League of Legends Community
12345 ... 8

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide]Blitzcrank, The Steam Golem (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=8906)

Zoobi 09-03-2009 04:05 PM

[Guide]Blitzcrank, The Steam Golem

UPDATED FOR THE CURRENT PATCH(12/17/09)

Thanks go to Vukasa for the guide layout.

Without further ado here's my guide to Blitzcrank.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
* Hero analysis
* Abilities
* Summoner Skills
* Runes and Mastery Tree
* Items
* Last Thoughts

HERO ANALYSIS
Blitzcrank plays best as an initiator and/or tank. He has the ability to essentially take one person out of the fight at the beginning. He feeds on aggressive opponents and makes them suffer for mistakes they make.

ABILITIES

Rocket Grab(Q): Blitzcrank fires his right hand, if it encounters an enemy unit it will stun them and deal X Magic Damage while he pulls them to himself.

Note: Rocket Grab has 1:1 ability ratio.

1 - 60 Damage 22 second cooldown
2 - 120 Damage 21 second cooldown
3 - 180 Damage 20 second cooldown
4 - 240 Damage 19 second cooldown
5 - 300 Damage 18 second cooldown

Overdrive(W): Blitzcrank super charges himself to increase movement speed by X and attack speed by X. However when this effect ends his movement speed is decreased by 25% for 3 seconds. 22 Second Cooldown

1 - 16% Movement Speed, 30% Attack Speed
2 - 20% Movement Speed, 38% Attack Speed
3 - 24% Movement Speed, 46% Attack Speed
4 - 28% Movement Speed, 54% Attack Speed
5 - 32% Movement Speed, 62% Attack Speed

Powerfist(E): Blitzcrank charges his fist to make his next attack deal double damage and pop his target into the air.

1 - 9 Second Cooldown
2 - 8 Second Cooldown
3 - 7 Second Cooldown
4 - 6 Second Cooldown
5 - 5 Second Cooldown

Static Field(R): Passive: Lightning arcs off of blitzcrank to hit a random nearby enemy for X Magic Damage every 3.5 seconds. Activating removes passive until Static Field becomes available again. 45 Second Cooldown
Active: Deal X Magic Damage.
Note: Passive has .3:1 Ability ratio and active has 1:1 Ability ratio.

1 - Passive: 100 Damage, Active: 200 damage 3 second silence
2 - Passive: 200 Damage, Active: 300 damage 4 second silence
3 - Passive: 300 Damage, Active: 400 damage 5 second silence

Passive: Mana Barrier - Blitzcrank's Mana Barrier can activate once a minute when he hits 200 Health. This creates a Mana Shield, which absorbs damage dealt to Blitzcrank, up to 50% of his current mana, lasts 10 seconds and refunds any unspent mana.

1. Rocket Grab
2. Power Fist
3. Overdrive
4. Power Fist
5. Overdrive
6. Static Field
7. Power Fist
8. Power Fist
9. Power Fist
10. Overdrive
11. Static Field
12. Overdrive
13. Overdrive
14. Rocket Grab
15. Rocket Grab
16. Static Field
17. Rocket Grab
18. Rocket Grab

Powerfist is your bread and butter farm and damage/cc skill which is why I skill it up as much as possible to reduce its cooldown. Rocket grab damage is nice, but it is mostly there for its pull. Powerfist+Overdrive destroys towers especially with sheen.

Summoner Skills:
Flash – Rocket Grab+Flash can take an enemy far into your group where there is no escape. It can be a little tough to do at first, but once you get it down your teammates will love you.
2nd Skill is up for grabs, I tend to go with cleanse for good fleeing ability with overdrive, but heal and exhaust also work well.
RUNES AND MASTERY TREE:

Runes:
Magic resist per level in reds(marks)
Armor per level in yellows(seals)
Magic resist per level in blues(glyphs)
Flat health in blacks(quints)

Reasoning being Blitzcrank is best played as a tank and these will provide you the best overall tank ability.
Masteries:
0/21/9 is the best mastery path for Blitzcrank.

ITEMS:

First off, if you play in a high enough elo bracket where there are always level 1 fights for runes/dragon you will want to start off with doran’s shield and a mana potion. If not follow the below item builds. After your level 1 fight move onto whatever item build suits the game at hand.

