LoL University: New and struggling with the game? Play a game with me!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eggtart Chow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-29-2010

Official LoL University website

What is LoL University?
League of Legends is what is known as a MOBA: A Multi-Player Battle Arena. MOBA's are a relatively new genre of game with only a handful titles to choose from, and most new League players have little to no experience with the MOBA style of gameplay. The multitude of different tactics, mechanics, and gameplay quirks in LoL can quickly overwhelm newer players (and even advanced players!). Enter LoL University, your ticket to a rewarding game experience!

LoL University is an ever growing community dedicated in helping you (the new player) excel and melt face in League of Legends! We've put together a team of knowledgeable League of Legends players who are willing to take the time to help guide you through the basics of the game, as well as offering their advice, input, and experience towards answering any questions you may have about the game, individual champions, items, builds, or anything else you can dream up (philosophical quandaries by appointment only. :P). These "Mentors" have been vetted fairly extensively, and should all be more than capable of either answering your questions fully, or directing you to those who can. Mentors are also available for 1v1 matches to show you the ropes or work on improving elements of your game, and may even be willing to queue with you for some Co-Op vs. AI or Normal matches!

LoL University was started by Eggtart Chow, our esteemed Grand Poobah. After several years, incarnations and attempts at this, we found a webmaster and new management, and now have a site. Go us.

In-Game Chat
We have an in-game chat room! Here's how to join:

1. On the bottom right of your screen, you see two chat bubbles; this is the chatrooms window. Click on it.
2. Press the button with the + sign. Where it says Create or Join a Chat Room, type in "LoL University" (without the quotes).
3. Welcome to LoL University! *I recommend clicking the cogs (top right corner of chat) immediately after joining the room and checking the "Auto join" button. It'll make it so you don't have to repeat this process every time you log in.

In the in-game chat, we encourage you to find people for games, make friends, ask questions, and generally have a good time. That said, we expect you to be polite, courteous, and avoid excess profanity or anything that would violate the Summoner's Code for acceptable behavior.

The same rules of general politeness and courteousness that we hold you to on the in-game chat apply to any third-party communication program as well.

Becoming a Student
Becoming a student couldn't be easier. You can join chat and look for a mentor, if you want it NOW. Whichever mentor is around at the moment should be able to help, or point you in the direction of someone who can.

Alternatively, you can make a post here in this thread with your summoner name, summoner level, and time playing for/# normal wins/ranked elo/all of the above, along with a short introduction. Feel free to indicate what you'd like help with; be as specific as possible to help your mentor figure out what to focus on. PLEASE NOTE, it doesn't hurt to say "I need help with EVERYTHING", though if you can be more specific, it'll help us help you more effectively. (That is, if you know what you're asking, please ask. If not, we'll help you figure that out too.)

Or you can make a post in our offsite forum. (link at top of post) NOTE THAT LOL U FORUM MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED TO POST STUDENT APPLICATIONS IN THAT FORUM. This is because we really, really don't want to deal with spam.

We'll either assign you to a mentor, or a mentor will volunteer to take you on as a student. You should be receiving an in-game friend request about this. Please let us know how the experience was for you, as knowing this will help us improve our mentoring for future students!

Example Application:

Quote:
Summoner Name: NewPlayerXSummoner Level: 5Playing For: 2 weeksTime zone/usually online at: 8pm-10pm CST weekdays, all day weekends (We do try not to match mentors with students who are never online at the same time.)I'd like to improve my last-hitting, as well as learn how to control my lane better. I really like ranged attack damage carries (especially Ashe) and would like to improve, but I'm also interested in trying a few tanks (Amumu seems interesting). My positioning could also use some improvement, as I find myself dying a lot in teamfights.
Q: What about those of us who don't want to be official students and have assigned mentors and everything?
A: Feel free to drop into chat any time. As long as you abide by the chat rules, we're happy to have you.

Becoming a Mentor
So you think you can mentor? Excellent! LoL University is always looking for skilled players to join our ranks of mentors. If you're interested in teaching new players how to play, fill out the simple application located on our site. Note that LoL U forum membership IS required to apply for mentorship. Our student distribution is handled through our own forum, we need you there for admin purposes.

To be added to the list of Mentors you will need to be evaluated by a qualified member of the Council: contact one of these individuals for evaluation after submitting your application. You will not be judged solely on gameplay skill. Instead, or in addition, you will be judged on how well you mentor, your attitude, your methods of mentoring, and how active of a player you are. You must also be level 30. Additionally, mentors are encouraged (but not required) to download Ventrilo, Skype, or some other free voice chat program, as communication with your students is a very useful tool in your teaching arsenal.

