more adult voices?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

prYzm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-12-2009

maybe its just me, but a LOT of the characters in LOL seem to have 'childlike' voices, whether this is due to editing the sound files, or gettin child actors i dont know. Our only choices seem to be getting children or adolescents (see annie, veigar, nunu, amumu, teemo, etc) to start with, which is fine to a point but gets irritating when theres a lot like that. A bunch of the characters have more normal voices but it seems that a large portion are set from the perspective of teens or children. It'd be nice to have a few more adult voices - that arn't heavily synthesized (see cho'gath, kassadin, etc) Just my opinion


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneSilverBullet

Member

09-13-2009

Just my opinion, but I'd like to believe there's 'a character for everyone' - some adult and straightforward, some cartoon-y, some sci-fi, some silly, some tinytoon, even some sexy. Wouldn't you agree that's a good thing?

Also, irritating your fellow players with your character's voice seems to please a lot of players


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaitor

Senior Member

09-13-2009

As was already largelly discussed in this thread: http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=8051

There are all kinds of champions, and imo, the child/cartoon champions are the better ones. They have alot of presonality.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

prYzm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-13-2009

rereading my original post it seemed very confrontational, i apologise about that. i wasn't meaning to criticise the voices in any way, i enjoy the personality of the characters, it just seemse that there is an abundance of the child voices and not as much of the others.

while i agree its good to have some, remember you're going to hear what you're playing most, not what your ally or enemy is playing. and im not saying i dislike the children voices, it just seems theres a ton of them, and most of them seem centred around the caster side of play. Since i primarily like the caster voices it gets a little irritating always hearing the game from a younger perspective.

Occasionally ill go play one of the other characters like sion or Taric or something (since i generally dislike playing carry heros) but my favourites are the casters, and thats where most of the younger VO's are situated. Maybe i just play the wrong ones but its just what i seem to find. I guess it would seem a bit different if they were spread a bit more.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneSilverBullet

Member

09-13-2009

Ah - I see your point now, and just to be clear, I didn't take your original post as confrontative at all.

Now that I understand, you make a *very* good point - a very strong argument could be made for having an equal variety of voice/character styles available for each type of champion. That's absolutely something to consider moving forward.

Thanks for the follow-up!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

prYzm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-13-2009

thanks for the replies and glad i could provide some useful feedback


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VincentGraymore

Member

09-14-2009

I play often Anivia as "caster" (I think it’s wrong to use these types of classification as almost all champions are casters in lol in my eyes (they are all dependent on their skills which most of the time are active ones (sure some get better than others but still not like in dota))) and she have a very... strange voice (a bird speaking fully human), maybe this is the one referring to the sexy one :P? Anyway she sure is an adult no matter what.

As goes for other "casters", Morgana and Karthus also are adult. Teemo and Amumu as well as Nunu are what I would with the classic classification not class as "casters". In other words there are some adult and child’s but not overly much childish voices that’s just because of your choice of playing specifically those champions . As goes for Taric, he sounds like maybe 40-60 years old and look like he’s 18-25 .

Fiddlestick could also be classified as a caster but I wouldn't say he’s a child :S anyway my point was not meant to counteract yours but I don't agree with the majority of the casters being childish, maybe 6 of all the heroes have a childish voice and only two being real casters (Veigar and Annie) and Annie have her own charm as especially childish. Other casters are Janna and Ryze as well as Soraka and Zilean and they aren't especially childish either. However as stated before I do not really classify casters or not (maybe follow the lol classification mage but I don't agree with all the attributes they have) as the usage for me was mainly to point out heroes that have spells worthless near endgame (because of lacking scaling in dota) but here the stat ability point exist (I just love it ) and no hero is really weak near end (maybe Soraka).
However I would like more non “human voices” (no spoken words) as well as non human characters in the game :P but that would perhaps be against the lol “lore”?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leksu

Senior Member

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentGraymore View Post
I play often Anivia as "caster" (I think it’s wrong to use these types of classification as almost all champions are casters in lol in my eyes (they are all dependent on their skills which most of the time are active ones (sure some get better than others but still not like in dota))) and she have a very... strange voice (a bird speaking fully human), maybe this is the one referring to the sexy one :P? Anyway she sure is an adult no matter what.

As goes for other "casters", Morgana and Karthus also are adult. Teemo and Amumu as well as Nunu are what I would with the classic classification not class as "casters". In other words there are some adult and child’s but not overly much childish voices that’s just because of your choice of playing specifically those champions . As goes for Taric, he sounds like maybe 40-60 years old and look like he’s 18-25 .

Fiddlestick could also be classified as a caster but I wouldn't say he’s a child :S anyway my point was not meant to counteract yours but I don't agree with the majority of the casters being childish, maybe 6 of all the heroes have a childish voice and only two being real casters (Veigar and Annie) and Annie have her own charm as especially childish. Other casters are Janna and Ryze as well as Soraka and Zilean and they aren't especially childish either. However as stated before I do not really classify casters or not (maybe follow the lol classification mage but I don't agree with all the attributes they have) as the usage for me was mainly to point out heroes that have spells worthless near endgame (because of lacking scaling in dota) but here the stat ability point exist (I just love it ) and no hero is really weak near end (maybe Soraka).
I agree with you on this one. There is a big variation of childish and adult voices on both "casters" and "non-casters". But I must say that I can't stand listening to Veigars voice. It gives me the chills and makes me turn down the overall volume of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentGraymore View Post
However I would like more non “human voices” (no spoken words) as well as non human characters in the game :P but that would perhaps be against the lol “lore”?
I somehow agree with you on this too. I dont know what you mean about "no spoken words", but I would also like to see more "alien type" champions in the game and maybe they could speek a foreign language. Just like in the tv series and movie "Stargate", where some creatures speak old egyptian etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hmmer94

Member

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSilverBullet View Post
Just my opinion, but I'd like to believe there's 'a character for everyone' - some adult and straightforward, some cartoon-y, some sci-fi, some silly, some tinytoon, even some sexy. Wouldn't you agree that's a good thing?

Also, irritating your fellow players with your character's voice seems to please a lot of players


My faults exactly on that first part.
Leave the characters as they are.
Also notice that Lol has a cartoonish feel to it, why try to make it + like Hon?...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EightMegsOnly

Member

10-04-2009

For me it is not so much the presence of kiddy voices that annoy me, it is that they are done poorly. The acting is way over-the-top for some, and a lot of them are just too high pitched or screechy (even non kiddies like Corki do this). The lines some of them say are extremely obnoxious when coupled with the bad voices.

I think Annie is one of the better child-like voices, it is more subdued and not blatantly in-your-face. Some voices like Yeti and Veigar are so bad, I never want to play as them again.