreen client would give suchhhh a better feeling to the first impresssions section of the game. I for one when i started 2 years ago, first logged in and was like "Well this is a bit. . . cheap feeling". Obviously im still here but even compared to the WC3 client it really just seems. . . cheap. Everything has a rather clunky feel to it as well. Dont get me wrong, it HAS improved, but i don't think it's capable of being like any of your competitors:
HoN
Bloodline Champions
DotA
even crappy avalon hero's has a nicer client

boourns

UI Designer

09-20-2011
5 of 7 Riot Posts

I've been told that there's a hotfix that is being tested in preparation for deployment, don't know the exact timing on it though since this is second hand info. I'd recommend testing on that after the fix to see if it helps. If that doesn't help it is probably a different issue that we'll try to solve as well, although it seems very weird that AIR would ever take that much CPU on more than one processor. It's not exactly known for being a multithreaded platform!

Sadly the AIR engineers aren't that active on the forums which is why you don't see much info, since they are the ones who would be able to speak about this issue.

boourns

UI Designer

09-20-2011
6 of 7 Riot Posts

BTW, I hear we pushed the hotfix out last night/this morning. If you're still having problems, it would be good to see the %processor time on all the *threads* for LOLClient in perfmon. From what I see here thread 0 takes up the bulk of the time on my CPU when the AIR client is active and then it drops by about 70-80% when it is minimized (and hopefully in game as well).

Wooblez

09-20-2011

Thank you for looking more in depth to this problem boourns. It's really appreciated from the people just wanting this to be fixed so they can actually go back to playing. Is there anyway by chance you can contact anyone to try to get the people that handle the "Client department" to post in the mega thread about this issue?

Heres the thread : http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1150758

Regardless if you can or can't thank you for providing us with some info

JonTehKnight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
BTW, I hear we pushed the hotfix out last night/this morning. If you're still having problems, it would be good to see the %processor time on all the *threads* for LOLClient in perfmon. From what I see here thread 0 takes up the bulk of the time on my CPU when the AIR client is active and then it drops by about 70-80% when it is minimized (and hopefully in game as well).
Even when minimized it jumps from about 15% to 35% randomly. This didn't happen only a few patches ago.

JiggaHERTZ

09-20-2011

So I just spent about half the day at work trying not to be caught installing League in a newly setup Hyper-V virtual machine, Remote Desktop Services with RemoteFX, and a VPN to my home connection to get around the firewall. On a 4 Processor, quad core Xeon with Hyperthreading enabled system. For a total of 32 logical "cores." On Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise as the host system and Standard for the VM.

The game ran at about 30fps most likely because of all the trickery used to even get it to run. But it was smooth.

The most telling information is from the AIR client. 13 total threads from the AIR client, 4 threads seemed to be totally idle, 2 threads had a utilization of around 5%. The other 7 threads ranged from 80% to 25% variably, didn't see any 100% usage or stalling. When I get home I'll see if the problem has gotten better. It looks grim but better because while that system might be magnitudes more powerful then my home system, I didn't see the pegging of any core like I've seen at home.

I'll be heading home in an hour or so and I can update then if I don't have anything else to do.

Oza64

09-20-2011

i have been an avid MOBA player before MOBA was even invented and what not. I must say, from experience LoL probably has the worst interface out of the current MOBA games available (DotA, HoN, LoL). Not to say that i am absolutely enjoying the **** out of this game . With DotA(WC3) i never really noticed any issues with the interface and how it worked, it worked pretty much flawlessly throughout the dota days but it was never something that was great. HoN i must admit probably has the best interface around (not to say that DotA2 will smash it out of the park rof) but the game sucks major ****, doesn't feel like dota at all now, Im just angry tbh. But when i tried the LoL interface i found it to be quite sticky and unresponsive for the most part, where once you are in a game you must completely close the game and relogin if you need to cancel the blind pick for whatever reason. Along with other small nitty grittys that make life just that bit harder for me, it may be small but it's still errors that other players will probably encounter at some point while playing this game. Interface is one thing that sets you apart from the rest. HoN has good interface, BAD IDEAS, BAD BALANCE, BAD GAME lol
peace and love

Edit: T-Up for that guy (Jigga) because you are a baws, and i expect to hear an update from you because like you i also don't have anything else to do but sit here at work xD

Verrazzano

09-20-2011

I can say that the memory usage of LoLClient.exe is better than it was yesterday on my laptop. It used to surpass 200,000 K memory usage, but now it reaches a maximum of around 130,000 K before dropping to around 100,000 K and remaining there. I honestly do not know how it affects my in-game FPS yet because I suspended the process with procexp without noticing that there was a hotfix. I'll try the game out after I get back from my classes tomorrow in order to see if there has been an improvement with my FPS too.

The Awesome Twin

09-21-2011

Whatever it was that got changed in the update fixed my problems, the client isn't sitting on 0%, but it's low enough that I can play LoL with it running in the background.

JonTehKnight

09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome Twin View Post
Whatever it was that got changed in the update fixed my problems, the client isn't sitting on 0%, but it's low enough that I can play LoL with it running in the background.
Same here. I get MUCH better performance and it sits at 0-2% when it's minimized.