A comprehensive guide to Katarina - The Sinister Blade

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Partizan

09-23-2009

I have an op setup for katarina that makes her invincible but if i told you guys i would have to face invincible katarinas in every game raping me instead of me raping everyone else with my katarina. so sorry i know post is pointless but there is a way to make her a tank its rly funny when you do because of her massive aoe damage.

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2009

Nice to see a guide that doesn't try to stack dodge for no real gain.

I like using her ult from the bushes early on, it does good enough dps and doesn't reveal you and I've had people who weren't paying attention just sit and take all of it and die, it's pretty sweet.

Redrach

09-23-2009

Clever, but that might be hard to pull off considering the range on it. And a smarter opponent will immediately walk away.
Depends on how stupid you think your enemies are, I suppose.

Redrach

09-23-2009

Seems like Katarina might make a good DPSer after all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronach View Post
We just finished making the changes for Katarina for the upcoming patch[...]
One of our goals with Katarina was to make a champion who would have two play styles: a physical dps build with Bouncing Blades being its primary damage source and an AP build built around Shunpo. That will be preserved, but what we didn't like was how ineffective Bouncing Blades was on an AP build and how ineffective the ultimate was for physical damage builds.

falcoBoat

09-25-2009

I've been using roughly this kind of play for a few games and it works extremely well. I prefer to get one in Bouncing Blades a little later, around 8-10 when I'm picking up my Rylai's or close to it, but other than that she is extremely effective in lane if played properly and a very fun character

Nice guide.

Swayyze

09-25-2009

Can someone explain her Ultimate to me, and how the activation works?

Is it basically, activate it and channel it, and it is simply active as a "damage field" of sorts while you are able to do other attacks and abilities? Only it lasts for X seconds or whatever..?

I have played Katarina a couple of times now, but have tried playing her as a carry. It did not work, so I simply was figuring she was broken, but I'll have to give this AP build a shot and play her as an assassin. Thanks for the guide.

Wriggle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post

Is it basically, activate it and channel it, and it is simply active as a "damage field" of sorts while you are able to do other attacks and abilities? Only it lasts for X seconds or whatever..?
You activate it and channel it, and it inflicts damage on X random champions in range, and you can do nothing while you're using it. No moving, no attacking, no anything, or it cancels.

Murder Turtle

Adjudicator

09-25-2009

Nice guide. Kat is one of my favorite heros and i play her almost the same as you do.

Redrach

09-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post

Death Lotus is a channeling spell with a very low range. A common mistake many people do is to activate it near an enemy and then just sit there while he walks away until the channeling time ends. The right thing to do is to Shunpo to the enemy (and slowing him with Rylai's), then run a bit past him into his route of escape (with Lich Bane you should be faster than most heroes) and channel Death Lotus. The moment he runs out of range, cancel the ultimate and Shunpo back onto him.

As for the guide, I've been toying around with getting a Rod of Ages after Rylai's Scepter. It doesn't give as much AP as Soulstealer and the mana is wasted, but the health bonus is nice.
I still need more games to decide if its worth delaying Lich Bane for, though.

N0iR

09-30-2009

hmm nice guide - I've been fooling around a bit with katarina lately aswell, but I prefer playing her a bit more like a hybrid, itemwise.
my usual build is:
skills: Q,W,E,E,E,R etc.

Items
start: dorans blade and a potion - extra damage for last hit and knives, 130hp and not to mention a nice bonus in 1g/5s.
After that I rush for Sheen
then regular boots and quick giant belt into rylai (might upgrade boots before this depending on the situation - usually to 3ms-boots or mr boots)
After this I upgrade sheen to tri-force.

my mastery setup is 21/9/0 with runes giving ms, dodge and -CD (and AS - actually using my sivir page, but not bothering changing)