[Guide] How to flip the **** out as Shen, killsteal and never die.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CTHDRL

04-11-2010

I've been playing around with Shen, and have been doing surprisingly awesome with him.

Note; Fixed for the illiterate and the whiners.
Note2; This is how I play Shen. I do very well; even when I'm in a 5-man paired against people who have ~1000 wins. You are free to disagree; this does not make your opinions valid (to me).

My runes...

Ar Pen red + 1 Arpen quint.

Dodge yellow

Magic resist + CD@18 Blue

2 AP quints.

(My Jax runes.)
Or go typical tank. Or magic pen. I prefer to hit towers harder.

Masteries...

Either build into defense or offense, with your secondary in either one.

21/9/0 with 9 going into dodge.

9/21/0 with 9 going into attack speed. Or Magic Pen.

I run Ignite + exhaust.

Alternative spells that I like are

Clairvoyance
Rally
Heal (will explain)

I won't go over his story or his abilities too much; that should be common knowledge by now.

Skill order..

Max Q ASAP.
Max E next.
R when you can.
W when you have no other options.

Start with regrowth pendant (or red crystal if your team is going to gank a lot; to get Levi) and lane with a buddy who has some CC. Get last hits, and Q+auto attack to heal up any harassment.

Be sure to throw Q on melee minions your partner is attacking if they've lost some health.

If the opposing team has healers or heavy CC I gank at tower. By waiting for them to take that one step too close into tower range and taunting them. Happens more often then you would think. Works awesome with a stunning lane partner; at all levels.

*Pause*

Shadow dash can take stealthers out of stealth. Epic lulz will ensue as they call out hax.

*Resume*

As I previously mentioned, taunt anyone who gets even close to your tower's range. Have your buddy throw on some CC. Unless you have Shaco or fort-pot Katarina on your team you just got FB. Or a normal kill if it isn't early-game.

Spam Q, to the extent that you will be able to E+Q if you need to. Save E for initiation and preventing people from escapes or using channels; protecting teammates while they are stunned.

Ideally you want a lane partner who can hold their own against tower divers if they need to. So you can proceed to save more people than Jesus ever did, with your Ultimate.

Using your ultimate is tricky. First of all you have to constantly watch the mini-map, and before you use your ult you simply have to have the experience to know if your teammate is a lost cause or completely saveable.

You shield is not impenetrable.
Do their attackers have a lot of burst damage?
Unused CC?
Are there more about to flank?

If you decide to use your ult; multiple things can happen.

Likely there is a gravely wounded person chasing (clearly your friend got into trouble somehow). Ult in, if you took heal or rally, use it now, to help out your teammates a little. If not, E onto as many chasers as possible.

Preferably the wounded ones, and the most dangerous ones simultaneously.

Once taunt is wearing off throw exhaust on the one likely to hurt somebody the most with auto-attacks, Q + ignite any wounded squishies.

If your teammates is dumb, they will try and "help". If this is the case, do not bother helping said teammate(s) any longer they now deserve to get killed, try to score a kill to make your ult worthwhile. If they continue to run; spam E to let them get away.

Run to some random wall, E over it, and skip away off to LOLOL-Land.

Rinse and repeat.

E is probably one of the most useful skills in the game.

EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T STOP FIDDLE FROM CHANNELING.

DUBBYA TEE EFF

Anyways..

E will save so many lives... It is almost disgusting.

Items that work on Shen..

Warmogs.

But Shen can't farm!

STFU yes he can. It's called map awareness, and skill spam. The more minion attack you, the more your passive procs, the more minions die. Sunfire cape makes this process almost too easy; not as easy as Ashe has it, but still pretty **** easy.

Sunfire cape.

Tabi/treads/BoSpeed (you should know when it is appropriate to get either)

Aegis.

Levi. (When your team ganks a LOT, and doesn't allow you to farm much)

Starks.

Thornmail.

Banshees.

Spirit Visage.

And PineapplePine reminded me;

Atmas is also tasty.

Damage. (Late game only) [Like I said, I like to hit towers harder; especially late-game]

Stack healthhealthhealthhealthhealth And armor/MR.

If need be, take on the very underappreciated role of Aura *****.

Your last slot(s) should go to damage IMO. At end game you simply do not hit towers very hard, even though you could; if given the opportunity; tank every single tower without going B, consecutively. Unfortunatly you are rarely given more than a few seconds, unless you totally dominated then aced the other team.

Recap.

Warmogs/Levi
Boots
Sunfirecape
Armor/MR
Armor/MR
Damage

GG you are now unkillable unless all 5 enemies are present; and you are for some reason, all by yourself in front of a tower.

"OMG how can you talk about being unkillable and not get W omgomgomg".

Your job is to protect teammates. Not yourself. Your items all ready make you unkillable, W does not help teammates in any way. Getting W early gimps your early game IMO. The extra Q damage and E duration is just too valuable.

Maxing Q = MOAR LifeSteal OMNOMOM

Maxing E = MOAR Dead enemies who are RRAAAAGGGINNGGG because you ruined their combo/chasing/ultimate/escape/CC/made them auto attack you (the tank) instead of that tasty squishy.

