Udyr's Guide to Mordekaiser

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rancid Sac

04-26-2010

Udyr. You are awesome, but there are few points I disagree with on this guide (and some I really like).

First: You said to grab doran's shield + health pot. This is very standard and very appealing for anyone playing Mordekaiser, but I've found that with the hitpoints from defensive mastery tree, using a doran's shield is not at all efficient compared to rejuv bead + 6 (YES THAT'S RIGHT, 6) health pots. Using rejuv + 6 health pots gives you incredible lanestaying power AND if you are harassed early, you can simply pop health pots till your Q and E are leveled enough to start turning the table. Using this will allow you to stay in the lane till you have enough for treads + warden's mail typically.

Second: I really like that you said alternate Q and E. Many many players insist maxing E, but that actually hurts your play because it lowers your burst for a champ fight.

Third: Rylai's sceptre. A very iffy item on Mordekaiser. You're paying for ability power and it scales VERY poorly on Mord. Additionally, the only single target spell you have is his ult! Sure, it may solidify a kill with the ult, but other than that it is relatively weak when compared with frozen mallet. With rylai's you can apply a 15% movespeed debuff to people but it's on a CD and is not terribly strong. Frozen mallet has 200 more hp, 20 atk dmg and essentially guarantees a kill on whoever you've targetted if the champ is fleeing.

Four: Bloodthirster. This item is very situational. Basically, if your team is dominating the other team, this is a must have. If your team has a pretty substantial advantage over the other team, and your team is competent in teamfights (i.e. other ppl initiate, other people can handle focus fire and you aren't the only one being fired on). Otherwise, the usefulness of this item may fall short when compared to armor/mag
resist.

Positives: Almost gave your guide -1 because I didn't see stark's on it, but then I found it! Aegis and sunfire cape! Both are situational but nice items for Mordekaiser.

My build is typically:

Rejuv + 6 health pots
Mercury treads
Warden's mail
Stark's
Negatron cloak --> banshee's veil
Phage/giant's belt --> Frozen mallet

At any point in the game if you decide that you'd rather go ahead and grab a BF sword or an aegis rather than upgrading to mallet or banshee's veil then by all means do it! If you have banshee's and mallet, then by all means take a pick from bloodthirster, sunfire cape, guardian's angel, or aegis.

You can see the stat's on my "cheap" non upgraded build here: http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/M...f2370a726e8f3c

And the upgraded version here (last slot empty, situational):
http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/M...35c04f802b3b97

As you can see, these allow Mordekaiser to become very strong very quickly and without build items consuming too many slots.

Some important arguments with Mordekaiser:

Spirit visage vs. warden's mail: Buy a negatron cloak and spirit visage = garbage compared to warden's mail. Nuff said.

Haunting Guise: This gold could be spent towards a stark's, brutalizer (not in my guide, but nice item), or a leviathan. Dont waste on this item.

Thornmail: Actually pretty nice, but it's also situational and should be saved for the situational slot I provided

Armor stacking, MR stacking: Dont forget that void staff and last whisper exist. Also there is diminishing returns on this. Another thing: teams at mid-high elo, even on TT, typically have a balance of DPS and magic damage, my balanced build is more efficient than stacking one or the other.

I've got 120+ games on Morde and this build has been the most effective for dominating the early game enough to maintain strength late game.

Gsayer

04-27-2010

Once I went 24/6 with him with a tank build, even my friends complained that I was supposed to tank, not kill that much. Mord can deal large amounts of damage even as a good tank, but you gotta know how to build him knowing the other team and use his abilities. With your ult and a good play you can even handle 3 enemies alone and continue pushing, but that may depend on your enemies ablities. Mord can be a truly beast.
And about the rejuv bead and 6 health potions, it really works great, specially if you go mid (and he's a good char on mid most times).

Feel a Fear

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
I see a lot of of posts saying that Mordekaiser is underpowered and he isn't viable because he doesn't have a slow, stun or any form of crowd control. I figured I would share my tips since I personally believe that he is extremely powerful when used properly. Below you will find a general guideline to how to play, build, and win with Mordekaiser.
Mordekaiser simply has no place in a summoners rift game, period. TT of course is a different story. Mordekaiser is never powerful, at best he is "hard to kill" which is irrelevant due to his low damage output, and no cc.

He is a tank that fulfills none of the roles necessary for a tank to do his job. Which means to have a competent team you have to have mordekaiser AND another character to tank. The spot the mordekaiser is taking could go to many many other champions that are way better for the team. He's useless in 5v5 team fights, putting his team at a severe disadvantage. Of course no one in their right mind would focus mordekaiser so mordekaiser lives, and usually gets one or two kills after the team fight is already lost. A classic mordekaiser player wonders why his score his so good and his team is losing....

Mordekaiser solo mid is a huge joke, who in their right mind would let a mordekaiser go mid? Of course he can out 1v1 pretty much anyone he's up against, but that doesn't matter. The enemy who is probably ranged will just chill back and last hit from safety. Mordekaiser is just taking all the money and XP that a carry could be getting, and essentially makes very poor use of it. So what if you get 300 creep kills, and make yourself unkillable, you will just be ignored while the enemy team focuses down your penny-less weak allies first. Mordekaiser does not need farm anyways, because he's already hard to kill, and most people won't target him anyways.

If you are going to play him the best thing to do is to baby sit a weak lane character in a side lane, and keep them from getting harassed.

Rancid Sac

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel a Fear View Post

Mordekaiser solo mid is a huge joke, who in their right mind would let a mordekaiser go mid?
I get 1-2 kills EVERY time that I mid on mordekaiser

Udyr

eCommerce Manager

Follow Udyr on Twitter

04-29-2010
3 of 3 Riot Posts

I need to update this guide due to the changes to Mordy, the Aegis/Starks nerfs and some other miscellaneous information that I am privy to.

Look for an updated guide sometime in the next few patches!

Rancid Sac

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
I need to update this guide due to the changes to Mordy, the Aegis/Starks nerfs and some other miscellaneous information that I am privy to.

Look for an updated guide sometime in the next few patches!

I'm not sure if you main mordekaiser or how much your play as him, but i'd really enjoy a 1 on 1 convo about how to build him. not looking for an opportunity to ask about upcoming patches or some con garbage, just like to talk about morde

nice guide tho

NJ Fury S

04-29-2010

really? so the starks and aegis isnt that viable now?

Rancid Sac

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Fury S View Post
really? so the starks and aegis isnt that viable now?
compare aegis to warden's mail + negatron cloak

NJ Fury S

04-29-2010

rancid is morde still your main? i use your build mostly and almost everyone else does not agree with you =\

Rancid Sac

04-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Fury S View Post
rancid is morde still your main? i use your build mostly and almost everyone else does not agree with you =\
yeh i switch it up from time to time but never buy warmog's

always always always get stark's and most of the time warden's mail instead of spirit visage

no one agrees but i do well with it