Note that becoming a mentor is a commitment. You will be expected to be willing to actually instruct the players you have agreed to mentor: this may include discussions, 1v1 matches, or even making a Smurf account and playing a few games alongside them. If you're not willing to actually commit to helping new players, do not waste our time by signing up.

Also, note that filling out an application does NOT mean you will be a mentor right away, or at all. You have to go through the evaluation process first. Once you have been cleared, we'll start assigning you students, or you can be pro-active and go stake your claim on them first.

Q: What about those of us who want to help, but don't have enough time to mentor according to the criteria?
A: Our distribution service will take into account how much or how little time you have, but what's a mentor without students? As always, chat is open, but I'm afraid that's all we can offer right now.

Events
LoL University runs teaching events on occasion. The event announcements will be posted in our Announcements forum, this thread and the New Players Forum on the main LoL boards. Look out for them!

---

Side Note (Last Edited: May 11, 2013)
While I have had an absolute blast mentoring over the years I do believe it is time I retire from mentoring. I simply don't have as much free time as I used to and the free time I get to play LoL I'd like to just play the game (I was active almost everyday for over a year mainly just teaching). I may do an occasional session every now and then and I'll definitely still be in the chat room lurking and helping. Just because I'm retiring, however, doesn't mean you should hesitate to add me, I add everyone! I still help everyone who messages me questions. Feel free to message me just to say hey, as well! I've met a ton of great players over the years and am looking forward to meeting YOU!

My personal retirement does NOT mean that LoL University has ended, however. There are still a TON of people who are extremely dedicated and passionate who are keeping this program alive! I am beyond thankful and honestly amazed that so many wonderful people are grabbing the reigns to give me a well-deserved break. LoL University will never die!

BrokenBoySoulja

05-30-2010

Hiya Eggtart, I'm having a lot of trouble learning how last hit safely with melee characters (esp. Nasus)- would you be able to play a couple of games to help demonstrate?
Cheers

p.s. I'm on GMT if that helps

Eggtart Chow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBoySoulja View Post
Hiya Eggtart, I'm having a lot of trouble learning how last hit safely with melee characters (esp. Nasus)- would you be able to play a couple of games to help demonstrate?
Cheers

p.s. I'm on GMT if that helps
Sure can, my friend. Just message me in game anytime I'm on and I'll try my best to help you. I may not be on as much today as I'm going to a family cookout, but I'll try to catch you.

BrokenBoySoulja

05-30-2010

Thank you, Ill most likely not be on this evening much either, but I'll add you now anyway

roninsm

05-30-2010

I haven't forgotten you brokenboy, just been busy so I haven't had time to play much.

Arkhar

05-30-2010

Just wanted to type a quick note to say thanks for offering your guidance, Eggtart!

We just played a practice game together and your advice on how to play more efficiently with Mordekaiser should definitely help me to take my game to the next level.

Thanks again!

BrokenBoySoulja

05-30-2010

no worries roninsm, im quite busy myself

TheInsomniac

05-31-2010

Hey Eggtart, I added you in game. I'm level 9 and I've been playing for about 3 days. I really suck, mainly because I always get overwhelmed by the enemy team. I usually fall behind in leveling and I can never get enough gold to buy the more expensive items.

Another reason why I suck is because I never know what items to buy. I'm also having a hard time picking out a champion. I bought Twisted Fate as my first permanent champion but he kinda sucks and is really hard to use. I don't know how to use any other champions effectively though.

BrokenBoySoulja

05-31-2010

Thought I'd leave a quick note to say cheers- just played my first couple of games since our talk yesterday and played considerably better after following your advice.
But I'd still like some more practical advice when you have some spare time if that would be ok.

Cheers again

Eggtart Chow

05-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBoySoulja View Post
Thought I'd leave a quick note to say cheers- just played my first couple of games since our talk yesterday and played considerably better after following your advice.
But I'd still like some more practical advice when you have some spare time if that would be ok.

Cheers again
That's great news! Sorry I had to leave yesterday, but I'm thrilled that my advice helped you. I'll try to play with you as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsomniac View Post
Hey Eggtart, I added you in game. I'm level 9 and I've been playing for about 3 days. I really suck, mainly because I always get overwhelmed by the enemy team. I usually fall behind in leveling and I can never get enough gold to buy the more expensive items.

Another reason why I suck is because I never know what items to buy. I'm also having a hard time picking out a champion. I bought Twisted Fate as my first permanent champion but he kinda sucks and is really hard to use. I don't know how to use any other champions effectively though.
Read my basic tips guide and ask me anything on my champion help thread. Message me when you see me on and I'll help as much as I can.