Riot is Fooling Themselves...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-10-2011
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunderstorm View Post
If they think they can keep Dominion balanced by focusing on items instead of champions. There will be a subset of champions that are much better at this game mode than all others and they WILL be the only ones played unless Riot does something.

Proof? Look at 3v3. All you see is Singed, Tryn, Mundo, Jax and a few others over and over again. Unless they pull a Mundo and nerf some of the characters that dominate Dominion but are balanced on SR or even bad on SR like Mundo was then Dominion will be unfun as 3v3.

TL;DR; Some characters will be really good at Dominion and they will have to be changed unless they want Dominion to fail like 3v3 has. Even if they do people will rage because it will affect SR and cause still cause rage.
We focused on solving by archetype, and the majority of the development time was related to making sure that different archetypes are effective and generally balanced. There's a lot more to it than items -- the tweaks had to be made at every aspect of the design. We will go into more detail over the next few weeks.

- Zileas

SureOz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We focused on solving by archetype, and the majority of the development time was related to making sure that different archetypes are effective and generally balanced. There's a lot more to it than items -- the tweaks had to be made at every aspect of the design. We will go into more detail over the next few weeks.

- Zileas
I'm a little confused by this, when you say that an archetype will be effective, does that mean "most" of the champions of the archetype will be effective or that there will be at least SOME champions of each archetype that are effective. Also, this doesn't seem to address the OP's concern that within a given archetype, one or two champions of that type will absolutely dominate compared to the others of that archetype and thus be the only champions played.

But I'll wait and see what you mean

Timechild

08-11-2011

If they have truly managed to do that, it's gona be awesome. TT is dominated by tanks(Mundo, Singed, Alistar), tanky dps(Trynda, Jax, Poppy) and tanky casters(Morde, Rumble, Nunu). If they managed to balance these archetypes for Dominion, where in 1v1 and 2v2 scenarios they will be OP perhaps they will be able to balance them for TT as well.

Pureva

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2011

Bad analogies a proof do not make.

P0uet

08-11-2011

They said they'll also set this for balancing :

Quote:
Every game on dominion has a passive aura that affects all players. In the current build, it gives 10% bonus armor penetration, 5% spell penetration, -20% healing received, and increased mana regeneration.

Morello

Lead Designer

08-11-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureOz View Post
I'm a little confused by this, when you say that an archetype will be effective, does that mean "most" of the champions of the archetype will be effective or that there will be at least SOME champions of each archetype that are effective. Also, this doesn't seem to address the OP's concern that within a given archetype, one or two champions of that type will absolutely dominate compared to the others of that archetype and thus be the only champions played.

But I'll wait and see what you mean
What this means is we focused on each possible type of champion role has a place and viability (such as Tank, Carry, Assassin, Mage, etc). By setting this up systematically from a role standpoint, it makes balancing and maintenance much easier.

Particular balance of X champion are things we'll have to deal with as we see what interesting strategies you guys discover, but our goal is to make sure something like "X type of champion is bad on Dominion" is something we've worked hard to avoid.

Ms Managed

08-11-2011

I don't think its that big of a deal. Because when you get down to it there will be 3 types of champions (ignoring TT)

Champs that are OP on SR but not on Dominion
Champs that are OP on Dominion but not on SR
Champs that are OP on both

Now I think that the first two will be completely healthy and will actually improve the game by giving many champs that are lackluster on SR a chance to shine and vice versa. As we all know each mode can't be completely and totally balanced, so having multiple modes allows there to be at least one mode that your favorite champ is good at. Following me so far?

So that means riot only has to work on balancing the 3rd type of champion (or champions of the first two types who take being good at a mode WAY too far) which makes it not seam like that much of an issue to balance.

TheFunderstorm

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
What this means is we focused on each possible type of champion role has a place and viability (such as Tank, Carry, Assassin, Mage, etc). By setting this up systematically from a role standpoint, it makes balancing and maintenance much easier.

Particular balance of X champion are things we'll have to deal with as we see what interesting strategies you guys discover, but our goal is to make sure something like "X type of champion is bad on Dominion" is something we've worked hard to avoid.
Okay, so then if say, Soraka was worthless on Dominion (which I can see with the -20% healing global aura) then you would specific buff her to make her playable on Dominion?

Is it ever possible that a particular character will work differently on SR than on Dominion (i.e. different stats).

I am just worried it will be too difficult, especially with the QQ level on this forum to actively maintain a decent balance on both SR and Dominion (because face it, TT is basically just pick tanky DPS and go at it until one team gets an Ace or two)

TheFunderstorm

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Underneathean View Post
I don't think its that big of a deal. Because when you get down to it there will be 3 types of champions (ignoring TT)

Champs that are OP on SR but not on Dominion
Champs that are OP on Dominion but not on SR
Champs that are OP on both

Now I think that the first two will be completely healthy and will actually improve the game by giving many champs that are lackluster on SR a chance to shine and vice versa. As we all know each mode can't be completely and totally balanced, so having multiple modes allows there to be at least one mode that your favorite champ is good at. Following me so far?

So that means riot only has to work on balancing the 3rd type of champion (or champions of the first two types who take being good at a mode WAY too far) which makes it not seam like that much of an issue to balance.
I think the high ELO and tournaments players would be pretty upset if a balanced champion is nerfed solely because of his viable in Dominion or a champion is kept OP in SR because he is decent or balanced or a favorite in Dominion.

TheFunderstorm

08-11-2011

Also thank you for responding Reds. Im sorry if my OP was a little harsh, I am just weary of what will happen to balance on SR after Dominion gets released and I only hope both game modes are given equal attention when it comes to balance and whatnot.