Poppy Guide: Once you pop you can't be stopped.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CommisarCain

04-19-2010

This is a guide to the rapist that is Poppy. Once you pop, they just can’t stop you. Before we get technical I’ll do a little describing of The Poppy. Poppy is not a tank. Period. Her passive does not go well with health stacking. She is highly situational however, the situations in which she is useful occur often. No worries. Three things are key Damage, Mobility, and Survivability in that order.
This is a link to her database page. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champ...ron_ambassador
Valiant Fighter - Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her CURRENT health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures.
Awesome passive. Because of this you do not want to stack much health. It won’t keep you alive by itself but, it will allow you to get in, get off, and get out.

Devastating Blow - Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage plus a flat amount and 8% of her target's max health as bonus damage. The bonus damage cannot exceed a threshold based on rank.
Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage (+0.6) plus 20/40/60/80/100 and 8% of her target's maximum health in bonus damage. The bonus damage dealt cannot exceed 75/150/225/300/375.
Cooldown - 8/7/6/5/4 seconds
Cost - 65/65/65/65/65 Mana
Range - 600

It is what it says, a DEVESTATING blow. You can pop this every 4 seconds at rank 5. Combine it with a sheen and people will be half health after 1 hit mid game. Note: When you hit this it casts on your weapon and waits for the next hit to proc. Sheen procs as soon as you cast it so, DB and sheen hit on the same swing. Sheen will damage towers DB will not.

Paragon of Demacia - Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times. Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased for 5 seconds.
Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.

Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia AND her movement speed is increased by 17/19/21/23/25% for 5 seconds.
Cooldown - 12/12/12/12/12 seconds
Cost - 60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Range - 600

I use this like a mini-ghost for travel, sheen, procs, and just in general.

Heroic Charge - Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them further. The initial impact deals a small amount of damage, and if they collide with terrain, her target will take a high amount of damage and be stunned.
Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4) magic damage. If they collide with terrain, her target takes 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.4) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 seconds.
Cooldown - 12/11/10/9/8 seconds
Cost - 50/60/70/80/90 Mana
Range - 525

This move sets poppy apart. 1 rank gives you max stun and the damage ain’t amazing although, if you knock them into terrain, as you should, then its respectable. Note: 2 glitches. One if you charge baron you will go through the back wall and have to run back around. Two , if you are top or bottom and ram someone in to the mountain across from a turret, towards the tip, you will knock them through the mountain and they will have to run around to get back in the fight.

Diplomatic Immunity - Poppy focuses intently on a single target, dealing increased damage to them. Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
For 6/6/6 seconds, Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
In addition, Poppy's attacks deal 20/30/40% increased damage to the marked target.
Cooldown - 140/120/100 seconds
Cost - 100/100/100 Mana
Range - 900

This = tower dive. You can initiate team fights this way too. In a team fight, unless you are hardcore raping already, charge in and immediately cast this on the tank. Don’t focus the tank focus the carry. Wastes the damage buff but, keeps you from being annihilated. Mini-ghost out after 3 seconds then, after they refocus go back in.

Runes – I usually take reds arm. pen. And the rest atk. spd. or just all atk. Speed
Masteries – I usually do 21-9-0 or 0-21-9 or something mixing all 3 trees.
Summoner spells –
Ghost – Na, got it in paragon already.
Heal – Your kidding right?
Ignite – almost 100% FB and remains useful.
Flash – MUST HAVE. Flash out and charge someone into your turret = win.
Teleport – Always useful.
Cleanse – You are melee, cleanse can be a lifesaver from blinds and stuns.
Exhaust – You will chase a LOT. Can be helpful
The rest are about equal in usefulness.

Skill build –
1. Charge
2. DB
3. Paragon
4. DB
5. Paragon
6. Immunity
Then Immunity>DB>Paragon>Charge. Charge can be better than paragon but, paragon gets you where you need to be to charge. The charge/paragon decision is debatable. DB is your money maker. Take charge first because, in that lvl 1 bush fight when 1 is thinking of running or its still undecided and you slam/stun their squishy its decisive and moral crushing usually.

Item Build –
1. Boots+3 hp pots. You need the boots to guerilla creeps. In last hit, out.
2. Sheen - If you don’t have sheen you are a tool.
3. Warden’s Mail or Force of Nature – Based on your lane composition/overall enemy team comp. You want the health regen pieces first so you can stay in lane. If you can’t decide go with Spirit Visage, its cheap and does the same thing except you will need to augment it later.
4. Phage or Zeal
5. Boots of Swiftness unless CC is prevalent then go Merc Treads. BoS get you into position to charge-stun and chase.
6. TriForce – has everything you need.
7. Guinsoo’s Rage Blade- usually game is nearing completion now. AP does help a small, small bit and the Dmg. + Atk speed rocks.
8. If you are fed or it’s a never ending game then stack AD.

