League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What should we do with Flash? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=84234)

Zileas 03-31-2010 12:52 PM

What should we do with Flash?

Flash is very controversial. Some of you love it, some of you just use it because you have to, and some of you hate it. My feeling is that it gives everyone a 'get out of fail' card that reduces skill differentiation in the game, and makes good play rewarded less, and bad play punished less. To some extent, this is beneficial because you get less ROFLstomped, but overall, I think it mostly hurts the game. We've done a bunch of playtests internally without flash, and fights feel a lot more dynamic, and your bloodlust gets sated a lot more. The only downsides are that some characters have difficulty with chain snaring in team fights, especially melee characters that lack strong mobility.

However, all that being said, I know a lot of players are attached to it, so I'm posting here to collect opinions.

If we removed Flash, here's what we were thinking of doing:

1) Replace it with an item like DotA blink dagger, except with LoL flash functionality. Would be ~ 90 second cooldown, pretty expensive, not with many or any stats, etc.

2) Add a new summoner spell, "Summoner Dash" which for 3 seconds makes you immune to slows and increases your speed by 30-50%. We feel this may be necessary for some characters that depend on flash especially strongly to initiate, while still not being a 'get out of fail' card.

3) Modify cleanse to be 65% cc reduction after you use it for one second longer than currently. Late game cc stacking will likely be too powerful without something like this to counter heavy CC teams.

4) Remove the team heal aspect of heal, and make it significantly better for self healing.

NOTE -- if we did these, we'd try on the PTR first, and we'd try it live for 2 weeks to see if it works well. If it was poor, we'd roll it back.

I've included a poll so we can track opinions. Please also post comments!

Regards,
Zileas

Slightly updated approach we were discussing:

- Remove flash
- Add blink dagger item that is ~1250 cost of proc, 120 sec cd? This will pop projectiles and can be used at any time. Stand-alone item listed under movement on shop.
- New cleanse clears debuffs, and for 3 seconds after, immune to slows & roots, while stuns are turned into slows of the same duration at 35% slow. These stuns still interrupt spells though. No longer reduces CC durations -- except where immune.
- Add Summoner Dash +35% speed + immune to slowing effects for 3 sec.

All Best Rengar 03-31-2010 12:53 PM

First. And the most thumbs down. gg

andracen 03-31-2010 12:53 PM

I like the new cleanse idea. If flash is in item form it will again be mostly on twitchy characters in that dps tends to farm more effectively and tanks (who really need it) won't be able to get it. It will simply end up that DPS have flash and tanks are still struggling to keep up.

Could flash be changed instead to be a flash+strike like blink strike in DotA? Good for initiation and some limited escape but much tougher to flash over walls to escape bad situations. Great for melee.

Side note, Summoner Dash would make ghost pretty meh.

EmissaryShadow 03-31-2010 12:54 PM

Its aggravating, but since the lengthened cooldowns and the shortened range its no longer the "free card" it was when you could move halfway between lanes practically. Popping spells is annoying, auto attacks and towers is fine but dodging nukes is a bit aggravating.

I'll probably vote 2 when the poll is up.

Montford 03-31-2010 12:54 PM

Now that the game seems to be fixed....

Ill say either get rid of it and make a new summoner spell,

the dash idea sounds pretty cool, but almost like ghost...

maybe like a stun type spell or something.

Faro 03-31-2010 12:54 PM

Flash right now helps Alistar and Warwick. Everyone else uses it as an escape to cover up bad positioning/play, as a way to do damage despite being perma-snared or...no that's pretty much. It's either to compensate for being bad or to compensate for being melee.

I like the idea of Dash and think that would cover up most of the problems without making it so ranged can continue covering up poor play by taking Flash. Remove it and replace it with Dash. You could probably make it so it ignores pathing so people don't feel forced to take Dash/Ghost if they play melee.

Counting Stars 03-31-2010 12:55 PM

Get rid of it.

Blink dagger maybe, I like the Summoner Dash idea.

03-31-2010 12:55 PM

Why isnt heal team-heal? Maybe make it stronger for self healing- and the extra aspect for the mastery point means it heals team, too.

Kaoculus 03-31-2010 12:56 PM

#1 in the form of a summoner skill

RoccoSacco 03-31-2010 12:56 PM

There is nothing wrong with flash as is.

There is nothing OP about getting away and it only lets you get away in some cases.

I got it take out flash and replace it with the Gank skill that kills who ever you cast it on but only "You" can select it.

I have only ever see one reason why people want flash removed and that's so it can't be used to get out of a gank. So really we want to make this game have less options so ganking is easier well that's just sad.

When flash i gone you will all miss it even though most of you wont know it. The game will be a little more bland and less exciting and you wont know why. Sometime missing a kill makes you enjoy getting one all that much more.