[Guide?] Jax: Because You Can

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Headphones

04-18-2010

Jax: Because You Can

UPDATED: v1.0.0.114 (3/29/11)

LINK TO THIS GUIDE ON LEAGUECRAFT!!!!!!
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/15344
have fun

PATCH CHANGES!
"Leap Strike now prefers to target enemies over allies when your cursor overlaps both"
cool story, bro.

QUICK, YOU PICKED JAX BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
21/9/0
Ghost/Exhaust are my picks, but do what floats your boat
Yellow Dodge, everything else close your eyes and pick
Doran's Shield > Ninja Tabi > Guinsoo's Rageblade > Hextech GUNBLADE! > whatever you want (Gunblade or Atma's or Rageblade)
Skill Priority: Relentless Assault > Leap Strike (First level only!) > Empower > CounterStrike/Leap Strike (depending on enemy team make up, with emphasis on CounterStrike dependent upon how much DPS enemy team has)
Do lots of damage, make enemies fear you

I. Intro-Jax-tion

NOTE: This was brought to my attention. This strategy is mainly for Summoner's Rift, because that is all I play. I'll go ahead with some testing on Twisted Treeline because 3's is different than 5's, especially the progression time and what not. Probably the order in which you get the items is going to change for Twisted Treeline, maybe shoot for Guinsoo's Rageblade first, I don't know, but that'll be my project for the week instead of caring about school.
You can try to get away with this build for TT, and if you do, post your results and how it went, help me compile data to draw some conclusion as to what adjustments can be made in order to help people in their conquest of that devilish forest.

Certain heroes can have different playing styles. Jax can be one of them, either Damage or AP, this guide is gonna get a little of both with huge emphasis on AD because of our *****in passive.
Jax is a carry, not a tank, if you try to tank with Jax, go kidnap a hooker because that’d be a better use of your time because you are not playing Jax right and thus doing the equivalent of putting your fist up your rectum.
Jax is hit and miss. You can suck some games or you can **** faces some games, it’s all a matter of luck, skill, and team composition. Which is ok, you’re not going to win them all. I started out poorly as Jax but practice makes perfect for making ***** deepthroat your lamppost and even then you'll still have those game in which you just suck ****.

II. Pre-Jax

Masteries – 21/9/0 easily, get Nimbleness in the Defense tree, it is truly Jax’s best friend when it comes to pursuing fodder on the run and you dodge minion attacks, thus making you go faster. Make sure to grab the Magic Pen mastery as it will greatly increase the damage you do with Relentless Assault, regardless of who you're hitting.

Runes – the only obvious choice should be your yellow runes, THEY MUST BE DODGE OR ELSE. Magic Pen/Armor Pen/Attack Speed/CDR are all fine, place them accordingly to maximize your ability to put holes in people.
Quints - whatever you are lacking, Flat HP is always great early game, but don't be afraid to experiment with your Quints because you will benefit from them vastly.

Summoner Spells to abuse:
Teleport: Gets you to places faster, always a plus
Exhaust: Great for stupid people attacking you near a tower early game, also good choice while in pursuit or if a Warrick pops up and is bugging you. Besides, it’s Blind AND Slow, what’s not to like about it?
Ghost: It's always a great escape/pursuit/initiate skill.
Ignite: I have had a change of heart with Ignite, especially since the nerf to Clense (RIP). And with the addition of Vladamir, the reduced regen/healing really hurts.
Clense: CC destroys Jax, so why not grab this
Flash: Get Out Of Jail Free Card

Summoner Spells to turn the other cheek on:
Heal/Clarity: You’ll be too busy raping people with lifesteal to care about heal and mana is for people who aren’t raping people with their basic attack/Relentless Assult
Smite: For Jungle Jax's only! Which I heard is possible, but only with like...extreme dodge and I'm too lazy and poor to try
Rally: ...does this spell even exist anymore?

III. Jax-isms

I’m going to quickly break down Jax’s skills so that you have a better understand of what you have at your fingertips. Mind you these are directly copy/paste from LoL site.

(Unique Skill)
Equipment Mastery - Jax's prowess with weapons and armor increase his fortitude as he gains equipment:
Jax gains 3 health per point of Attack Damage received from items.
Jax gains 2 health per point of Ability Power received from items.

This is what separates the Jax from the children, and is one of the reasons why I decide to go AD rather than AP, you get more health, which allows you withstand more hits which allows you to land more hits which allows for more usage of Empower/Counter Strike/Relentless Assault. It’s seriously OP, because if you think about it, your Bloodthirster will get you 300 extra hp once you fill all the stacks with minion kills. Treat the Jax with treats (see III. Inspector Jax-et) and he’ll reward you thusly. With recent patch, reduced down to 3hp/1 AD from items, still a viable option, though it does pain me to know that bloodthirsters are only 300 hp now.

