Akali... Nice Concept, Flawed Execution (Especially on Summoner's Rift)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenova

05-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
Mordekaiser
Gangplank
Pantheon (He has a stun, but it brings you to your opponent)
Sivir (unless she ults)
Soraka
Teemo
Twitch
Warwick
Now name one thing all of those fighters have in common...

They suck.

Fighters =/= soraka/sivir btw.

AB3MBAM

05-17-2010

Just make smoke bomb give akali a -X% dmg reduction vs AOE, like you guys are doing with eve's new passive.

Sageless

05-17-2010

It's been said already, but Akali needs to be played like a ninja. Ninjas need the element of surprise to win. Standing in the middle of a lane is just laughable, and engaging in a 5v5 in an open area where ninjas can not sneak in /out is also laughable.

Stop this nonsense "cannon fodder" lineups and start doing guerilla tactics.

Xenova

05-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageless View Post
It's been said already, but Akali needs to be played like a ninja. Ninjas need the element of surprise to win. Standing in the middle of a lane is just laughable, and engaging in a 5v5 in an open area where ninjas can not sneak in /out is also laughable.

Stop this nonsense "cannon fodder" lineups and start doing guerilla tactics.
If, in real life, ninja's element of surprise came with a big circle of smoke with a red outline around it, i don't think ninja's would have assassinated anybody.

Facts are facts, she is another pubstomp champion, like garen, like kennen, like eve, like pretty much half the champions in this game.

READ: If you are owning with akali, your enemies are bad. Sorry to burst your bubbles but it's the truth, anyone with a brain will destroy akali in seconds, if she builds survivability then what the **** was the point in picking her in the first place?? HER CC?!

Community of ******s....

SuchIsLife

05-18-2010

No one has mentioned it yet, but I hate how luck dependent her Q can be. IMO it's way too much damage riding on whether or not they dodge. Would be nice if it negated or at least reduced dodge chance, since it's not spammable enough to abuse that late game in a dps build anyway.

I like the idea of shroud giving MR instead of Armor, other than that I think it's fine, though giving her another .25 seconds of stealth after leaving the cloud. Would be cool if that scaled with level, actually.

Shroud can also be a bit buggy. Sometimes when you stealth and give a command immediately afterward she doesn't respond.

Her ult feels slightly lacking. It's great for closing distance, but it doesn't do anything to put you at an advantage once you do that. Some form of brief CC or perhaps a slight reduction to armor/mres against the target would be awesome.

All that being said, I love her as she is and will continue to play her with or without buffs.

Lorx

05-18-2010

I stopped reading responses after I saw 'Ranged is Useless', so here's my opinion on OP's opinion. Akali is currently my third most played champion, fourth on LoLbase as it hasn't updated fully yet.

Quote:
W - Twilight Shroud

Its a nice idea, but the fact that the enemy can see where you're stealthed just means all they have to do is AoE the area. About the only thing its useful for is preventing 40% of auto attacks and targeted abilities while the Shroud lasts. It is not a viable escape mechanic, and I will publicly laugh in the face of anyone who says otherwise. Its slow is negiligable unless you max it out (and even then, its still pretty bad)

Proposed Fix:

Have it give magic resist instead of armor, and a % miss chance on top of the slow (say 20%). The magic resist will really help make it a viable move (seeing as how its outlined for everyone to see the area in which she's stealthed, which is about as big as a lot of character's AoE abilities), and give it some interesting uses in teamfights (the % miss chance and the small slow effect are nice contributions)
First off, Armor Bonus there is laughable. Ezreal's Q, Heartseeker, Garen Spin. That's about it for usefulness.

W currently is utter **** in teamfights, I save it for after. W's uses:
-Checking a bush with your face
-Juking
-Anti-harassment in laning
-Slow (Most of the use is here)

Generally, I get it at level 3, and leave it at lv1 until there's nothing else for me to do. Early game it's useful for keeping some of the more agitating harassers off your back to last hit a minion or harass yourself, as well as bush-face-checking. Once laning is over, I reserve it's use for juking and the slow effect, almost always the slow effect. I think to make this move useful, all it really needs is for it to give line of sight. Being able to simply drop it in a bush, or over a wall for LOS, would give it a decent amount of usefulness for the high cost that it has. Though miss chance would always be nice, with all of the Dodge stacking it would be more annoying than anything else. I would hate to fight that.

Quote:
R - Shadow Dance

Well, this move has an interesting place. Its a very nice ability (great for catching people who are running away), and its an ultimate due to the 2 sec internal cooldown (assuming you have an Essence of Shadow to fuel it). The problem isn't as much with the move itself...

