Nectarine's Guide to Kennen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kamiya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2010

Kennen, The Heart of the Tempest~

This is my first guide, but hopefully it makes sense for everyone reading. =)
Base Stats:
Health 403 (+79 / per level)
Mana 200 (+0 / per level)
Move Speed 310
Armor 14 (+3.75 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+0 / per level)
Critical Strike 3.15 (+0.5 / per level)
Health Regen 0.93 (+0.13 / per level)
Mana Regen 10 (+0 / per level)

Abilities:
Passive: Mark of the Storm - Kennen's abilities add Marks of the Storm to opponents. Upon receiving 3 Marks of Storm, an opponent is stunned and Kennen receives 25 energy.

Q: Thundering Shuriken - Kennen throws a fast moving shuriken towards a location, causing damage and adding a Mark of the Storm to any opponent that it hits.
Throws a shuriken that damages the first enemy it hits for 75/115/155/195/235 (+0.66) magic damage and adds a Mark of the Storm.
Cooldown: 7/6/5/4/3 seconds
Cost: 65/60/55/50/45 Energy
Range: Global

W: Electrical Surge - Kennen passively deals extra damage and adds a Mark of the Storm to his target every few attacks, and he can activate this ability to damage and add another Mark of the Storm to targets who are already marked.
Passive: Every 5 attacks, Kennen deals magic damage equal to 40/50/60/70/80% of his attack damage and adds a Mark of the Storm to his target.

Active: Surges electricity through all nearby targets afflicted by Mark of the Storm, dealing 65/95/125/155/185 (+0.45) magic damage and adding another mark.
Cooldown: 14/12/10/8/6 seconds
Cost: 45/45/45/45/45 Energy
Range: 900

E: Lightning Rush - Kennen morphs into a lightning form, enabling him to pass through units. Any enemy unit he runs through takes damage and gets a Mark of the Storm.
Kennen moves very fast and gains the ability to pass through units, dealing 85/125/165/205/245 (+0.55) magic damage and adding a Mark of the Storm to any hostile unit he passes through.

Kennen is refunded 40 energy if he passes through an enemy while using this spell, but can only gain this effect once. Lightning Rush deals half damage to minions.
Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds
Cost: 110/110/110/110/110 Energy
Range: 200

R: Slicing Maelstrom - Kennen summons a storm that strikes at random nearby enemy champions for magical damage.
Summons a magical storm that deals 80/145/210 (+0.33) magic damage to a random enemy champion near Kennen every 0.5 seconds. This storm attacks up to 6/8/10 times and cannot hit the same target more than 3 times.

A Mark of the Storm is applied to enemies on the first bolt they are hit by.
Cooldown: 120/120/120 seconds
Cost: 40/40/40 Energy
Range: 20

Pros:

• Excellent farming skills early game
  • Great harasser
  • Great ganking skills
  • Multi stuns during team fights
  • Awesome passive (^ massive stuns)

Cons:
  • Low health
  • Squishy
  • Requires a ton of micro-management

-- Pre-Game Options --

Summoner Skills:
In my opinion, your top choices are exhaust, ghost, teleport, cleanse, ignite, rally, and flash. Personally, I go with flash and ignite. Why?
Kennen is squishy - and you're bound to get careless, whether it be from using lightning rush or slicing maelstrom, and it's a quick and easy way to either get out of battles and away from ganks, or to pop your ultimate and flash into a group of people.
I use ignite because I tend to go for early ganks. Simple. It's a great way to get a lot of burst damage.

Runes:
http://i42.tinypic.com/21b7qsj.png
  • Red - Tier 3: Greater Mark of Insight - +.95 magic penetration
  • Yellow - Tier 3: Greater Seal of Force - +0.1 ability power per level (+1.8 at level 18)
  • Blue - Tier 3: Greater Glyph of Force - +0.17 ability power per level (+3.06 at level 18)
  • Quintessence - Tier 3: Greater Quintessence of Force - +0.43 ability power per level (+7.74 at level 18)
You could also go for health, but that's up to you, I prefer to not go with that choice.

