@RIOT this is EXACTLY why players get mad youat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hawkraider

08-05-2011

Quote:
I dunno about you guys, but my favorite mode in any online game was the Onslaught mode in Unreal Tournament (Warfare in UT3, I think?).

It works SOMEWHAT similarly to Dominion / Domination / Territories / Land Grab whatever you want to call this system... but with a touch of Castle Siege at the end.

There were several link points on the game located away from the main base, with usually two or three link "paths" to each base -- in order to become able to damage the opponent's base, you had to have one of the link points adjacent to the opponent's base... but the only way to capture one of those was to make a path of link points from your own base.

Essentially, it's a game of tug of war (well, except PUSHING rather than PULLING) where you can whittle away at your opponent's castle (Nexus?) each time you successfully create a link.

I think it would fit the League of Legends style much better than Dominion, although I am looking forward to this new game mode and a break from the monotony of "kill minions, kill jungle stuff, kill towers, kill nexus" that exists on Summoner's Rift.
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Brackhar
Onslaught was an awesome game mode I agree. Do you think it would be differentiated enough from the normal SR gameplay though? You could argue that since you have to kill towers in a connected manner to finally damage the nexus it's actually somewhat similar....
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Morello
I agree with this. I feel onslaught is a little more limited due to having to attack in order, and to create a more free-flowing game mode with higher action, we needed to remove that constraint.
right here is why you get flamed at, an honest request for a slight tweak to dominion (submitted by a player who just wanted to help improve YOUR game) and you responded by saying that you had already thought of this and that is was deemed too "constricting" for the players (like the one who liked this type of game mode enough to suggest it to you)

now maybe you did actually think of this and you were simply saying that. I will not say what my opinion on this is. (please do not interpret this as believing you lied (the whole point of it is to NOT create spin))

the other thing is that this suggestion was for dominion
not SR
so if you look at it from that direction he would be suggesting a specific end goal for the game (kill the nexus by hand) and the way it was described it was quite possible that there would be hundreds of ways to connect the points (I REALLY do not want to do the exact math so that I can show you this but with a little bit of arithmetic you can see it)

maybe you had both actually played onslaught and knew how many there were (I have never played so maybe there are very few paths) again on this I will (attempt) to not create spin.

Bland

08-05-2011

"Right here is why you get flamed at"
Because two developers responded in an honest and professional matter to the suggestion a single player made?
Wow... yeah... they really deserve to be flamed...

Edit: Besides, if I understand the concept right, the overall ways you can create a link to the enemy nexus may be big... but the things you can/should do at a certain time are still constricted. You don't have to set everything you do in stone right after the game starts. So their point still holds.
And the fact that it was a suggestion to Dominion is EXACTLY the point. It would make Dominion more like SR, which is not what they want. They want to have two different gamemodes.

Giraffesyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

This thread is failz. I agree with Morello.

Epsi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bland View Post
"Right here is why you get flamed at"
Because two developers responded in an honest and professional matter to the suggestion a single player made?
Wow... yeah... they really deserve to be flamed...

Edit: Besides, if I understand the concept right, the overall ways you can create a link to the enemy nexus may be big... but the things you can/should do at a certain time are still constricted. You don't have to set everything you do in stone right after the game starts. So their point still holds.
And the fact that it was a suggestion to Dominion is EXACTLY the point. It would make Dominion more like SR, which is not what they want. They want to have two different gamemodes.
exactly. Why is it that they should make a game type that they feel is unique and then change it to whatever a few people want? I bet if they did change it to that they would have to go back into design and testing and then this map would be magma chamber soon and we would never actually see it.

I'm pretty excited about Dominion and this is why players should be happy with riot. They take time to explain why they are doing what they are doing.

Yaezakura

08-05-2011

Really, I think comparing it to Onslaught was the mistake. It's far more like a combination of Capture Point and King of the Hill modes in TF2. You have multiple points to capture, but you also have to defend each one from being recaptured for capturing them to matter.

And honestly, they've been working on this for like a year, with thousands and thousands of man-hours invested in the project. We don't know what all they tried, what all didn't fit the overall feel they were aiming for. I've never played Onslaught, but it basically just sounds like Summoner's Rift, where destroying the outer turret on bottom lane would open up being able to destroy the inner turret in middle lane.

Yeah, it's different, but not different enough. I'm glad they came up with a game mode with entirely new victory conditions, not just "here's a new way to make a path to the enemy nexus and destroy it".

Lazercoon

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaezakura View Post
Really, I think comparing it to Onslaught was the mistake. It's far more like a combination of Capture Point and King of the Hill modes in TF2. You have multiple points to capture, but you also have to defend each one from being recaptured for capturing them to matter.

And honestly, they've been working on this for like a year, with thousands and thousands of man-hours invested in the project. We don't know what all they tried, what all didn't fit the overall feel they were aiming for. I've never played Onslaught, but it basically just sounds like Summoner's Rift, where destroying the outer turret on bottom lane would open up being able to destroy the inner turret in middle lane.

Yeah, it's different, but not different enough. I'm glad they came up with a game mode with entirely new victory conditions, not just "here's a new way to make a path to the enemy nexus and destroy it".
Not different enough?

Dude, there's no lanes. There's no neutral minions. its going to be 99% fighting other players in glorious bloodbaths. Towers can change hands.

Plus, you have never played it, so really you can't say just how different it is, now can you?