No bone for competitive players D:

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb in lasagna View Post
Let's go through this step by step.

1. Normal mode only at launch. Sounds familiar? Oh wait that is how the classic game mode started out.
2. No wards because noobs don't use wards? Really, now you are just trolling. It's obvious that they are out due to balance for the small map.
3. I don't even know what you mean by "Now you can pick any champion you want! Its so Great! hur hur"...This doesn't mean all the champions are unlocked for you. They simply mean that all champions are able to be played in the game mode because they are all balanced for the game mode instead of locking out a champ(like they are doing for some of the items).
4. Scoring focuses more on the individual? Sorry this isn't deathmatch. This is still a team focused game mode. It's about winning as a team. At the end of the game you aren't going to say "oh well I lost but my kill death ratio was ok so I'm happy"...That same thing could be said in classic mode but you don't find people doing that. It's win or lose as a team and that is all that matters.
5. So because there will be team oriented "quests" or objectives on the map that makes it for the less skilled? Good thing there is nothing like that in the classic mode. *cough* baron/dragon *cough* wut?
6. And what exactly makes capturing points take less skill than right clicking towers?
oh forgot jungling was removed, b/c noobs fail at jungling.

I mean, sure, all these things could mean nothing, but how do all things combined, such as, no jungling, no wards, scores highlighting individual achievements, normal mode only, no dragon or baron, and questing all together, NOT make you think of casual LoL?

It is nothing hidden that newbs can't jungle properly, don't use wards, choose whatever champion they want w/out looking at team comp, look at their K/d/a a lot, and don't really care about dragon. And then Riot talks about all these things highlighting how fun it makes things. Which I don't doubt. But they make no mention of competitive play.

I mean sure, it may be somewhat viable competitively eventually, but if you don't see that as built for casuals, I don't know if you'll see anything as such, save a "casual mode".

Morello

Lead Designer

08-05-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uprising View Post
It is DESIGNED around casual play, ground up.

Also "quests that pop-up" raises a large red flag in my head. Hopefully that doesn't mean randomly generated quests.
It is?

Bomb in lasagna

08-05-2011

Quote:

I mean, sure, all these things could mean nothing, but how do all things combined, such as, no jungling, no wards, scores highlighting individual achievements, normal mode only, no dragon or baron, and questing all together, NOT make you think of casual LoL?

It is nothing hidden that newbs can't jungle properly, don't use wards, choose whatever champion they want w/out looking at team comp, look at their K/d/a a lot, and don't really care about dragon. And then Riot talks about all these things highlighting how fun it makes things. Which I don't doubt. But they make no mention of competitive play.

I mean sure, it may be somewhat viable competitively eventually, but if you don't see that as built for casuals, I don't know if you'll see anything as such, save a "casual mode".
Or maybe those things are taken out because they don't fit with the game mode. Why would there be a jungle when there is no laning phase and the game mode is centered around moving around the map and capturing points. Not farming minions and neutrals.

It's amazing how a game like this can only be competitive with ONE game mode. Have you not played other games? Is this your first video game? Games usually have many game modes that are extremely competitive. Have you never played an FPS in your life? Is team deathmatch the only competitive gamemode in an FPS? NO. You have planting and defusing bombs, you have capture the flag, you have holding capture points. All of those are equally as competitive as team deathmatch and play differently.

What if the game mode Riot added was capture the flag? That is an extremely competitive game mode found in many types of games. Do you really think there would be a jungle in a capture the flag game mode in LoL? Do you really think they would have a jungle so people can just farm minions while the flag is getting away or your team is trying to capture a flag? No. This has nothing to do with noobs not jungling. This has to do with jungling making no sense for a game mode like this.

Now quit trolling and get owned by Morello.

Anlysia

08-05-2011

Quote:
2. No wards because noobs don't use wards? Really, now you are just trolling. It's obvious that they are out due to balance for the small map.
Personally, I think Wards are out because 3 minutes of a 20 minute game where you get fast, free gold is just too long to be able to maintain map control.

Bomb in lasagna

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlysia View Post
Personally, I think Wards are out because 3 minutes of a 20 minute game where you get fast, free gold is just too long to be able to maintain map control.
That could very well be true too. My main point is that wards aren't in for game play and balance reasons. With the size of the map a few wards could easily show all the routes to a capture point. Good luck for either team capturing any points if everyone knows well in advance where to go defend.

