Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jago

07-14-2011

double post ugh.

Zi0nized

07-14-2011

Great post. As a player and not a designer, it is fun to have the perspective from you guys eyes.

As far as most of this stuff is concerned, I agree with. Not everything, but most.

I think what I appreciate the most from your post is that you try to explain why you do stuff like you do and that is a testament to your will to make this game the best you can, to make us enjoy it.

The game still has a lot of potential on a competitive level because it is very well-balanced, hopefully you guys can keep the direction !

Umbrii

07-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
the fiery weapons buff
make this happen

Sunset

07-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Thanks, but I'm really busy making games. No time for that.
That is a true nerd speaking xD, although a bit sad...

caseyjones

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-14-2011

3 Second CC that causes your character to randomly move, potentially towards the enemy.

3 seconds.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-14-2011
249 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That is a true nerd speaking xD, although a bit sad...
Well, I used to be a male model. But I got out of it because of how the industry objectifies men sexually. There's more to me than my wind-swept hair, you know?

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2011

Zileas, can you talk about anything you have been working on lately? You went through a break from the forums for a while it seemed.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-14-2011
250 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko Hakoo View Post
Zileas, can you talk about anything you have been working on lately? You went through a break from the forums for a while it seemed.
Recruiting...

Recruiting...

Recruiting...

Game research..

Game research...

I probably did some game design and management in there too. Busy!

HayApples

07-14-2011

Isn't this "burden of knowledge" stuff a shortcoming of the game client?

If someone dies to rupture, there is no reason you couldn't explain the ability in the death recap screen.

Or how about making the initial loading screen useful with the ability to mouse over each hero for a list of descriptors and tips that explains this stuff ahead of time.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-14-2011
251 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayApples View Post
Isn't this "burden of knowledge" stuff a shortcoming of the game client?

If someone dies to rupture, there is no reason you couldn't explain the ability in the death recap screen.

Or how about making the initial loading screen useful with the ability to mouse over each hero for a list of descriptors and tips.
Yes, good UI reinforcement and art and so forth can reduce this burden. But some abilities still will have it a lot, and some will have it a little bit. It's a set of trade-offs... but some ways of doing things ARE just better.