dominion lacking team strategy

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

larkhill

08-20-2011

so ive noticed a lot of 1v1 and 2v2 fights on the stream and a lack of overall strategy and teamfights. while i understand playing it might be very fun, but watching a bunch of 1v1 or 2v2 fights isnt exactly fun... its just repetitive.

it seems like a lot of tanky dps champs will simply dominate this map... as one who plays a lot of support champs, i just dont see the fun here...

Yaezakura

08-20-2011

Yeah... the whole point is to focus less on huge team fights, and more on overall strategy. You have to keep multiple parts of the map under your control. Grouping up is risky, because the more people you have in one place, the less people you have securing your holdings elsewhere.

There is a passive aura on the entire map that gives like 10% armor and magic pen, so tanky DPS champions aren't as difficult to kill as they are in Summoner's Rift, and some of the strongest defensive items, like Banshee's Veil, aren't available at all.

Supports still have their place. They still give sustain, and their CC and other skills can play a huge role in protecting points from enemies. I've seen a Sona hold off multiple enemies alone for a long time while waiting for her allies to show up and help her. Her healing and stun have proved massively useful.

jadelink

08-20-2011

try taric...try budging him from where he has a towers support, and enough mana to just keep healing, and stunning. Taric rocks 1v1s, and Nidalee is good too if you can play her well enough (I need practice at this).

Xemeron

08-20-2011

TEamplay is really important for dominion, even if the team isnt always 5 ppl on this map.
Its all about who get to which tower when and who goes helping who!

Its alot more complex then normal LoL.

Tenant

Friend of Urf

08-20-2011

I don't see any reason why teamplay wouldn't be important on Dominion....it's hard for us to tell just because we haven't played it ourselves. We'll probably understand more when we actually get our hands on it.

BigDaddyDelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2011

I don't see how strategy isn't in place in Dominion. It's just a lot more fast paced and supports more small skirmishes to control each point as much as possible rather than big teamfights and pushing as a group.

Also, tanky dps has not been the deciding factor in the matches in the stream. Garen, Renekton, Jarvan, etc. have all done well, but haven't dominated the match so much that champ picks were the game deciding factor, it was how each person used their champs skills to the best of their ability, which is what I'm looking forward to most in Dominion.

To me, it looks like Dominion is far less about team comp and more about personal skill.

IS1070256987428e

Producer

08-22-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

One of our major goals with Dominion was to ensure the game mode encompassed both strategic and tactical gameplay. Just as in Summoner's Rift, strategic gameplay is used most when a team goes in with a plan, and begins to execute on it. Strategic decisions such as which points on the map to target first, when to extend versus defend, is the team comfortable with defending in a 3-2 situation, what is the back-cap strategy, etc. are all decision that can be discussed and made prior to a game starting.

Tactical decision are readily apparent. If you lose a point, how do you respond? How many champions do you send in response, knowing the capture point tower is going to chew champions? Which points do you leave potentially undefended or under-defended in order to make a capture?

We've only scratched the surface of Dominion gameplay. When we get Dominion in your hands, we know that the players are going to come up with strategies we never dreamt of, and we can't wait to see them!

GlyphTsen

08-22-2011

Support seems like it's viable from what little we've seen. Both as direct support, and even on their own defending a point, or sneaking off to capture one. Starcall for example is (and will be even more) good for defending a point or for pushing, even if Soraka is by herself, and she is easily the champion most focused on support, and outside that she can still turn 2v2 and 3v3 fights very easily, possibly even more so than 5v5.

I don't see Janna having any problem being useful, and her passive and Sona's Speed aura will both be very valuable since sustained mobility can be particularly useful with specific strategies.

ZFjzeqgp3enl4IRT

08-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstryker78 View Post
One of our major goals with Dominion was to ensure the game mode encompassed both strategic and tactical gameplay. Just as in Summoner's Rift, strategic gameplay is used most when a team goes in with a plan, and begins to execute on it. Strategic decisions such as which points on the map to target first, when to extend versus defend, is the team comfortable with defending in a 3-2 situation, what is the back-cap strategy, etc. are all decision that can be discussed and made prior to a game starting.

Tactical decision are readily apparent. If you lose a point, how do you respond? How many champions do you send in response, knowing the capture point tower is going to chew champions? Which points do you leave potentially undefended or under-defended in order to make a capture?

We've only scratched the surface of Dominion gameplay. When we get Dominion in your hands, we know that the players are going to come up with strategies we never dreamt of, and we can't wait to see them!
Doesn't change the fact I still find Dominion matches incredibly boring to watch. The constant action doesn't allow the emotional peaks during important moves of a more slow paced map.

Xyltin

08-22-2011

I dont think it lacks strategy. It is much faster and so you cant see the overall strategy.

Every decision is a short term decision.

Faster play smaller fights means a lot faster change in strategy if something doenst work right.