Simple question

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Makarray

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Riot just gave the entire community blue balls.

We got loads of excitement, but no release.

Dopplemiester

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by addysonclark View Post
A stern talking to?

Are you kidding me?

As a person who has probably spent over 100$+ on this game I can say I will no longer be spending anymore on this game, or telling others to spend any money on this game.
Firstly you say that but you will spend money later becuase one day you wont care as much as you do right now and buy a skin or a champion with RP.

Secondly the "hype" was employees with twitter accounts saying more than they should

finally the "stern talk" will be along the lines of being fired, demoted, but on thin ice, lossing any bonus they were going to get, or legal action for breaching contract

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

08-04-2011
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That makes me sad. I appreciated their excitement and their openness on Twitter. I understand why that kind of interaction is discouraged, but I really enjoyed seeing what felt like genuine excitement from the Rioterz. I hate to see that ruined by the rude portion of the community.
We highly value openness. And its really awesome that we are unique in the game industry about how much we encourage our employees to interact with the community.

But, there is a line that needs to be walked, especially with sensitive subjects. Excitement is fine, but you need to be careful you are not setting people's expectations unrealistically, and some people here obviously crossed that line.

Don't worry, you are not going to see us clam up, or stop expressing how excited we are! That is a permanent part of our culture, its just going through some growing pains =)

Chthulu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That makes me sad. I appreciated their excitement and their openness on Twitter. I understand why that kind of interaction is discouraged, but I really enjoyed seeing what felt like genuine excitement from the Rioterz. I hate to see that ruined by the rude portion of the community.
I'm fully with you, Jammer.

People dissatisfied?
They're getting some sense of self-justified feeling with their dissatisfaction.
That's why they do what they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrHwH2gEY8

Leprechaun

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopplemiester View Post
Firstly you say that but you will spend money later becuase one day you wont care as much as you do right now and buy a skin or a champion with RP.

Secondly the "hype" was employees with twitter accounts saying more than they should

finally the "stern talk" will be along the lines of being fired, demoted, but on thin ice, lossing any bonus they were going to get, or legal action for breaching contract
The point is, this was the last straw. The same **** happened with every other announcement.

Remember magma chamber?
Remember project shiny?
Remember replays?
Remember observer mode?

All of my love and hopes for this game where built on empty promises.

Leprechaun

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
We highly value openness. And its really awesome that we are unique in the game industry about how much we encourage our employees to interact with the community.

But, there is a line that needs to be walked, especially with sensitive subjects. Excitement is fine, but you need to be careful you are not setting people's expectations unrealistically, and some people here obviously crossed that line.

Don't worry, you are not going to see us clam up, or stop expressing how excited we are! That is a permanent part of our culture, its just going through some growing pains =)
How about you get tryndamere in here to ANNOUNCE how he is sorry for his employees teasing the community with nothing.

SBGC Jammer

Recruiter

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrieBear View Post
Yeah, that's the trade-off when you encourage developers to interact with the community. With 300+ employees, it's harder to regulate what information goes out, but I wouldn't give that up for being able to talk to you guys without having a PR guy go through my posts before I post them!

The "perfect situation" would have been for the announcement to come out of nowhere, so there were zero expectations. That will probably be the case going forward on big news.. too bad. =(
I understand totally, and I agree that a defensive strategy minimizes the kind of (minor) backlash that's happening right now. I just wanted to voice as a fan that it's just fun to see that kind of communication sometimes and maybe try to start a conversation that could result in ways to communicate that won't cause the malcontents to be... well, malcontent.

Anyway, didn't mean to add more fuel to the fire, just ruminating on the difficulties of having an engaging PR strategy in combination with managing expectations. You guys have a tough job :-)

Malrock3

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrieBear View Post
Yeah, that's the trade-off when you encourage developers to interact with the community. With 300+ employees, it's harder to regulate what information goes out, but I wouldn't give that up for being able to talk to you guys without having a PR guy go through my posts before I post them!

The "perfect situation" would have been for the announcement to come out of nowhere, so there were zero expectations. That will probably be the case going forward on big news.. too bad. =(
couching it as a huge announcement i think would have been much better... and alleviated any of the issues associated with this, as it did seem like something was actually going to be pushed out to the public.... like a big omgbbq patch that had tons of stuff in it.... (my secret list of things i thought it had, project shiny plus jungle / stealth remakes with lux / morgana tweaks as well as the panth buffs along w/ some other unnamed champ balancing issues)

Don't get me wrong i am cool w/ the announcement... but you should have tempered our expectations some that we were not actually getting a patch. Cuz we all did feel it was gonna be something we were actually finally getting our hands on.

IrrationalNoob

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post

I was really excited for the "this week" part of the red posts. I was excited! Now I know that the excitement is...an announcement about more excitement later down the road.....such a buzzkill.

I was thinking we were getting significant content (especially with the downtime on the client with the no new content will be deployed at this time)...

I feel like I was told soon you are getting a soon message that will tell you that soon you will get cool shiny things.

Its not even about Dominion. I like the idea. I just dislike that I do not have spectator or magma chamber etc etc.

Can we at least see some developers post about the items in dominion? I have a thread about it. Now that you guys can talk about it, I would really like to hear more.

Šneeks

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrock3 View Post
couching it as a huge announcement i think would have been much better... and alleviated any of the issues associated with this, as it did seem like something was actually going to be pushed out to the public.... like a big omgbbq patch that had tons of stuff in it.... (my secret list of things i thought it had, project shiny plus jungle / stealth remakes with lux / morgana tweaks as well as the panth buffs along w/ some other unnamed champ balancing issues)

Don't get me wrong i am cool w/ the announcement... but you should have tempered our expectations some that we were not actually getting a patch. Cuz we all did feel it was gonna be something we were actually finally getting our hands on.
Yeah, when we consistantly threw out ideas about project shiny and magma chamber coming out this week you guys went along with the idea (I know nothing was actually said, but that is what it came off as) that something would be coming out this week. It was a tad misleading.

Still am plenty excited about Dominion though!