Tutorial: Running League Of Legends on Ubuntu (and other Debian derivatives)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nankura

07-21-2011

This is a great guide and i thankyou for making it

But its been established for a while that ubuntu/debian users can get lol working with appget and alot of custom patched client versions of wine suitable for LoL , some by the official Playonlinux group

My only question is, is there a guide or way to reverse this process to work on distro's such as fedora 15, or suse, which use rpm/yum commands

And perform the same process

RoosterCockburn

07-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nankura View Post
This is a great guide and i thankyou for making it

But its been established for a while that ubuntu/debian users can get lol working with appget and alot of custom patched client versions of wine suitable for LoL , some by the official Playonlinux group

My only question is, is there a guide or way to reverse this process to work on distro's such as fedora 15, or suse, which use rpm/yum commands

And perform the same process
Hey,
Yes / No. The best way to do it is to use the Alien conversion tool and the .Deb files Recon posted on his blog.

Here's a link: http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/201...3-17-released/

The alien tool should install automatically or at least be in the main repos of most distros, and its a command line tool. I know they worked well on Mandriva, just not sure how well they'll do on Fedora or Suse, since Mandriva forked from Fedora like a decade ago.

I can setup a VM running Mandriva and record a desktop session to show you, but that will take some time.

Shatterlight

07-23-2011

Still can't do this because I still can't find Software Sources :P It is an installed application according to the Ubuntu Software Center, but it doesn't show up with my other usable applications.

RAPTOR of FURY

07-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkanSephin View Post
Duo Core 2,8 GHZ, NVIDIA GTS 450 1GB DDR5, 2GB DDR2 RAM.
I have already install my drivers, my linux is Ubuntu 11,04
on windows i can play with full grafics, on linux i have tu use Very Low.
you on a laptop of you are ill giv ya a tip im on one myself windows 7 and i get alot of FPS lag when i play CoD4 not so much LoL but i have a little stand fan and i point it to where the fan located on your laptop is and turn it on this brings coldish air into it and should take FPS back to normal you could also try setting all graphics to Low hope this helps if so gimme a thumbs up n________n

TeeMM

07-25-2011

Okay so, i followed this guide smoothly up to the step with " wineloldeps " on Ubuntu 11.04. However, just as I ran the command and it began installing, my internet cut out..

now, whenever I try to run the command, it gets to the Windows C++ step and then goes:

"vcrun2005 install completed, but installed file /home/chris/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727. 4053_x-ww_b77cec8e/mfc80.dll not found"

I assume that this file is missing because my internet cut out in a critical part of the installation process, but I literally can not figure out ANYTHING to do to get it back. Like, I can't go back and redo any steps because it says that they've already been completed. and there's no way for me to just start over again from the beginning.

RoosterCockburn

07-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeMM View Post
Okay so, i followed this guide smoothly up to the step with " wineloldeps " on Ubuntu 11.04. However, just as I ran the command and it began installing, my internet cut out..

now, whenever I try to run the command, it gets to the Windows C++ step and then goes:

"vcrun2005 install completed, but installed file /home/chris/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727. 4053_x-ww_b77cec8e/mfc80.dll not found"

I assume that this file is missing because my internet cut out in a critical part of the installation process, but I literally can not figure out ANYTHING to do to get it back. Like, I can't go back and redo any steps because it says that they've already been completed. and there's no way for me to just start over again from the beginning.
Hey,
You're going to have to remove your personal wine directory.

Go to /home/you/ press CTRL+H delete your .wine folder
Then go to your terminal and type in: wineloldeps

This should now restart the process of reinstalling the dependencies
Thanks,
TJ

Figalmighty

07-25-2011

awesome beats my method of trying to play it under VMware workstation Thanks for all your work xD.

RoosterCockburn

07-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khimaera View Post
Still can't do this because I still can't find Software Sources :P It is an installed application according to the Ubuntu Software Center, but it doesn't show up with my other usable applications.
Instead of using software sources use the terminal

type: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:s-elser/winelol
It will then prompt you to add the repository, press 'y'
after its done type: sudo apt-get update
then type: sudo apt-get install winelol
It has come to my attention that Ubuntu 11.04 doesn't ship with cabextractor installed, so you may be prompted to install it.
type: sudo apt-get install cabextractor
and you should be golden.

TeeMM

07-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCockburn View Post
Hey,
You're going to have to remove your personal wine directory.

Go to /home/you/ press CTRL+H delete your .wine folder
Then go to your terminal and type in: wineloldeps

This should now restart the process of reinstalling the dependencies
Thanks,
TJ
Thank you very much, this worked fine!

I have one more question regarding the steps with the ace client. What do you do regarding future patches to the Ace Client, and how are they applied? I know the full client is 3.9, but there are several releases after that which go to 3.10.xx, so should those be applied in some fashion during this process, or will everything be up and running and stable with just 3.9? Or, do we go about it with just 3.9, get it running, and then apply the 3.10.xx patches afterwards in some fashion?

RoosterCockburn

07-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeMM View Post
Thank you very much, this worked fine!

I have one more question regarding the steps with the ace client. What do you do regarding future patches to the Ace Client, and how are they applied? I know the full client is 3.9, but there are several releases after that which go to 3.10.xx, so should those be applied in some fashion during this process, or will everything be up and running and stable with just 3.9? Or, do we go about it with just 3.9, get it running, and then apply the 3.10.xx patches afterwards in some fashion?
Download and install the 3.9 client, then extract the files from the 3.10 patch and copy them over to your 3.9 install folder (/home/you/.wine/drive_c/where ever you put it) and do the same for all the other patches. If there is a readme.txt or important.txt file in the patch, read it, it may have more detailed instructions. Essentially you just copy over files, thats pretty much it, but be sure to apply each new patch starting with the oldest to the newest.