New Front End, first impressions and feedback

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

eXes

07-10-2009

So we get the new front end this weekend. To avoid OVER NINE THOUSANDS of threads about it, just post a detailed first impression in this thread. To keep it clean do not comment or spam it, it will be easier for riot to get a clue how we feel about it. I will edit this post with my impression after i played the game.

There goes my edit:

The new frontend is really an awesome step in the right direction. It looks better, more cleaned up and the future features we can see in it are promising. The rune system is overall a good thing, just needs some midification. It is hard to see through the system and to use it properly.

The champions screen is awesome, i would split them in like 3-5 catergories to make picking easier. The 20 categories there now are bit too much. I love the new picking system, with the champions then summoner spells then runes and finally even masteries ! If we could get profiles for our masteries now it would be awesome. I would then increase the time by 20 seconds and add a ready button. When you do not know what champion you are going to pick the time is too short, if you do know it is too long.

The front end seems to react a bit slow sometimes, especially on the rune pages. Also i would like more stats in future, like a detailed screen with EVERYTHING that could be interresting.

So overall, great job there riot, i can't wait to see the future features.

Nyanpaia

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

Grats on your beta key

Mindler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

I love the new front end, other than the small little bugs like the missing rune image, and a lot of cut off text.

also, Please leave logged in would be awesome

micha

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

Wow, i wanna save me an spot on the first site of these epic thread! Will edit this ppost with my impressions later/tomorrow!

Larias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

Omg i will edit later too

micha

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

I dont like the wait time when the Play Game/Armory Buttons are driving down/up and its also very glitchy, thats the first thing wich i saw and wich is a lil bit annoying ;(

Fayd

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

I really like the interface, as compared to the last one. It finally feels like a game.

All right, my impressions:

Runes. What? I understand what they are and their function, but they need to me more distinct from masteries. At the moment, they overlap a little (mana, mana regen, etc.) The masteries could/should be only for summoner spells if you want Runes to stand out, POSSIBLY with the WoW option of getting some unique to mastery spells.

It is still a little bit slow/laggy, but it is SO much better than the other client that I almost feel bad saying it.

Chat/buddies are a little bit hidden now. A little bit of a problem.

More options? Allow us to customize recommended items, have an item library?

I had an idea for something that would launch a mini client, a room where you can spawn any creep/champ you like, in whatever numbers you like (with AI settings), and an infinite amount of gold to buy items with. It could be a "training" room, though it's more like a testing room in actuality.

I like the graphical look. It is designed well, I like the colors (maybe because blue is my favorite)

And that's about it for the moment.

Volibar

Senior Product Manager

Follow Volibar on Twitter

07-10-2009
1 of 10 Riot Posts

Let's hear it guys! The team is ready to make this better. We know we'll be trying to do some optimizations and fixing some bugs early next week, but let's hear some suggestions and thoughts!

Werewolf

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

Cannot type <3 in the lobby chat, this is important! PlzFix

rogerchew

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

- client is still laggy.
- chatting still has a slight delay from keypress to display on the screen.
- the tool bar at the top moving up/down transitioning is a nice effect but when you exit the game screen and go back to the main window, when the toolbar comes down, it overlaps the main window and then there's a resize effect that isn't smooth. i'm sure you're aware of this.
- buddy window still looks featureless and very plain.
- chat window is very small and cramped.
- in summoner profile, should be able to scroll down on the "most heros played", "recent matches", to see more than the first 3-4 lines.

all in all, this front end is SOOOO much better than the last one. Keep up the improvements!!!!

biggest complaint is the lag when using it, fading effects don't feel smooth, transitions, etc.

12345 ... 7