Masteries:
There are a few options you can choose from, but these are the main two that I see being viable for Kennen. I use build #1, personally.

Build #1 -
Offense: 21 points
3/3 Archmage's Savvy
1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
3/4 Alacrity
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
1/1 Burning Embers (this is optional, but my ignite is used all the time)
1/1 Sunder
3/3 Brute Force
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Havoc

Utility: 9 points
3/3 Perserverence
1/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed (you can also go with Ulitlity Master for 15% buff duration from neutral monsters, but this is up to you).

Build #2 -
Offense: 9 points
3/3 Archmage's Savvy
1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

Utility: 21 points
3/3 Perserverence
3/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed
2/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Blink of an Eye
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of the Master

-- In Game --

Item Build:
Ruby Crystal
Boots of Speed
Amplifying Tome
Haunting Guise (Item #1 complete)
Boots of Swiftness (Item #2 complete)
Blasting Wand
Pickaxe
Guinsoo's Rageblade (Item #3 complete)
Blasting Wand
Giant's Belt
Amplifying Tome
Rylai's Crystal Scepter (Item #4 complete)
Blasting Wand
Amplifying Tome or Negatron Cloak
Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter, respectively (Item #5 complete)
Blasting Wand x3
Zhonya's Ring (Item #6 complete)
Now, this last choice is up to you. Depending on team composition, I may build a Guardian Angel right after Guinsoo's Rageblade, and then wait till everything up to Void Staff/Abyssal Scepter is complete, then sell the Haunting Guise, and build a Rylai's.
A Mejai's Soulstealer is also another viable option, if you feel that you won't die too much against a certain team composition. I don't usually grab one because I am often a little risky while playing Kennen.

Spell Choice:
1) Thundering Shuriken 1
2) Lightning Rush 1
3) Electrical Surge 1
4) Lightning Rush 2
5) Lightning Rush 3
6) Slicing Maelstrom 1
7) Electrical Surge 2
8) Lightning Rush 4
9) Thundering Shuriken 2
10) Lightning Rush 5
11) Slicing Maelstrom 2
12) Electrical Surge 3
13) Thundering Shuriken 3
14) Electrical Surge 4
15) Thundering Shuriken 4
16) Slicing Maelstrom 3
17) Electrical Surge 5
18) Thundering Shuriken 5

-- Strategy --

The main thing about Kennen is timing. This is something you'll have to get used to. The shuriken is a skill shot and will hit the first target in it's path, and if you're bad with skillshots, hopefully you can get better at them.
Another fact - if you're low, and they don't have 2 stacks, RUN AWAY. Unless you have a kayle or zilean waiting for you. If you're low in team fights, use lightning rush to rush out, and if the situation looks alright by your judgement, you may want to head in.

Early Game:
Kennen can both solo or lane with another champion. His biggest strength early game is his ability to harass and farm. His attack speed is naturally a little faster than most, and if you can't get creep kills by auto-attacking, throw your shuriken. As you level your other spells, you can kill creep waves almost instantly, while still harassing an enemy champion. If you can land 3 Marks on an enemy, and maybe get a kill - do it. Your best friend will be auto attack, lightning rush, then electrical surge. Be careful of his small health pool, because if you become reckless it will most likely be the death of your tiny baby ninja.

Mid Game:
Kennen is quite strong at this point. Once you hit 6, you should go for a kill if you haven't already done so. Think proactively, lightning rush through a champion, auto attack, then use electrical surge. Are they stunned? Use your ultimate. Sometimes, I find it is better to pop out of a bush with your ultimate, use rush to get closer, then stun - but that's up to you and your gameplay. I've wasted my ultimate a few times because I have misjudged how fast I can get to the enemy.

Late Game:
Late game for Kennen is all about damage. You should spam your nukes on CD and always be throwing your shuriken at enemies. It isn't a bad idea to use lightning rush to initiate versus one/two champions for the refunded energy you receive. If you carry flash and ignite, you can often tower dive because of his quickness. If you need to defend, the best option I've found is to sit behind your tower (or bulky Mordekaiser usually in my case), and try to lower their health little by little. If your tank can initiate, make sure you are NEVER the first to go in, unless you have a guardian angel and do not mind the 'fake death'. Initiating with Kennen with a large group of champions that can slow/stun you is probably the worst idea possible. Kennen's ultimate is amazing. Use it in team fights for large bursts along with lightning rush and electrical surge. You can stun many of their teammates at once by just doing this.