As the fact that as I have already established earlier that Twilight Shroud is not a viable escape mechanic (as it currently is), and you can't really use Shadow Dance to escape, either.

She's a melee DPS, which means that she has as much survivability (perhaps a little less) than a ranged DPS, but has to be in melee ranged to do just about anything. What every other melee DPS has is an escape mechanic ( Nidalee's Pounce + Primal Surge, Kat's Shunpo, Jax's Leap Strike, Garen's Whirlwind + Decisive Strike, etc.) But where is Akali's?

That's right SHE DOESN'T HAVE ONE.

And for those people who say 'take Flash, you pansy', you're silly. The most broken summoner spell in the game is not a viable solution for a genuine lack of an ability to get out of a fight without either killing the other person, or dying (especially as with Akali, you're right in the middle of it). There needs to be an actual way for Akali not to have to totally commit to a fight.

Proposed Fix: (with full credit to Somafera for the idea)

What I really like is the ability that, while in Twilight Shroud, for Akali to be able to target the ground with Shadow Dance. For everyone (including me) who doesn't simply want to see another copy of Kat's Shunpo, it'd be a very cool idea. It wouldn't cost her too much, and it wouldn't break the functionality of really anything (along with giving her more synergy between her skills).

The other fix (admittedly, which might be more simple, but I like less) is to simply allow Akali to Shadow Dance to friendly targets (much like Kat's Shunpo). It works for her, and why fix what isn't broken (my opinions on Kat are another matter entirely)
Needs a change. I have to waste a summoner spell on Flash because she really has no escape. I like both changes suggested. Shadow Dance does less on average than Shunpo, has less usefulness, higher CD technically (2/3/4 uses a minute, remember you have to stack them), and all it gets in return for the low points is increased range. Saddening. Akali needs an escape, and this move is perfect to build one off.

Isomalt

05-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somafera View Post
Its all relative, she can't properly jungle at low levels, and well, you may clear a creep camp or two, but there are usually better things to do, like helping with pushing, ganking, etc.

Plus she can't just blow her aoe and oneshot a minion wave like many champions do, she still relies on last hitting.

I jungle as Akali in every game I play her. With the right build she can effectively keep the same level as solo mid. Granted this took me 30+ practice games to hash out, it is possible.

Also, next patch is supposed to fix some issues with her spell vamp which will result in her jungling ability being even better.

As far as "better things to do" you can apply that to any jungler, and any jungler should be leaving jungle to do those frequently.

luthella

05-18-2010

Sum1 said akali sux in 5vs5 but you really don't understand her i think. I use stealth as Lorx say too. But another use for it, Q->R->W->R->R, and stay inside smoke bomb. That's only when you're sure that you wont need it for next 6 secs (or whatever its cd is)
It's all about using brains, when to attack and when to stay back. You'll get lots of "WTF AKALI WHY DONT YOU ATTACK?! (and die with us (!) " coz u're not that useful when you don't have any ulti charges.
She's a ninja, she's built for being a glass cannon, deal with it.
Oh and yea, she'll steal lots of kills

Wisso

05-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenova View Post
If, in real life, ninja's element of surprise came with a big circle of smoke with a red outline around it, i don't think ninja's would have assassinated anybody.

Facts are facts, she is another pubstomp champion, like garen, like kennen, like eve, like pretty much half the champions in this game.

READ: If you are owning with akali, your enemies are bad. Sorry to burst your bubbles but it's the truth, anyone with a brain will destroy akali in seconds, if she builds survivability then what the **** was the point in picking her in the first place?? HER CC?!

Community of ******s....
I completely agree. She needs something, doesnt make sense to have a killer that just dies after a kill cause she cannot get away and is squishy as hell.

I should not do the comparison but the fact that Jax can do almost anything she can with loads more of survivability is laughable.

I must admit that most kills Im getting in 5vs5 are because I ulti to make the killing blow on champions that were almost dead anyway thx to my team.

Lyrael

05-18-2010

Actually, changing Twilight Shroud's bonus armor to bonus magic resist and adding some percentage of damage taken off from AoE's (like Evelynn's new passive) would be a nice way to fix Twilight Shroud, and alleviate the problem, IMO.

I've always kind of viewed Akali as some of the best parts of Kat and Evelynn anyways.

But still want the ability to Shadow Dance to a ground selectable spot while in Twilight Shroud. It would add some synergy, and I haven't really seen an argument yet as to why her ULTIMATE shouldn't get that kind of small functionality. It would give her a viable escape mechanism, and couldn't be abused (as you'd have to blow two cooldowns to use it).

But keep replying, and keep upvoting, and let's see if we can get someone from Riot to notice. Just a 'we're taking a look at it, and are considering changes' is all I (and others, from the looks of it, would really want)