Item Build 1(Vs caster heavy teams)
Trinity Force
Mercury Treads
Banshee’s Veil
Aegis of the Legion
Guardian Angel
Force of Nature

Start off with sapphire crystal and 2 health potions, at 1210 gold go back to base and buy sheen and regular boots. Buy Mercury Treads when possible/necessary. Farm up your catalyst next, and then your Aegis. Finish the veil and move onto Trinity Force. Chances are you won’t get Trinity force before the game is over. If you happen to make it past the 4th item, build a guardian angels and finally a force of nature.

Reasoning behind this build and it’s order;
Sheen is an essential item to any blitzcrank build early on, it offers a nice boost in damage whenever you use your abilities and extra mana for your shield. Mercury treads for the cc reduction and magic resist are an obvious buy. Veil offers a great chunk of health and mana in addition to the amazing unique ability and magic resist. Aegis offers more health and survivability and any tank needs to grab this item to offer more damage/survivability to his teammates and himself. Chances are you won’t make it to the trinity force and beyond before the game is over, but if you do Trinity Force adds every stat you need, in addition to the slow and extra damage on hit after using an ability. Guardian Angel is an obvious item as well, more survivability and the rez on death buff. Force of nature rounds out the build with more move speed, magic resist, and the nice regen.

Item Build 2(Vs carry heavy teams)

Trinity Force
Ninja Tabi
Aegis of the Legion
Frozen Heart
Guardian Angel
Sunfire Cape

Start off with sapphire crystal and 2 health potions, at 1210 gold go back to base and buy sheen and regular boots. Buy ninja tabi when possible. Farm up your glacial shroud next for the extra armor, mana and cooldown reduction. Move on to Aegis next then finish out your frozen heart. Again, you aren’t likely to finish the trinity force and beyond, but if you do then finish it then your guardian angel. Sunfire cape will finish out the build, it adds a little bit of extra damage and health/armor.

Reasoning behind the build and it’s order;
Sheen is an essential item to any blitzcrank build early on, it offers a nice boost in damage whenever you use your abilities and extra mana for your shield. Ninja tabi is amazing mitigation vs carries via the dodge and the extra armor. Aegis again offers more health and survivability and any tank needs to grab this item to offer more damage/survivability to his teammates and himself. Frozen Heart offers a lot of survivability to yourself, in addition to your team through the autoattack slow on enemies. Chances are you won’t make it to the trinity force and beyond before the game is over, but if you do Trinity Force adds every stat you need, in addition to the slow and extra damage on hit after using an ability. Guardian Angel for the extra survivability and rez on death buff. Sunfire for some extra damage and armor/health.

Item Build 3(vs balanced teams)
Trinity Force
Mercury Treads
Aegis of the Legion
Banshee’s Veil
Guardian Angel
Frozen Heart

Sheen is an essential item to any blitzcrank build early on, it offers a nice boost in damage whenever you use your abilities and extra mana for your shield. Mercury treads for the cc reduction and magic resist are an obvious buy. Build your catalyst and then move on to Aegis next for a the nice aura and extra health. Glacial Shroud next offers some much needed armor and mana, in addition to the cooldown reduction. Finish your veil and then your frozen heart. If you find your survivability is fine at this point, finish your trinity force, if not move to the guardian angel.

Reasoning behind the build and it’s order;
Offers survivability vs both types of damage in addition to auras needed for your team and against your enemy team.

Final thoughts on all builds:

First off, use your head when choosing a build for a particular game. If the enemy team composes of 1 tank 1 caster and 3 carries(most likely to find this team comp solo queueing at this patch in the game) you will want to go the vs carry build. If you 5 man premade most of the time you are more likely to run into balanced teams(2 casters 2 carries 1 tank, or 2 tanks 1 caster 2 carries) so you will want to go with that build. As you can see, Trinity Force and Guardian Angel is common for any blitzcrank build, however you’re not likely to get to either of these by the end of the game unless the teams are extremely imbalanced and you score a lot of kills/assists, or the opposite and they’re extremely balanced and the game lasts 40-60 minutes.

Early game:
Play defensively! Do not engage enemy champions until they present an opening to rocket grab and power fist combo them. Try your hardest to farm up enough to get sheen and the regular boots before heading back. Rocket grab into power fist is your bread and butter combo, once you get static field you can couple that into the combo for some sick burst which with a teammate or 2 is enough damage/cc to kill any champion outright.