-- Tips --
Enemies will know you are squishy - use this to your advantage. Most people will play very aggressively against you just because of this. Kennen has to be one of the best champions escape mechanism wise, and even so, you can constantly stun. Lure your enemies into a bush with your teammates, which can turn into a fatal error on their part.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=17361 - you can save different mastery specs for each champion, or different specs for each champion and apply them with a few clicks! All credit goes to Mannan.

-- Ending --
All in all, Kennen is a great champion. He is not a great carry, but he is an amazing nuker. Use his lane farming abilities along with ganking abilities, and he can be very deadly. If I can think of anything else to add, I will edit this post.
P.S. His taunt and joke are awful. Have fun and good luck!
:3

QuaZi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-18-2010

go master yoda! <3

Mr Meh

04-18-2010

Great guide, thx for the tips

Akyio

04-18-2010

I saw one guy playing this kennen and he rocked with it. Actually I was a bit shocked at first cos he bought kinda useless item -> doran's ring, it gives +5 mana regen so it was pointless, but he was doing really great.
The point with kennen is probably strategy, when to rush in, to rush out from battle

Malleus Deum

04-20-2010

i use the same strat and would recommend this to people nothing better than harrasing a char with Thundering Shuriken all game. although i am mainly a skill shot char type of guy as i play mundo ez kennen and nidilee mainly.

Delta21

05-18-2010

An build:
Summoner abilities:
Cleanse(use against ignite and stuns with a quick E to escape) and Clairvoyance(very useful to make sure that your teammates don't get ganked or that your team ganks don't fail...it also spots the ocasional Junglewick). If your teammates make it well and develop well enough all you'll do is ASSIST, ASSIST, ASSIST, or take the kills for yourself...either way you are on the way to victory

1.regrowth pendat
2. ninja tabi
3. cloth armor and null magic mantle
4. chain vest >> guardian angel
5. Guinsoo's rageblade( by now you should be racking up tons of gold from farming and ganks and this will work as an extra boost)
6. another regrowth and negatron cloak(priority on negatron) for FoN OR go straight for giant's belt and Rylai
7. complete FoN/ complete Rylai's
8. void staff or zhonya's

I have about a 75% succes rate with this build and win even if one of my teammates sucks...it is very important to harass, annoy and make the enemy target you(while your teammates create minion waves and raep turrets)...not to mention popping out of nowhere to scare them off. FoN and Guardian angel are musts for such an aggresive char...he is meant to hold lanes and escape quickly as well to push and help out in ganks.

PeanutPoof

06-30-2010

Great guide! I will definitely experiment with this build. I might try Boots of Mobility, for an epic amount of speed while in Lightning Rush, it would be great for map control and quick ganks. Thanks!

Knucklz666

07-19-2010

I wanted to ask if its viable at all to try swapping out the rageblade for a deathfire's grasp. Like the rod of ages I discovered a while ago, I stumbled across someone using one, and jesus, its got a crazy high damage active, on only a one minute cd? Uhhh yes plz? Not to mention its damage stacks with AP as well xD but yeah if It is viable would you also suggest swapping out any of the other items or would the straight swap be fine on its own?

Crazy0taku

12-28-2010

This is just to point out either a typo or mistake in your masteries. In offensive all the points add up to 22 so you should double check what you are adding in for it. Other than that looks pretty good. Will try it out this week.

ArcZSlash

12-28-2010

Other than the fact that this was a massive thread revival, I wouldn't trust the OP in saying that stacking AP on him is the greatest idea, and the seal/glyph/quint choice is sub-par. His ap ratios have much to be desired, and he should be built with more a more tank-ier role in mind. Dodge seals, CDR glyphs, CDR quint, is more optimal than ap/level 18.