Item Shop Redesign / Mockup

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirror

07-08-2011

still.

wow.

also jelly a little

PenguinPaladin

07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@Sohcahtoa82 sellback is something we would probably do if we redesigned the shop. I've been burned by that too... stupid buyer's remorse!
God, I've ruined jungle routes multiple times by buying the wrong item. Worst experience ever.

Sohcahtoa82

07-08-2011

I think the worst is when I accidentally bought a Meki Pendant as my first item...with Katarina.

boourns

UI Designer

07-08-2011
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Yes! I usually burn myself on jungle builds too... buying my normal items instead of cloth armor. Fuuuuuuuu

Fontolan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2011

@SweetRein

awesome work!

I won't care if it's not possible to do or you don't want to, but here are my suggestions (probably other people already suggest those things):
- I miss the usual sell button ): ofc it's just the case of adapting, Im just used to sell things using that button.
- Can you add an always opened seach field, which i can just tab and directly write the name of the item? I just like the way its easy to google something on a browser, when you open a new tab with ctrl+t, press tab and you're already on the search field
- And also, and I saw some people suggesting it too, put and gold/5 and stackers on the 'other' filter

Anyway, great job dude! I'm impressed

And good luck on your hiring process on Riot, sounds an epic opportunity for you!

Slavik1

07-08-2011

Well done, I will go straight to the feedback.

I don't like category buttons going up when clicked, this is not needed animation and moreover, something we clicked shouldn't go somewhere else in case we want to click it again to hide. Let all categories be always opened? Clicking them again to hide seems an action not happening often too.

Search form is not cancelled by reset or clicking search button again, closing button is too small (Fitts's law!), making it bigger on mouseover is another not needed animation (and you still need to head your mouse to that small area in subconsciousness).

Not needed animations are distracting, smooth interface = better user experience.

ƒ Shepherd Book

07-08-2011

Agreed, this is the coolest thing I've seen on these boards in quite a while. There are a lot of minor things that could improve this game, but eat up dev time, and I know that UI changes can be a pain when they affect the underlying data (which should never happen if you design things right, but..).

Question: I know that the windowed client is Adobe Air-based and I think I remember that it uses Javascript for its logic (can you use jquery? if not, i'm so, so sorry.).

What's the primary language for the game itself? C#? C++? ...Java? Something in-house? (doubt it, small company trying to make a game doesn't create its own compiler)

I just ask because the mockup is obviously javascript and if, for whatever reason, the ingame engine used javascript, it would be relatively straightforward.

EDIT: Straightforward except for the recommended items. That would have to be stored on a per-user basis, and while they could (would) store the data on the local machine (as they did with masteries) rather than on their servers, it would still be far more than a GUI change.
Actually, it wouldn't be that bad at all, now that I think about it, but development speed isn't really a strong point, or maybe a priority, from what I've seen.

Skyslayer625

07-08-2011

If I start every single game with cloth armor and 5 pots, at some point I should see cloth armor and 5 pots as a one-click option. That is my biggest gripe. I just bite my lip and say "duh" every time I start a game. Also, the recommended items list should be at least 12 items. There is way too much wasted space below the recommended items list. Put some more items there!

Skyslayer625

07-08-2011

If I hit the recall button and then open the shop window and select an item to sell, and then start spamming the sell button, it should sell as soon as I get back to base. But it never does. I have to click the item again, then click sell again. I'm surprised this hasnt been fixed.

aaFen

07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@Sohcahtoa82 sellback is something we would probably do if we redesigned the shop. I've been burned by that too... stupid buyer's remorse!
No. I should hope it would be a definite thing. It's bad enough that it wasn't there from the start.