I am not a fan of frozen mallet. You already have 0 problems chasing everyone except other ninjas and Nidalee. It's too expensive IMO and DO NOT RUSH IT.

STOP RUSHING PHANTOM DANCER AND FROZEN MALLET

YOU MAKE ME SICK

PineapplePine

04-11-2010

If you got warmog...and sunfire...it only means 1 thing. Get Atma's Impaler. Armor + Crit + Damage =]

CTHDRL

04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineapplePine View Post
If you got warmog...and sunfire...it only means 1 thing. Get Atma's Impaler. Armor + Crit + Damage =]
I knew I was forgetting something!

Malduk

04-11-2010

1) Armor penetration on Shen?? His physical output is terrible, and done mostly on creeps. Shen does damage with Ki strike and Vorpal. Both are magical.

2) AP quints - waste of quints.

3) Shen CANT farm. Yes he can last hit creeps without a problem, and will farm during laning phase. Now check your average count of minions slain and see if you can really fill that Warmog.

4) If you're the only tank there, and you're not getting Aegis, you're doing it wrong.

5) Damage item (except Atmas) wont get you anywhere. If you really want more damage output, be useful and get Starks.

Other than the runes and your build, I agree with playstyle

CTHDRL

04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malduk View Post
1) Armor penetration on Shen?? His physical output is terrible, and done mostly on creeps. Shen does damage with Ki strike and Vorpal. Both are magical.

2) AP quints - waste of quints.

3) Shen CANT farm. Yes he can last hit creeps without a problem, and will farm during laning phase. Now check your average count of minions slain and see if you can really fill that Warmog.

4) If you're the only tank there, and you're not getting Aegis, you're doing it wrong.

5) Damage item (except Atmas) wont get you anywhere. If you really want more damage output, be useful and get Starks.

Other than the runes and your build, I agree with playstyle

Like I said I am using my Jax runes. I even put it in parenthesis.

Shen CAN farm. As well as Ashe? No.

I already suggested Aegis.

I also suggested Starks.

I explicitly suggested damage to take down towers.

/readguideagainpleaseyou'redoingitwrong.

:P

Zagzax

04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post

No, he doesn't have volley and shouldn't be stacking carry items. Duh.

Malduk

04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Like I said I am using my Jax runes. I even put it in parenthesis.

I already suggested Aegis.

I also suggested Starks.

I explicitly suggested damage to take down towers.

/readguideagainpleaseyou'redoingitwrong.

:P
What is the point in suggesting runes that are not made for champion in the guide?

Also, I did read your guide. It has a recap:
Quote:
Recap.

Warmogs
Boots
Sunfirecape
Armor/MR
Armor/MR
Damage
Aegis is not some random armor/mr item. It is one of the most important tank items.
Starks is not damage item.
Saying "Shen can farm" proves nothing. As I said, go check how many minions on average you're killing per game and then come back with a conclusion.

Also, Shen is not a pusher. You dont NEED to take down towers. You need to do what you're supposed to do.

But, by all means, carry on with whatever you think works.

CTHDRL

04-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malduk View Post
What is the point in suggesting runes that are not made for champion in the guide?

Also, I did read your guide. It has a recap:

Aegis is not some random armor/mr item. It is one of the most important tank items.
Starks is not damage item.
Saying "Shen can farm" proves nothing. As I said, go check how many minions on average you're killing per game and then come back with a conclusion.

Also, Shen is not a pusher. You dont NEED to take down towers. You need to do what you're supposed to do.

But, by all means, carry on with whatever you think works.
Because the runes work.

I specifically mentioned being an Aura *****.

Aegis and Starks are the 2 most popular Aura items; not counting mana manip.

Shen CAN farm.Between Q spam and your passive you farm better than all other tanks, because your skill spam comes at technically no cost. Since it returns in a handful of seconds.

This process is even faster once you get a sunfire cape.

How is Shen not a pusher? Shen has to be there to push, he's the ****ing tank. With an amazing taunt that cancels most of the major abilities in the game, and keeps your teammates from getting owned. And he can tank towers + enemies no problem. Not to mention he can do so while ulting a teammate so they can also tank the tower.

Honestly, you're clearly just an office-chair theory crafter, who has your own "set in stone" opinion and anyone who disagrees is "obviously" wrong.

Good day.

Kreicus

04-12-2010

Warmog's is great on Shen, even without the ability to farm. Warmog's has the best money to health ratio Before any Stacks of any completed item. I do however usually get Leviathan before Warmogs, and usually get it full before I complete Warmogs.

EDIT: Bold Section

Wra7h

04-12-2010

Attack speed doesnt do much for Shen since his dmg comes from KI strike and Vorpal Blade - non of em scales with AS. ArP is almost uselss for him KI and VP both do magic dmg.

Getting at least rank 1 of Feint early can hlp you to stay in lane longer or save your butt in some oh c.r.a.p moments. It a great skill when 1v1 or 1v2.

Early game one rank of dash is enough to save your butt/get you kill/save team-mate. What I really like about it is that it allowes me to taunt minions on enemy tower = more KI procs = dower down in no time. (especially on TT)

Farming with shen = knowing hot to last hit.

Stack HP like crazy, get Atma's, some AP if you can afford it doesnt hurt, rape buttocks!