Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yakri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

Zileas, sometimes I wonder how you read this thread without having an aneurysm or going on a killing spree.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Yeah, we've talked about doing a demon or devil for a while. We may at some point.
Zileas, what about a monster whose ultimate gives him/her a human form?

Theme wise, the kit could change to make him/her appear untamed and uncontrollable in monster form, but that power becomes highly concentrated and the precision would rise greatly to show the return the human intelligence/experience during the ultimate's duration.

I'm sure plenty of people would like that sort of "The Beauty & the Beast" concept.
It would also make a great juxtaposition to Swain who is a precise strategist as a human, but turns into a giant bird when he gets serious.

monderin

08-30-2011

Quote:
oh right, reminds me, ill go add the false-choice anti-pattern

that's another serious flaw with rupture

Does this mean mocking shout = anti-fun by your defination?

NinetyNineTails

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakri View Post
Zileas, sometimes I wonder how you read this thread without having an aneurysm or going on a killing spree.
He hasn't?

ljkch

08-30-2011

Rupture is one of the funnest spells in the game but it is easily countered by a tp scroll, bkb or linkens.
Diffusal blade is an awesome item and it gives dps much more depth and gives them a lot more strstegy and options.

SoullessFire

08-30-2011

Zil, what's your defense on Fiddles' fear then? With its range, it really doesn't deserve the ridiculous length of cc it offers.

HeartlessXiao

08-30-2011

Quote:
Adrift? Maybe. You only see perhaps 15 or so characters with any regularity in the first 10 levels -- free week + the 450 IP champions. I think that's a lot more manageable than the 80 you see at level 30.
I kind of feel you took one part of his post you disagreed with and disregarded everything else. I would really like to hear a response to the rest of his post, as I agree with a lot of it.

Burden of knowledge is inevitable, but I feel that many of the newer mechanics have been bland and unsatisfying. It's always on-hit Q, shield/ gap closer W, cc/ nuke E, AoE ultimate. As a result, I have been rather unwilling to purchase many of the new champions, and the ones I do, I am quite disappointed with.

Literal Potato

08-30-2011

Quote:
It wont be as much in the mid-december patch. We are reducing global XP rewards in general, and giving solo laners an XP penalty (no effect on junglers). We feel this will make double duo lane viable, or closer to it anyway.
Jungling is required mainly because of smite for baron/dragon control.

EuroTirigon

08-30-2011

Quote:
That and... when you mis-play and shouldn't have used it and just let your team burn the guy down, but don't realize that, and then get angry at your team. It's the source of so many bad feelings. Just not worth it vs other stuns -- so easy to create to misunderstandings, and when you do it 'correctly', it has to have a very high duration and therefore feels ultra punishing on the receiving end. Very hard to balance effectively, and it tends to create a ton of team anger -- just not worth it.
Thats a great attitude, imo. Oh how I hated that sleep on Atropos in DotA, that skill alone made him one of my most-hated champs.....

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-30-2011
279 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakri View Post
Hah, I go to the gym every morning to help manage my cardiovascular risk.