Level gain and Per level runes.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMarkMark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2011

Say you have MR/lvl runes. Do you start with 3 levels of stats on them or do you just lose those levels of stats.

Also on SR, do you start with 1 level of MR from runes (if you choose MR/lvl) or just your base? I guess I could just check if I have 30 MR next game or a bit more.

I was watching totalbiscuit play and he hit 18 around 18 minutes, the average game length, thought that would be interesting for /lvl vs flat runes. Starting at a higher level might make it more worthwhile to get the /lvl runes if you start with 3 levels of stats and they scale.

Brackhar

Features Designer

08-23-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

You start at level 3 for them.

Senkon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-23-2011

If you have XP runes and you play dominion do you get the % of the 3 levels you start with?

Timechild

08-23-2011

Yup, flat runes are going to be useless on Dominion. I'll have to buyout the /lvl ones now.

Fox P McCloud

08-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timechild View Post
Yup, flat runes are going to be useless on Dominion. I'll have to buyout the /lvl ones now.
Except flat CDR---the scaling CDR runes take forever to break even and the level above the flat they gain (even at level 18) is pathetic.

the scaling CDR runes are probably THE single most worthless runes in the entire game.

08-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkon View Post
If you have XP runes and you play dominion do you get the % of the 3 levels you start with?
I would guess not. I can't see experience runes being particularly useful in Dominion anyway.

Fox P McCloud

08-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5071 View Post
I would guess not. I can't see experience runes being particularly useful in Dominion anyway.
They'll still help, though---as the runes, mastery, and Zilean's innate all are percent, which means they scale no matter how fast/slow you gain levels.

The people who really get screwed over are those who use the gold per 10 runes, mastery, or TF's innate....IMO something needs to be done about this--perhaps double to quadruple the benefits of the gold runes/mastery/TF's innate....because as it stands, they won't do anything in Dominion.

Malurth

08-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Except flat CDR---the scaling CDR runes take forever to break even and the level above the flat they gain (even at level 18) is pathetic.

the scaling CDR runes are probably THE single most worthless runes in the entire game.
They're not that bad by a long shot...

The difference is 0.65% to 0.9% at 18 (almost 50% better), and they are half-price.

CDR runes are actually useful, too, unlike many runes. So.

Fox P McCloud

08-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malurth View Post
They're not that bad by a long shot...

The difference is 0.65% to 0.9% at 18 (almost 50% better), and they are half-price.

CDR runes are actually useful, too, unlike many runes. So.
Flat CDR gives you 5.85% CDR for the entire game; scaling CDR gives you 8.1% at level 18....a differences of 2.25...a difference of 38%--a long mark away from your "almost 50%".

Most flat vs scaling break even around the 4-6 level mark; armor and MR break a bit later because of just how strong they are--but CDR per level doesn't break even until level 13 (Armor and MR runes both break even at level 9, so it's 50/50).

They're less useful longer than they are useful---after all, by late game, you should be using itemization to help with CDR and not relying on your runes---the only thing they have going for them is their cost, but that, alone, shouldn't be justification for getting them over flat if you're serious about getting proper rune setups.

Mr Threepwood

08-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Flat CDR gives you 5.85% CDR for the entire game; scaling CDR gives you 8.1% at level 18....a differences of 2.25...a difference of 38%--a long mark away from your "almost 50%".

Most flat vs scaling break even around the 4-6 level mark; armor and MR break a bit later because of just how strong they are--but CDR per level doesn't break even until level 13 (Armor and MR runes both break even at level 9, so it's 50/50).

They're less useful longer than they are useful---after all, by late game, you should be using itemization to help with CDR and not relying on your runes---the only thing they have going for them is their cost, but that, alone, shouldn't be justification for getting them over flat if you're serious about getting proper rune setups.
Except that that difference can be a rather large deal when you're shooting for max CDs, and since MANY champions have mana problems until later in the game it's not necessarily as useful to have your skills up all the time early. Especially on skills that are really only usable once per fight early on due to their longer CDs. For example, CDs are much nicer on Lux later game than earlier, same with morgana who's puddle is fine early for it's only purpose, taking out minions, and BS is going to either save you from a gank, or isn't, you won't get to use it twice. There might be some great examples in other champions, but in many cases CD reduction isn't THAT big a deal levels 1-4.