Q
Leap Strike - Jax leaps toward a target. If it's an enemy, he smacks it in the face with his lamppost.
Jax leaps towards a target. If it's an enemy, he attacks it and deals an additional 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.7) magic damage.
Cooldown 13/11/9/7/5 seconds
Cost 65 Mana
Range 700

Great skill, great range, great fight initiator, its how I always open fights because it really does take a big chunk out of their health when you follow that up with your initial basic attack, also great for comboing with Empower or if you have a Counter Strike proc up.

W
Empower - Jax's charges his weapon with energy, causing his next attack to damage an enemy. RESETS AUTO ATTACK TIMER!!! VERY IMPORTANT
Jax charges his weapon with energy, causing his next attack to deal 75/110/145/180/215 damage (+0.4 of AP and AD)to an enemy.
Cooldown 9/8/7/6/5 seconds
Cost 20 Mana
Range 300

There has been some significant change to this skill with the 1.0.0.103. Empower no longer does AoE damage, but only to a single target now, and it got a serious buff to cancel out its AoE. Honestly, this is some serious buff, especially because it now resets Jax's auto attack timer, so it can be used after a hit to speed up the raping process. I honestly love this new rework, because I wasn't too keen really on grabbing it early, but now I grab one in it early so that if I go to gank, I can get a free extra power swing in while people still don't have the strength to withstand such punishment. Now its the good only Empower/LeapStrike = Half the HP bar gone

E
Counter Strike - Jax's prowless allows him to dodge enemy attacks frequently. After avoiding an attack Jax can quickly stun surrounding enemies.
Passive: Increases Jax's dodge chance by 10/12/14/16/18%.
Active: Jax stuns surrounding enemies for 1 second and deals 80/110/140/170/200 (+0.6) magic damage to them.
Usable only within 7 seconds of dodging an attack.
Cooldown 5 seconds
Cost 60 Mana
Range 400

Passive = More Dodge = More Time Alive = More Hits = More Awesome
Active = it’s a stun, what’s not to love about it?
This is especially fun if you happened to play a Prot Warrior in WoW because it works exactly like Revenge but without the AoE stun…or any stun whatsoever. This is great to combo in with Leap Strike to effectively burst someone to death in a matter of microseconds. A blue sphere will quickly surround Jax which is a visual indicator that Counter Strike is available for use. Combine with Nimbleness talent tree and profit.

R
Relentless Assault - Jax's greatest talent lies in his ability to grow stronger with every attack. Each successive attack increases his attack speed temporarily, and every 3rd blow will devastate his target.
Passive: Jax's basic attacks increase his attack speed by 6/10/14% for a short duration, and hitting the same unit 2 consecutive times enhances Jax's next attack for 140/170/210 (+0.7) bonus magic damage.
Attack speed stacks up to 10 times.
Active: Grants 20/35/50 + Jax's dodge percent in bonus magic resistance for 5/6.5/8 seconds upon activation.
Cost: 80 mana
Cooldown: 60 seconds

In case you somehow lost your ability to comprehend what you just read, let me sum up. Every third straight strike, you do A LOT more damage, and each time you hit someone, you hit faster and faster and faster. Combine with Guinsoo’s Rageblade and profit.
It’s really simple, more hitting = more powerful hitting = making opponents assume fetal position upon seeing you charging at them
The new active is simply AWESOME and gives Jax some serious survivability against his nemeses....CASTERS!
pop before going in against casters and PROFIT

Skills to pay Jax's Bills:

Now that you know what you’re dealing with, time to decide when to get it.
Off the bat, I like to get Leap Strike for these reasons: Chase/Escape/Good amount of damage
2nd Level would be Empower
And 3rd level is CounterStrike
Now this is where people really get frustrated except on Levels 6/11/16, WHAT SKILL TO GRAB?!?!?!?!
With the new changes to Empower from the Old Jax, Empower now gets the nod on the priority list, low mana cost, low cooldown, great last hitting tool and insane early AND late game damage with piled with LeapStrike
But Headphones! There are levels where you can't get Empower! Well there Timmy, look at the enemy team. How many Physical DPS champs do they have? 2 or more? Well then, put an emphasis on CounterStrike! Mainly casters? LeapStrike to get to them faster! Even team composition? See which is doing better then adjust accordingly.

IV. Inspector Jax-et

So I've had some changes of heart with the changes of the metagame and what not and especially with the emphasis of AP with the recent item changes and what not

Start? Doran's Shield! Survivability but it slows down item progression but lets you stay in lane long enough to grab a kill or two with a nice Leap Strike/Empower combo

First trip back you should be able to grab Ninja Tabi ( THE ONLY BOOTS YOU NEED EVER ) and if you have that much money, start working on Guinsoo's RAAAAAAAAGEblade starting wiiiiiiiiiiiiith the Blasting Wand, don't wait for the Pickaxe, Jax's ratios are really good and the blasting wand will definitely provide a difference in damage output.

after Guinsoo's, start on the GUNBLADE! GUNBLADE! is your best friend in this game, lots of AD and AP with Vamp for both. Recently I've started doing Spell Vamp first, but meh, go how you feel about it, I'm not your mother and I won't hold your hand through the process.