Lvl 1-5
Hang back and run in to last hit minions and charge unwary champs. You need your basic boots to get back in case your charge gets you in a bad position. Make a trip back as soon as you have cash for Sheen.
Lvl 6-14ish
Get aggressive try to harass champs down to low health then ult and finish them off. Do the team fight thing and always always use DB. Usually you should Paragon in-hit(to use sheen proc)-DBhit-Slam-hit-DB then chase or mock in /all. Might need to charge sooner if they try to run or are near a wall. DO NOT: Slam them away from your team, Slam into their team(unless initiating), Slam just to Slam(costs mana you know) unless you are laneing.

Lvl 14ish- End game
Late game Poppy is squishy. Be careful. Try to pick someone on the edge of the fight to focus or someone with low health. Try not to get focused as everyone hits like a ton of bricks now. You still hit really hard but you aren’t as survivable. Consider switching a dmg item to another dmg reduction item.

CommisarCain

04-19-2010

O yea and if you are having trouble of a specific sort related to poppy let me know and maybe I can help you out

Doctor Awesome

06-10-2010

Solid build. I like the Warden's/Force in the middle, defense helps a lot on Poppy (rather than HP) since she can mitigate damage so well with her passive. Warden's can build to Randuin's if you really need it, which is pretty awesome--you can pop Immunity on the tank, run past to the carry, and slow their whole team all at once.

I do have a question about Devastating Blow: the wording is a little ambiguous. Do you know what parts of the ability count as "bonus damage" and what doesn't? It makes a significant difference on how easy it is to hit the capped damage. For example, if it's to be interpreted as

Base Damage: Attack Damage
Bonus Damage: 60% AP, Flat Damage, 8% Target's Max HP

Then you have the useful fact that the more AP you have, the less max HP the target has to have to get full bonus damage. For every 10 AP you have, your target would have to have 75 less max HP; since your target would need close to 2500 HP at rank 5 to hit max damage, that could help a lot. Sheen alone reduces the necessary HP by around 100.

An alternative interpretation:

Base Damage: Attack Damage, 60% AP
Bonus Damage: Flat Damage, 8% Target's Max HP

In this interpretation, AP doesn't affect the bonus, so you can stack it all day--the only thing you can do to increase the bonus is have the target have more HP.

I'm pretty sure it's the first one and not the second, because the second one would mean DB should do far less damage to low health targets, and we all know what Poppy does to casters...

peyo

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Awesome View Post
Solid build. I like the Warden's/Force in the middle, defense helps a lot on Poppy (rather than HP) since she can mitigate damage so well with her passive. Warden's can build to Randuin's if you really need it, which is pretty awesome--you can pop Immunity on the tank, run past to the carry, and slow their whole team all at once.

I do have a question about Devastating Blow: the wording is a little ambiguous. Do you know what parts of the ability count as "bonus damage" and what doesn't? It makes a significant difference on how easy it is to hit the capped damage. For example, if it's to be interpreted as

Base Damage: Attack Damage
Bonus Damage: 60% AP, Flat Damage, 8% Target's Max HP

Then you have the useful fact that the more AP you have, the less max HP the target has to have to get full bonus damage. For every 10 AP you have, your target would have to have 75 less max HP; since your target would need close to 2500 HP at rank 5 to hit max damage, that could help a lot. Sheen alone reduces the necessary HP by around 100.

An alternative interpretation:

Base Damage: Attack Damage, 60% AP
Bonus Damage: Flat Damage, 8% Target's Max HP

In this interpretation, AP doesn't affect the bonus, so you can stack it all day--the only thing you can do to increase the bonus is have the target have more HP.

I'm pretty sure it's the first one and not the second, because the second one would mean DB should do far less damage to low health targets, and we all know what Poppy does to casters...
i'm pretty sure that it's the 2nd one.

gnmish

06-10-2010

Interesting read, however I would question the rune build, attack damage (above base) does not stack with Trinity and your equipment build doesn't really do much for attack speed until Zeal/Trinity (even then its not huge)

I would be thinking of using Magic Pen marks as your DB and charge are all magic damage.

For the skill build Im a bit confused as to why you suggest Immunity>DB, as you already said Immunity is best cast on the tank and focus carry, DI level 2 and 3 only enhance target damage, not duration, so I would assume getting DB to level 5 would be priority.

One other thing I would suggest to prospective Poppies is in a long game, Guardian Angel is an awesome item, not only does it make Poppy exceptionaly difficult to kill, if you are fast you can blast down a squishy waiting to take you out in about 2 seconds once you get up. I've had many a bonus kill in team battles this way.

Dracks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-10-2010

its the second one ... and yes AP poppy hurts more than AD...