Black Screen/BugSplat Crash

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

Crashed again with High Shadows (down from Very High). Dropping from Very High to High did seemingly decrease the crash frequency.

Lisande

08-31-2011

Mine crashes with No Shadows (and everything else on very low quality). GeForce 9800GT.

Bump

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainweaver View Post
Mine crashes with No Shadows (and everything else on very low quality). GeForce 9800GT.

Bump
Post logs, information on how to locate logs is available inside the thread!

Snoobles

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwa View Post
Greets Hohums and Co,

No doubt you're busy, so I'll try to make this concise and compiled. I know that you've indicated an error with BugSplat crashing games, but I've had the Black Screen issue prior to the mini-patch (had a tiny update this morning, BugSplat started appearing after that mini-patch), but only after the Talon patch. Already have done a full Repair via the Launcher.

Symptom: Black Screen for 1-3 seconds, with sound. Video Driver failure notification. Sometimes (65% of the time) the system can recover, otherwise the client crashes (not the OS, just LoL, have never experienced a full BSOD inducing video failure with this rig).
GFX Card: GTX580
Steps taken to troubleshoot: Verified card temps are within normal operating range during game, clean reinstall of fully up-to-date Drivers, reduced graphics settings within the game client, ran a Repair using the game launcher.
Frequency: Almost every game (95% of games played since Talon patch), at least once. Last game was the first time it occurred twice within a single game.

This has only occurred post-Talon patch. This only occurs within LoL (I'm an avid gamer with a sizable selection of games).

Seems that there are errors abound within the logs themselves, attached the two logs created from my last game, along with the DXDiag. Again, to reiterate, only occurs within LoL, has not occurred in any other game and/or benchmark, and only after the Talon patch.
Same exact problem. I also do not use LoL recorder.

NvidiaGTS 250

Fatwa

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn??bles View Post
same exact problem. I also do not use lol recorder.

Nvidiagts 250
post logs.

Xubrai

Recruiter

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwa View Post
post logs.
Geez Fatwa, kinda turnin' into the Log Nazi there, aren't ya?

But seriously guys, need to post those logs so we can help Riot figure out the problem.

Fatwa

08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xubrai View Post
Geez Fatwa, kinda turnin' into the Log Nazi there, aren't ya?

But seriously guys, need to post those logs so we can help Riot figure out the problem.
Without logs, they're not part of the solution.

Fatwa

08-31-2011

If anyone uses GPU-Z, please log your data, and take note of your Video Engine Load. I'm investigating further, and will hopefully crash again while logging, but at least one time that I crashed, my Video Engine Load in the log is showing a massive 260% load spike.

Again, anecdotal, will check into it this evening.

Update #2: Confirmed a 260%+ spike during another crashed game with shadows on.

Update #3: GPU load spike of 99% just before the Video Engine Load spike for my August 27th crash (r3dlog linked earlier in thread), will check to see if it exists during other crashes. Confirmed for August 30th crash.

GloriousGlory

08-31-2011

Just had a crash with shadows off. Granted the occurrence of the crash seems much less frequent, it still occurred. I didn't have GPU-Z running to verify the spike, but I am sure that is the case.

hohums

Software Engineer

08-31-2011
1 of 30 Riot Posts

Have you tried locking your framerate to a lower rate in the framerate settings?
[In the past I've seen some drivers that don't free memory correctly and start leaking if they are running to fast.]

Also it would be awesome if you could put your summoner names in your bugsplats so we can look them up.