Mid game:
Continue ganking when possible, but if you see an oppurtunity to push a lane, do it.
Blitzcrank has the awesome ability to drop towers quickly with power fist doubling your physical damage combined with sheen. Doing 250+ Damage a powerfist to a tower is a quick way to drop a tower and get out. It will take some time to practice grab+flash moves, but when you master this it will leave any enemy helpless to get out alive. In team fights don't use Static Field to gank one target, use it when as many champions as possible are close to you as the aoe damage is devastating.

Late game:
Late game is essentially the same as mid game, by this time you will be most of the way through your chosen item build. You will be an amazing tank and initiator for team fights, in addition to a great ganker. Blitzcrank is an amazing tower killer so don’t be afraid to push when available.

LAST THOUGHTS/TIPS

Blitzcrank is easily one of the best team fight initiators in the game, you can essentially take one target out of a fight right at the beginning and force your enemies to panic and make the mistake of trying to get away, or stay and inevitably die trying.

The Rocket Grab Flash – When you KNOW your rocket grab will hit someone on its way to the target you can flash in the opposite direction and you will pull the target all the way to you, even further than a normal grab. This is a good way to start out a fight because his teammates won’t be able to help him.

The best way to play the game, using any champion, is to keep a cool head; Don’t panic, and general map awareness are the fastest ways to winning.

UPDATED FOR THE CURRENT PATCH(12/17/09)

Exodus 09-04-2009 06:36 AM

Sweet guide, just finished the rune page, I'll be trying it out this evening ^_^.

Draggan 09-04-2009 07:07 AM

Thanks for the build man. Got my beta key last week but was out of town/busy up until today so I havent had a chance to play yet so I have just been doing a lot of research about champion guides and all the other guides that are available so i wasnt completely clueless when I started playing. I didnt play DotA alot but when I did play I spent most my time playing as Pudge(even though I wasnt great at him he was my favorite) so I was happy as hell when I read Blitzcranks skill guide in the patch notes.

Dracius 09-04-2009 08:52 AM

I've tried several builds with him, and I've found I don't need the frozen mallet. I've instead been taking an archangel staff and really liking it. It has perfect synergy with his mana shield and other abilities. It also gives me just the right amount of mana regen to stay pretty much capped out on mana, which means when I get low health, I get a 1.5k+ damage buffer.

As for which damage item to get (Black cleaver/Blood thirster/Infinity edge) I'm still a little undecided. I love blood thirster, but haven't had a chance to try it out on him yet. The defense items you listed are also excelent choices. Anything that gives health AND mana is a great item for Blitzcrank.

Zoobi 09-04-2009 08:55 AM

I like having Frozen Mallet for the extra physical damage(60 on power fist!) as well as the health buffer. The snare is a plus of course, I find as long as I keep on top of golem mana isn't an issue. Blitzcrank really is a dps, tank, and disabler all rolled into one.

Dracius 09-04-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobi (Hozzászólás 93318)
I like having Frozen Mallet for the extra physical damage(60 on power fist!) as well as the health buffer. The snare is a plus of course, I find as long as I keep on top of golem mana isn't an issue. Blitzcrank really is a dps, tank, and disabler all rolled into one.

There are a lot of different ways to go with Blitz, but why do you say that the Frozen Mallet is 60 extra damage?

The item gives +20 dmg, and powerfist doubles your damage. How does 20x2=60?

Zoobi 09-04-2009 09:21 AM

Sheen.

Dracius 09-04-2009 09:27 AM

Ah, I thought you were just refering to the item by itself.
If you're going to look at it from that perspective, Bloodthirster gives +300 instead of +60 for the same cost. ;)

Also, 20 doubled, and then doubled again (20 to the power of 3) is 80. Are you sure it's calculating the bonus's independantly?

Sheen is +100% base damage, and powerfist is double damage. I'm going to do some testing tonight and see how it's calculating. (Basicaly I'm gonna punch a lot of **** and write stuff down)

Zoobi 09-04-2009 09:43 AM

It calculates from base damage. So it doubles the base damage twice. I've tested it, my normal hits will be for 118 but when I activate fist with sheen they will be 350ish. Easy to test. Frozen mallet gives more survivability and chase ability which is something Blitz lacks due to slow base movement. I don't like relying on overdrive for chasing because of the slowdown effect, one cc and you won't catch them.

Dracius 09-04-2009 01:07 PM

Good guide none the less.

You should include what the goal of your item/skill build is however. Looks like you're going for damage/support for holding people in place. It's good to be clear what role you intend for the champion to fill when your guide is followed.