Why play Summoner's Rift anymore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teganze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2011

Riot, although I am excited for Dominion, I am one of those guys who didn't want a new map, because I was worried about the split in the community, and possibly giving matchmaking a harder time finding good matchups for Summoner's Rift.

Don't get me wrong - I fully intend to enjoy tons and TONS of Dominion, but I can't help but worry over what incentives you have to ensure a healthy population for Summoner's Rift.

As I understand it....

1) Dominion offers as much, or potentially slightly more IP per minute than games on Summoner's Rift (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=12815886#post12815886).

2) Game times apparently average about 20 minutes, making the mode much easier for people to fit into their schedules.

3) For many, the faster pace of gameplay will possibly be more appealing than Summoner's Rift.

All that Summoner's Rift seems to have going for it is the classic gameplay we know and love, but I don't know if that's enough to combat points 1 and 2 (especially) above .

Zhupons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2011

How about completly diferent gameplay styles??

Yaezakura

08-13-2011

It's kind of the whole point. Having completely different game styles lets us play different things when we're in different moods, while still playing LoL. It's kind of like saying "Payload maps make Capture Point maps have too few players" when talking about Team Fortress 2.

There are a lot of LoL players. And we're all here because we do enjoy that standard, core DotA-style gameplay. Some may abandon it entirely for Dominion, but most of us are likely to split our time, playing whichever mode happens to strike our fancy at that moment.

Jinxx

08-13-2011

This post is stupid.

Umibozu

08-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxx View Post
This post is stupid.
^^

Shaboogawa

08-13-2011

Think about this...the players you complain about because they "chase too far, overextend, pick teamfights at the wrong moments, etc" in SR will be going to Dominion and will never go back to SR. My theory is that because of this the overall gameplay and competitiveness in SR will become higher than without Dominion.

Galefire

08-13-2011

SR is the original, tried and true, DotA style map that players will NEVER give up on regardless of the alternatives.

feartrich

08-13-2011

Quote:
pick teamfights at the wrong moments
somehow i think there's gonna be a lot of that in dominion

ZenonTheStoic

Champion Designer

08-13-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

We have such a massive player base that you really don't need to worry about being all by your lonesome on Summoner's Rift. As for IP, that's obviously something we're taking into consideration

Madman Reborn

08-13-2011

I don't see why you would worry about something like that. People will always keep playing on a map like SR.