Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Private Katarina

08-30-2011

Downvoted. This philosophy is ruining the game by forcing Riot to recycle ideas over and over for most new champs.

Sarasin6

08-30-2011

You mention Tomb of Horrors quite bit. Though I would say thats not really accurate or fair comparison. People don't play tomb of horrors to win really they play to see how they will die while getting as far as possible. Or they are masochists.

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

How do you feel about Leona being dependent on her teammates' actions to get the full damage out of her skills? (Just a personal gripe of mine - if my lane partner isn't being aggressive, my damage output drops off sharply)

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Katarina View Post
Downvoted. This philosophy is ruining the game by forcing Riot to recycle ideas over and over for most new champs.
The philosophy of avoiding things that aren't fun whenever possible works just fine. As long as the designers can break it (on occasion, with reason).

FearlessBunny

08-30-2011

Zileas, why is my IP/RP worth less than the IP/RP of a low level/ranked player? Why am I not allowed to have the same amount of fun? Why am I not allowed to enjoy playing a balanced viable champion?

I'm talking about Xin Zhao. I loved playing him, I played him from lvl 10 to 30 and have 150 ranked games with him, then I started to feel that he was to weak compared to the other choices out there, you guys followed it up with nerfing him like 5 times making him unplayable against good players saying he dominates low elo to much

So why can't I pick Xin Zhao and have fun with him in 1500-1600 elo? At this point i'd seriously like a IP refund, he's a joke now. You should listen to your competitive players for once

EgOsEnTriCk

08-30-2011

funny "Anti-Fun > Fun" and then zileas asking him "why he plays LoL" dont worry Zileas Dota 2 soon brother junk philosophy is why Dota is more popular not just reworked spells put on a new champion. Thats all your **** philosophy does.

GrimoireM

08-30-2011

Zileas...You get a lot of hate in here, jesus. I wanted to say something about exhaust, but...you know what, nevermind. Just, if you have time, take a peek at it.

Uccisore

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Katarina View Post
Downvoted. This philosophy is ruining the forums by forcing intelligent people to justify game design common-sense to people that are very loudly ignorant.

Uccisore

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgOsEnTriCk View Post
funny "Anti-Fun > Fun" and then zileas asking him "why he plays LoL" dont worry Zileas Dota 2 soon brother junk philosophy is why Dota is more popular not just reworked spells put on a new champion. Thats all your **** philosophy does.
I had to read this 4 times to even figure out if you were agreeing with Zileas or not.

Clearly you must know a lot about game design.

lorylke

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellsy View Post
who is rumble stolen from?

and, @ the stealing thing, have you seen h o n's champion spotlights? or their monetizing strategy as of late? or... how they've "changed"? they have stolen almost every general feature changes (from LoL and from dota2).
I admit S2 has copied a bunch of money-related things from Riot, they, however, don't have their CEO claiming that other people are stealing **** and they aren't and stuff that they do copy generally doesn't involve any gameplay.

Wukong being an example that's brought up a lot: a. concept art for monkey king is timestamped about a year and some change ago by HoN on their website, so as far as art goes, they got it before riot. b. the heroes have nearly nothing in common, as far as mechanics go. c. The original concept of monkey king comes from a book that gained a significant amount of popularity in the west, and, as such, belongs to original author who is long dead.

wukong art: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=191006

as far as rumble copying goes:
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/heroview.php?hid=124

you cannot deny that two share a staggering amount of similarities. only real differences are tar vs firebreath and melee versus ranged.