Akali... Nice Concept, Flawed Execution (Especially on Summoner's Rift)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenova

Member

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanta4Life View Post
Maybe all you criers can learn how to play her and not suck before you say she needs buffs. I find her one of the most fun characters to play and extremely strong. Just because you suck at playing her doesn't mean riot needs to buff her. My go try playing some noob characters like jax/zilean/twitch...
Kids...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prosecutor Godot

Senior Member

05-19-2010

The fact that you listed Garen's Whirlwind + Decisive Strike as an effective escape mechanic makes me dismiss your thread.

Garen is terrible.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenova

Member

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosecutor Godot View Post
The fact that you listed Garen's Whirlwind + Decisive Strike as an effective escape mechanic makes me dismiss your thread.

Garen is terrible.
Do you think Yi with Cleanse and Highlander up is hard to catch?

Yea that's Garen with cleanse.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyrael

Senior Member

05-19-2010

Is it probably meant to be an escape mechanic? I don't know, I don't work at Riot. Do those two effectively provide him one? Yes. I have played as him, and Decisive Strike is a movespeed buff, and whirlwind IS UNAFFECTED BY SLOWS. So yes, in my opinion, it counts.

Updated the OP again, and I've done some thinking... my argument, in its most basic form, comes down to this simple question.

Why would you ever want Akali over Katarina on your team? I feel that their design is very similar, so its the best comparison I could make.

Katarina is a very big presence in a team fight, (Akali, not so much, due to the very real need she has that, as she stands right now, to just stay a little back from the teamfight, and clean up whoever survives. Not a good way to contribute)

Katarina is able to escape just fine, darting in and out of combat with relative ease (Akali cannot)

Katarina can get a very good positive K/D ratio rather easily (I can count on my hand out of the dozens of games I've seen her in, how many Akali's have had a positive K/D ratio. The better ones break even).

Also, another point:

Shadow Dance has 3 charges. I have rarely ever managed to use all 3 in a teamfight before I get instantly exploded. The Twilight Shroud + Shadow Dance functionality proposed would help with that a lot.

But keep the ideas coming, and let's see if we can get Riot to read this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prosecutor Godot

Senior Member

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenova View Post
Do you think Yi with Cleanse and Highlander up is hard to catch?

Yea that's Garen with cleanse.
It's not the same at all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LiFTeDyourFACE

Senior Member

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenova View Post
Do you think Yi with Cleanse and Highlander up is hard to catch?

Yea that's Garen with cleanse.

Except for the fact that Yi moves 20 times faster than Garen....

Akali is like any other squishy than runs right into a team fight, she dies in 2 seconds. You gotta play her smart, not shadow dash in then cloak and hope they don't aoe the hell outta you.

She's fine the way she is, but having her Shadow Dash target friendlies would be nice. The way she is now she is about misdirection with her cloak and Shadow Dash out so they can't catch up to you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Somafera

Senior Member

05-19-2010

Her main flaw is exactly that, you need your enemies to do mistakes, and you can't join a teamfight head on, making your team have one less member.

Its either waiting for them to make big mistakes/your team do most of the job before rushing in, or just do the cleaning after the fight is over.

Hell, even a Yi probably can burst someone down and get out with highlander still up.

She can't even "taunt" the opponents without wasting the shroud CD and having cleanse up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosecutor Godot View Post
The fact that you listed Garen's Whirlwind + Decisive Strike as an effective escape mechanic makes me dismiss your thread.

Garen is terrible.
Judgement and Decisive Strike ARE escape mechanics. One gives slow immunity and the other movement speed. I guess I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that these two effects aren't escape mechanics.

Also. People need to understand that many heroes will not be as effective in every situation (which many people seem to think they should). Udyr is by no means great in Summoner's Rift, but does great in Twisted Treeline. Similar to Udyr will be Akali. I'm going to assume you're at least making some attempt at increasing survability, in any case, a well-played Akali will find that she does extremely well in TT. Not to mention that with a SotO and/or Mejai's, you scale extremely well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

05-19-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I totally disagree - Akali does very well in team fights. It's all about attacking the right targets at the right time, being mindful of your positioning and using the cloud effectively.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YYZed

Member

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstcase View Post
Judgement and Decisive Strike ARE escape mechanics. One gives slow immunity and the other movement speed. I guess I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that these two effects aren't escape mechanics.

Also. People need to understand that many heroes will not be as effective in every situation (which many people seem to think they should). Udyr is by no means great in Summoner's Rift, but does great in Twisted Treeline. Similar to Udyr will be Akali. I'm going to assume you're at least making some attempt at increasing survability, in any case, a well-played Akali will find that she does extremely well in TT. Not to mention that with a SotO and/or Mejai's, you scale extremely well.
Tymed Ranks Udyr tier one on SR...

Yes I totally agree with the garen part.