Disputes between Players and Tournament Officials

First Riot Post
12345 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

07-17-2011
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I have reviewed some of the logged conversations from this weekend's North American Gamescom qualifier and had the chance to speak with a few parties involved in the heated dialogues that have been posted. I will continue to review this situation, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts.

Clearly there are heated statements from both players and the tournament administrators at the NESL. None of these statements are particularly mature and in fact they detract from the amazing competition that went on this weekend. They put an unnecessary tarnish on what should be a great start to the first Intel Extreme Masters tournament of the year.

Words between players and tournament officials can often get heated where there are big prizes at stake. This certainly isn't the first time this has happen in eSports and it certainly won't be the last. What I hope that the players and tournament officials will take away here is that they both made some mistakes in how they conducted themselves. I hope these mistakes won't be repeated.

My advice to tournament officials, which I post on this forum and will also deliver to them in a conversation: Keep you opinions and personal criticisms of players out of public forums.

I know firsthand how difficult it can to be a volunteer referee. You often deal with aggressive and difficult personalities and you do it for the love of the game and b/c you want to contribute something to your community. I work with the NESL on a weekly basis and they are a group of really passionate and helpful guys.

With that said, as a referee there is a responsibility to be fair, knowledgeable, and even tempered. It's not easy to do, but it's completely necessary. The best referees that I know continue to earn the respect of the players they work with because of these qualities and week after week they are successful in dealing with contentious situations.

My advice to the players. I understand that you want to see fair officiating and unbiased administrators as well especially when you have weeks worth of practice on the line. You absolutely DESERVE it. But you don't do yourselves any favors when you copy logs of tense conversations and post them up for the world to see (and with the expectations that your fans will take up your cause).

You too need to understand your relationships with tournament officials. If you want them to respect you and continue to do their jobs in a fair, then don't give them the opportunity to write off your attitude. The officials are there to keep order and yes that does mean that they can regulate you for your attitudes as well.

If you disagree with a call, then take it up respectfully with the head of league operations. If you still have an issue, then please understand that the eSports staff here at Riot does pay attention to these incidents and it's our job to improve the competitive standard.

Writing a calm and objective email to me goes a lot further than making me comb through forum logs and forum hearsay.

In addition to mediating some attitudes, there's more that we at Riot Games can do here for our competitive scene. At the Season One Championship, we used a really nice 3 ban draft mode that had modified timers to better accommodate a professional level of play by automating the pick and ban process. These features will continue to be introduced into the tournament realm and some will make it into the live service as well so that the quality of service will increase for both professional and community tournaments.

alcocerd

07-17-2011

Oh behave

jmsplat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-17-2011

i agree

Babamabushka

07-17-2011

kewl stuff

MightyPillow

07-17-2011

oook?

Caffeine King

07-17-2011

Tldr

speakerson

07-17-2011

hmm

Sinep

07-17-2011

definite a++ post of the day

Meruru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2011

Nobody cares

Jakey

07-17-2011

Im truly glad Riot has given their input on that fiasco.

Riot has gone under criticism for their stance on eSports, but truly, they handle issues far better than other facilitators do, as proven by this.

12345 ... 11