Early game Windmill

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

abyssmalstar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2011

So: The Windmill is the top point of the dominion map, if I remember correctly. Am I the only one who thinks that different forms of haste, be it from Zilean, Kayle, Powerball on Rammus, or Ghost, or other possibilities, will become the key to winning early game, but will end up being useless towards late game.

How important do you guys think early game windmill will be? I think its very important to be able to be the first person up 3-2 in the game, so I personally will be looking to run a ghost rammus with a friend that plays as kayle or zilean or something like that.

Shini Laser

08-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssmalstar View Post
So: The Windmill is the top point of the dominion map, if I remember correctly. Am I the only one who thinks that different forms of haste, be it from Zilean, Kayle, Powerball on Rammus, or Ghost, or other possibilities, will become the key to winning early game, but will end up being useless towards late game.

How important do you guys think early game windmill will be? I think its very important to be able to be the first person up 3-2 in the game, so I personally will be looking to run a ghost rammus with a friend that plays as kayle or zilean or something like that.

Since the easiest three cap is Windmill + 2 points closest to your nexus, Windmill with be very important. While the Windmill isn't an auto-win, if you can secure it for long term, it is probably the most important point.

You win the Windmill by beating the other team. While I imagine Zilean, Kayle, and whoever else will have their place in the Battle for Windmill, getting there soon only provides the opertunity to start capping the point a slight bit to force them to charge right into your face to hit you. Ultimately, it is probably near impossible to get a cap at Windmill before the other team reaches it, even if you sent a Powerball'n Rammus with LV 2 Time Warp to Windmill.

RealMithron

08-27-2011

It's nice to have it early, but if you don't get it first it's no sweat. You can comeback from 2 Nexus health while the enemy still has 250.

Silverbel

08-28-2011

Speed will still be really important, even past the start.

When a turret is left undefended, a fast character will reach it quicker and disrupt/capture it.

By channeling, any character can neutralize a turret (and stop taking damage from it) and after the channel, it's yours.

A failure to quickly respond means a lost point.
So yes, speed is probably going to matter all game.

Archlord Mythos

08-28-2011

While early haste will allow you to get to the windmill sooner, it's no guarantee that you'll actually capture it before the enemy team gets to it. Plus, if you capture the windmill that quickly, it's also no guarantee that you'll be able to keep it.

I'd say that early haste may be able to knock a few points off of the enemy's nexus, but it is definitely not necessary to win the game, especially since whoever wins the level 3-5 top skirmish will probably take the windmill either way.

I'm actually thinking of possible strategies where you just forsake the windmill early on, in order to just charge through the jungle or something and smash the other team's tower side. Of course, if people learn to actually look at their minimap, it could all be for naught.

Still, if you have a group of 3 in the center in early game, you can pick and choose your targets fairly easily.

Brackhar

Features Designer

08-29-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

A popular gambit internally is actually to not contest the top point at all and surprise the opposing team with your full force at one of the other points on the map. It works surprisingly well.

abyssmalstar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
A popular gambit internally is actually to not contest the top point at all and surprise the opposing team with your full force at one of the other points on the map. It works surprisingly well.
I feel like that wouldn't work as well in terms of holding it through to the middle of the game to get serious points out of it, because it'd be so close to the enemy nexus/fountain, yet so far from your own, while the top point is equidistant from both.

Roadwarrior

08-29-2011

Mobility skills will always be important.

Brackhar

Features Designer

08-29-2011
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssmalstar View Post
I feel like that wouldn't work as well in terms of holding it through to the middle of the game to get serious points out of it, because it'd be so close to the enemy nexus/fountain, yet so far from your own, while the top point is equidistant from both.
Right, but it's an opening gambit that can still net you three points for the beginning of the game, and by the time they shift to retake it you can then likely claim the Windmill back with its lowered defenses.

Chunmyster

Recruiter

08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini Laser View Post
Since the easiest three cap is Windmill + 2 points closest to your nexus, Windmill with be very important. While the Windmill isn't an auto-win, if you can secure it for long term, it is probably the most important point.

You win the Windmill by beating the other team. While I imagine Zilean, Kayle, and whoever else will have their place in the Battle for Windmill, getting there soon only provides the opertunity to start capping the point a slight bit to force them to charge right into your face to hit you. Ultimately, it is probably near impossible to get a cap at Windmill before the other team reaches it, even if you sent a Powerball'n Rammus with LV 2 Time Warp to Windmill.
you clearly didn't watch the dominion stream where a rammus did powerball, ghost, and then flash to cap the point before the enemy team could even see it.