Why Sexual Orientation Matters to Some People

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WayneChaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-19-2011

original thread:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1116220

response to:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1116935

new TLDR: there is nothing wrong with a gay guy going on the forum posting a thread asking who else is gay. this is not forming an organization in any way

Someone made a thread arguing that gay people should not reveal themselves on league of legends forums because league of legends has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation. The fundamental problem with this line is thought is that people with similar interests do tend to be interested in befriending each other. Those who like pokemon, those who like watching Starwar movies, etc, tend to become friends because they have a similar interest that they can talk about.

Being gay is the same thing. In fact, being gay is more than just an interest, its about a life experience that can often be unpleasant. Being gay often means a feeling of loneliness in childhood because gay people do not come out until about college usually. it could mean rejection from family or one's religious group. It is natural for gay kids to seek other similar people in order to not feel alone as the only gay person you know in life. Just because they want to seek other gay gamers does not mean they want to have bedroom fun with other gay people, contrary to what the OP suggested in the other thread. Gay people are simply more comfortable with each other because of how common homophobia is.

There is nothing wrong with gay people who want to unite in some way: think about NAACP (a black organization), boy scout (male only club), CWA (political women organization), etc.

TLDR: It does matters to some people whether someone is gay or not. Not because two gay people who met online want to hook up and have bedroom fun later, but because people with similar life experiences attract when it comes to friendship.

edit/ wasnt expecting upvotes, guess i have hope in this community again. woot over 375 upvotes

Thinkdealer

08-19-2011

inb4 thread closed. Riot sucks like that :/

Lol bedroom fun... Dat euphemism.

"The old, in out, in out."

WayneChaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-19-2011

Riot hasnt closed many similar threads, dont see why this one should be.

Amencorner

Recruiter

08-19-2011

That's all fine and good, except for that this is the internet, and there is literally countless amounts of different websites and chatrooms where you talk all day about being gay. Want to find gay friends that you can chat to about being gay? Welcome to the internet! You can do all those things!

This is a video game focused on killing and destroying, so instead of worrying about finding gay friends on here, just go kill and destroy things in the game, then go cool off with a nice relaxing gay chat somewhere else on the internet that's designed for that.

WayneChaw

Recruiter

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amencorner View Post
That's all fine and good, except for that this is the internet, and there is literally countless amounts of different websites and chatrooms where you talk all day about being gay. Want to find gay friends that you can chat to about being gay? Welcome to the internet! You can do all those things!

This is a video game focused on killing and destroying, so instead of worrying about finding gay friends on here, just go kill and destroy things in the game, then go cool off with a nice relaxing gay chat somewhere else on the internet that's designed for that.
except some people want to find other gay people who also play league of legends. if you are not gay, just ignore the thread. how hard is that, why tell them to shut up and go somewhere else

Xyrne

08-19-2011

What the hell is wrong with you people today?

Ayunasheart

08-19-2011

Quote:
The only reason sexual preference should ever matter is if you're trying to obtain some sort of online relationship from it
I kind of agreed with the guy from the other thread, but after reading your post and going back to the thread this line really jumped out at me.

You provide a valid point, I think people just need to have an open mind to those around them and think about how others may feel about something. I'll assume that the op in that other thread is not gay, so he's speaking more from opinion, and not from knowing what it's like.

Gaymer

08-19-2011

Well said friend.

WayneChaw

Recruiter

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinedToBe View Post
I kind of agreed with the guy from the other thread, but after reading your post and going back to the thread this line really jumped out at me.

You provide a valid point, I think people just need to have an open mind to those around them and think about how others may feel about something. I'll assume that the op in that other thread is not gay, so he's speaking more from opinion, and not from knowing what it's like.
ya, i have a problem with people even when they say "im ok with gays but dont make threads about your gayness"

SaveOurServer

08-19-2011

What frustrates me is that the guy this poster is reponding to was responding to a thread where a summoner asked gay people to post on his forum so he could add them in game.

If I made a thread saying "If you're straight add me" I would be called closed-minded, downvoted, and considered a bigot.

So why is it okay to make a thread saying "Add me if you're gay" but not "add me if your straight"? Why is one acceptable and another considered bigotry?