Usually a game might end at this point, but if not, aim for items that you think you need.
(LoL is a very situational game, with the Situation (good ol' Mike) constantly changing (and fist pumping and hanging with grenades), so you have to play it and not let it play you)
Phantom Dancer is good, but you can never go wrong with a Banshee’s Veil.
Other acceptable items would be Atma’s Impaler, Last Whisper (for the heck of it, plus can’t go wrong with AD and Armor Pen), Mandred’s Bloodrazor (if the opposing team is heavy on tanks), Infinity Edge (though other items are more vaulable than this, because you can get (correct me if im wrong) both Atma's and LW for the price of IF, and that's a hefty dps difference between them)

saw this somewhere else and I thought I'd like to give a shoutout to it.
the all knowing Heat N' Serve showed something that I would normally think unorthodox but I really want to try it because of the numbers.
He says he gets a second Guinsoo's Rageblade
After some matches of doing that, you can put out more damage faster because of how they double stack, its a good viable option to help reach fast attacking while getting more AP.
If you're bored, go ahead and try it, its actually fun.

How to be a **** Jax?
easy, STACK GUNBLADES
profit

V. Jax On

Early game: as usual, try not to get killed. Not that hard. Seriously. Avoid taking mid, because they’ll send a range person in who could easy kill you early on, thus giving their carry the advantage.
Try to lane with someone with a stun, it makes it advantageous for you when you can get in a few extra swings after a leap strike/empower and they stun to keep them still for you.
Remember to blue pill out and grab items whenever convenient, and to heal up of course.

Mid game: by now you should have Guinsoo’s Rageblade, which means you are ready to venture out into the world and destroy the enemy team’s first born children. It’s very simple, gank ******* who are too busy trying to push. Pop Empower, Leap Strike in, profit. Also, if you see a large group of enemy minions gathering in a lane, run to it and kill everyone single one of them. Remember to grab Lizard or kill the ***** who has it, it’s extremely essential to Jax and downing people faster and pursing people after landing a Leap Strike because of its slow.

Late Game: If the enemy team hasn’t surrendered yet by the 20 min mark, then that’s fine, make them regret that decision by castrating their offense every moment that you are alive. Remember to buy your items, grab Lizard (and even Golem for the heck of it), and to keep reminding the enemy team that you are still large and in charge, pillaging their morale by constantly slaying them with your mighty Lamppost O’ Doom.

Remember that Jax is only good if his team is good, Jax is not a tank and you shouldn’t treat him as one nor should he be the only melee champion on your team.

That’s all I can really say and/or do, the rest is up to you.
Happy Jax-ing!

Jedo

04-18-2010

hey man i like your guide xD

i just noticed we made both of our guides almost the same time as each other xD

Jedo

04-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphones View Post
Early game: as usual, try not to get killed. Not that hard. Seriously. Avoid taking mid, because they’ll send a range person in who could easy kill you early on, thus giving their carry the advantage.
this isn't always the case

if they send a ranged carry at mid against jax (not saying that a jax SHOULD go mid) jax would just eat them up with counter and leap strike

now for spellcasters.. that's a different story

Headphones

04-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedo View Post
if they send a ranged carry at mid against jax (not saying that a jax SHOULD go mid) jax would just eat them up with counter and leap strike
It would be very difficult to do even that because their range would just kite Jax, constantly robbing you easily of xp and gold because you're too busy healing. Or at least that's what a good player would do against Jax at mid.
It's a matter of controlling the lane, Jax can't control the lane in mid against range early on, too squishy and not dodgy enough.

Jedo

04-18-2010

Quote:
It would be very difficult to do even that because their range would just kite Jax
most spells and ranged DPS need to get within a certain distance of jax to hit him

that's enough for leap strike

as for being hit back

that's what hp regen is for

Yeorwned

04-18-2010

I'd only recommend this method on SR. Progression is too slow for TT.

Headphones

04-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeorwned View Post
I'd only recommend this method on SR. Progression is too slow for TT.
that was what I was aiming for really.
I'll have to try a Jax build for TT, because I've only been playing SF with Jax and with great success.
Plus I'm just not a fan of 3's, like more people, more people to blame =]

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2010

Great guide, I still think Atma's Impaler is a great item for Jax.

Carados

05-03-2010

The two problems I see are the skilling order is pretty bad and you forgot about cleanse.

You want to level Leap Strike first because it's your best damage spell and it lets you jump in, smack someone a few times, then jump away.

Headphones

05-03-2010

Quote:
Now that you know what you’re dealing with, time to decide when to get it.
First skill should always be Leap Strike, afterwards, try to cycle between all three with a little more emphasis on Leap Strike because its your “nuke”, and remember to grab Relentless Assault whenever you can.
yeeeeeeeeea...i said that.
my skilling order is sketch because you take it on needs, though most of the time you find yourself needing more dodge than anything, but maybe you're doing fine dodging with one rank of Counter Strike and want to put more power behind Empower, because you can Leap Strike in with Empower up and land 2 spells really fast which should scare away most sane players.

its just not as noticeable as everyone elses because they list specifically what you should get when, and i'm not an indoctrinator, get what you need to get, and do what you gotta do.