I was mad this morning... but now...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BreadRising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

I just wanted to say to all the Riot employees, thank you for working so hard on this and I'm sorry that such a big portion of the community reacted negatively (myself included). The new mode/map truly do look like fun and I'm excited to learn more about it.

Just two quick things that I wanted to get off my chest:

1. You do understand why we were upset, I assume. We've been waiting for new content for so long (other than just new champs/skins) and when the hype started getting out of hand and hinting that something would be playable for us this week, we let it get our hopes very high, only to be told "Wait some more!"

2. I don't know how long you've been planning to have this previewed at PAX, but announcing that it would be there after PAX tickets have been long sold out was a bit of a drag. If I knew there would be this much LoL goodness, I would have put so much more effort into getting PAX tickets.

That being said, I'm very grateful for the work that you've done, and I understand that you all must be so excited to finally talk to the community about these things you've kept so tightly under wraps. So again, sorry for the overreaction by a lot of the community and myself. I look forward to hearing more about it! Hopefully you won't wait a whole month (until PAX) to start giving us more preview clips and such

Dopplemiester

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadRising View Post
1. You do understand why we were upset, I assume. We've been waiting for new content for so long (other than just new champs/skins) and when the hype started getting out of hand and hinting that something would be playable for us this week, we let it get our hopes very high, only to be told "Wait some more!"
the hypee was not riot the companies doing but over excited employees who got use excited over what people assumed was new content this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadRising View Post

2. I don't know how long you've been planning to have this previewed at PAX, but announcing that it would be there after PAX tickets have been long sold out was a bit of a drag. If I knew there would be this much LoL goodness, I would have put so much more effort into getting PAX tickets.
there are many things in the works at riot and they proably only recently determind the content would be viewable for pax recently so timing was poor for you but as sson as possible with putting extra strain on that team

Riot isnt happy about this either and im sure if they had something more ready this week they would have realsed it as an apology

BreadRising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Yeah I realize it wasn't Riot as a company, but the employees, and I fully understand how even those employees were only excited to talk about their work. I don't blame them anymore (I was mad, but then I thought "grow up")

zstripes

08-04-2011

thank you thread count over 9000.

Fredgerd

08-04-2011

Ya I'm psyched. Good work for sure. I'm glad we are getting a new map and mode after asking for one for so long.

angrywaffle04

08-04-2011

your two point contradict each other lol

would you prefer riot announce this earlier so you can get PAX tickets? If so, they'll be telling us to wait more than just a month (3 or 4 perhaps)

BreadRising

08-04-2011

The first point wasn't that they shouldn't have announced it at all; it was that whatever was supposed to come today was made out to be much more than just an announcement. Based on the level of hype, a lot of people were expecting something playable already in the game by today, but instead we received an announcement.

Announcements are fine! I'm all for announcements. Its when you announce that you have something special coming the very next day, and that special announcement was actually about... a special announcement. You see where people were upset with this?

But in hindsight, I'm over it and am looking forward to hearing more about Dominion.

Like I said above, hopefully we'll get more previews about this thing before and up to PAX.

Morello

Lead Designer

08-04-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Thanks - we didn't really want to hype the announcement, we just got overzealous ourselves. Trying to keep something we're earnestly excited about a secret for so long got the better of us I understand how that could be frustrating.

Dominion is really exciting because it's a pretty big departure from classic League of Legends. It's been a lot of fun exploring new strategies and using our favorite champions in new ways, and personally, I like the change of pace (constant action in Dominion, versus the more methodical pacing of SR).

Mirror

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - we didn't really want to hype the announcement, we just got overzealous ourselves. Trying to keep something we're earnestly excited about a secret for so long got the better of us I understand how that could be frustrating.

Dominion is really exciting because it's a pretty big departure from classic League of Legends. It's been a lot of fun exploring new strategies and using our favorite champions in new ways, and personally, I like the change of pace (constant action in Dominion, versus the more methodical pacing of SR).
Any thoughts on the philosophy of the precedent you're setting for the genre with insta-level 3 and lots of starting gold? =D

Curious on the potential impact someone in your position sees on future maps/MOBA games in general.

Ashaira

Adjudicator

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post

see. this is what everyone wantend. a simple sry we got a bit antsy was all we wanted. we weren't mad cause dominion sucks or anything but u and others specificaly told us CONTENT and THIS WEEK. u could have avoided soooooooooo much grief by saying this from the start