WhatIsThatThing

08-05-2011

Quote:
Riot has done, they have stemmed the tide from a Dota 2 exodus, as the ONLY thing Valve is really working on in Dota 2 is making the experience good for new and casual players, the fundamental game remains the same (as in hardcore player friendly). Now the masses have an adequete reason to stick with LoL b/c they have a mode that suits their tastes to a T, so after trying Dota 2, they will have a reason to come back. There's none for competitive players, we've got nothing new other than observer mode... what? We don't have that either? K nvm.

Not saying LoL's competitive players won't come back when they want to play LoL instead of Dota because they are 2 different games, but the game is much more competitive player friendly, more so than HawN b/c Dota 2 will be popular enough to have big cash tournaments.
I'm genuinely unsure about why you care so much for features like cash tournaments and other esports/hardcore features that don't affect you as a sub 1000 ranked player?

Anlysia

08-05-2011

Quote:
That could very well be true too. My main point is that wards aren't in for game play and balance reasons. With the size of the map a few wards could easily show all the routes to a capture point. Good luck for either team capturing any points if everyone knows well in advance where to go defend.
I have a feeling the Teleport spell is probably also out...but I can't confirm this yet. But it seems they're directly avoiding any way anyone can manage to go all the way from their base to the far-end of the map. I have a hunch that the reduced range on Pantheon/TF's teleports is just short enough to keep them from diving the far cap points from their own platform.

Bomb in lasagna

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlysia View Post
I have a feeling the Teleport spell is probably also out...but I can't confirm this yet. But it seems they're directly avoiding any way anyone can manage to go all the way from their base to the far-end of the map. I have a hunch that the reduced range on Pantheon/TF's teleports is just short enough to keep them from diving the far cap points from their own platform.
I could have sworn I read an article last night that said Teleport was out. But for the life of me I can't remember what article it was.

EDIT: found it

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/le...inion-preview/

Summoner spells are another place where balance has taken precedent: neither Teleport nor Fortify will be available in Dominion. In their places are Promote, which is an old spell from early in the game that will beef up an enemy minion to make it super, and Garrison, which will either buff one of your own towers with extra attack speed and damage, or nerf an enemy tower so you can claim it more easily.

Spectrow

08-05-2011

Quote:

Jungle is removed because this game mode is faster paced for a reason, and jungling would only slow the game down via farming jungle (see complaints from virtually all reds about how lame farming for 20 min is) not with new players not knowing how to jungle per say. And the last thing you'd want in a capture points map is to be defending/capturing points and fail then have to say "we were 4 and he still jangled". ^.^

The wards aren't necessary because the map is a circle, thus much shorter "straighter" paths to get places, the points of capture you'll have permanent sight of regardless who owns them if I read correctly, and not seeing enemies in the jungle but going for the buffs that will be in the jungle, will be that risk/reward option and increase action, another thing they are looking to improve upon.

And this whole concept some of this community has with referring to all new players as "newbs" in the derogatory sense is getting old, I can understand messing up team comp is frustrating, even in unranked normal mode, but they are indeed learning the game, and when you started I bet you did not know multiple roles or multiple champions at same role or how to perfectly execute each one.

As far as competitive play goes, as long as there has been winning and losing (practically the definition of competition), there will be competitive play. Let them put out unranked first to get it established, and let any lingering bugs reveal themselves as no code is perfect, and let us players discover some things that might be borderline OP or UP before the competitive scene for the mode is IMBA at start. Just my thoughts ^.^

P.S. Thanks for all the super hype from the reds, sincerely. I'm stoked over the announcement even if there was no content this week, as this will give my brain enough content to play with for a while before the mode drops. ^.^

RBomb19

08-05-2011

Quote:

You try jungling under level 20 and tell me how that goes. It is a skill for a higher level of play because it is nearly impossible at lower levels without runes/masteries. And without jungling, wards are far less necessary because threats of ganks are less likely. Do not criticize a player for a feature of the game.

Also, every other point you've made so far has been wrong, but everybody else has those covered. Good work, team!