League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Orianna, the Lady of Clockwork (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=835819)

checksmix 06-12-2011 11:47 PM

Orianna, the Lady of Clockwork

UPDATED FOR CURRENT LIST AS OF 11/22/2011 FOR SUPPORT

Hello i am Checksmix and this is my guide on how to play Orianna as a support

First off her abilites

Clockwork Windup (Passive): Orianna’s autoattacks deal additional magic damage every hit, subsequent attacks on the same target within a few seconds will add more damage per hit. This bonus stacks up to three times.
In early game really strong for harrassing. Beat's the hell out of soraka's starcall and is very effective in chasing people out of lane.

Attack: Orianna commands her ball to fly towards target location, dealing damage to targets hit but doing reduced damage for each additional target hit. Her ball remains behind at that location afterwards.
Basic damage spell, use this for damage in beging of the game, and start using it for positioning latter and damage/positioning in late game.

Dissonance: Orianna commands her ball to emit a magnetic pulse, dealing damage to units around it. Afterwards, the ball leaves a field behind for a few seconds that speeds up allies and slows enemies.
An amazing slow and speed up. Stop's people from running, does amazing damage, and can get you and your team out of a fight while slowing the enemy

Protect
(Passive): The allied champion the ball is attached to gains bonus Armor and Magic Resistance.
(Active): Orianna commands her ball to fly to and attach onto an allied champion, dealing damage to enemies it passes through and shielding the allied champion when it arrives.
Support Ori's bread and butter. Use it on the carrys to give em some extra surv and a GREAT shield. Remember it damages as it moves, and has a travel time.

Shockwave: Orianna commands her ball to emit a shockwave after a short delay, flinging affected enemies in the vicinity into the air a set distance towards, and possibly over, her ball.
Can be used defensively, offensively, or to interrupt long spell casts. Get a feel for how far they are thrown and remember it, as you can use it to toss behind you or bring someone close for the kill.

Summoner Spells:
With the recent changes most summoners spells work fine. Flash/CV is good, ghost is good, heal is fine. Nothing is bad anymore really.

Masteries:
Full balance.
1/1 Summoners insight 3/3 Good hands
4/4 swiftness (3/4 and 1/1 in scout is arguable)
4/4 Greed 1/1 Runic Affinity (better than scout imo, for baron buff and for when you do get a blue)
4/4 awareness
3/3 Intellect
1/1 master mind
Offensive
4/4 Mental Force
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Arcanic Knowledge

Runes:
I use movement speed quints
Magic Pen Mark's
MP/5 seals
and AP/level Glyph's (or CDR)

Spell Priority:
R>E>W>Q
Start with E. Take Q second, Than at level 3 take W. Follow the above priority after that.

Item build:
Start with how ever you feel comfortable.
Get atleast 2 GP5 items and boots of lucidity before you start your build. Start with RCS. The additonal slowing is amazing and helps the supporting.
Get Deathcap after that
Than get lichbane for mana and increased speed.
Than go either tanky or AP. Aura's are good, but you will NEED AP for her to be effective. Really you should not get past Deathcap since you will be buying TONS of wards.

Poking:
Poke a lot, use and abuse your passive. Lead with your passive and save w for when they try and move off the ball, it will give you and the AD carry more auto attacks.

Combat:Lead with your Q-W combo, keep E on CD at all times to help reduce damage to teammates and yourself. Use R when you will be able to nuke either their squishes, prevent/capture someone running, or interrupt an ult (IE Karthas' or Nunu's). Remember to flash out of being targeted and to use lichbane/passive to their extend. Together they make your auto attack hit MORE than your Q sometimes.

Over View:
Orianna EXCELS at combat control and damage reduction, she's basically a 2nd Janna.

Any comments or suggestions? Anything i left out?

YcKat 06-13-2011 12:40 AM

I suggest a Morello's in most Orianna's Builds like this one. Personally I dont play her much but when I do I play her more supportish. AA is a must imo too.

Nice Build +1

Redenbacher 06-13-2011 02:58 AM

Short and sweet guide - my one comment is directed at your skill leveling order.

Every time I try maxing Q over W, my early-game effectiveness is abysmal. Q doesn't do much for base damage at any point, and doesn't do any significant damage until you have some 150-200 AP under your belt.

W on the other hand does good damage at all stages of the game, it's utility is unmatched by many other spells in the game, and is clutch in a gank, in poking, and in escaping ganks. The slow/speed boost scales with levels, the damage on it is high and can one-shot caster minions at level 3. My personal favorite use of it is throwing out the ball with Q to hit my enemy with W, then while they are slowed, being able to get 2-3 auto-attacks in for her passive.

E is her third most powerful spell, next to her ultimate of course. The shield, I feel you underplayed in this guide. Yes, it's much for ball placement - but it's a fairly large shield, and can easily turn ganks in your favor if things go sour. It's just enough to absorb that finishing blow on an ally, letting your team turn around and mash them in to the ground. As a result, I like to max this 2nd, or in tandem with Q, depending on the game.

It may just be playstyle differences - but I haven't been able to make a Q first build work. W first on the other hand, does amazing things early, mid, and late game. Once you hit 6, for example, a Q, R, W combo will completely ruin someone's day when you have 3 points in W.

Hammock 06-13-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redenbacher (Hozzászólás 9883494)
Short and sweet guide - my one comment is directed at your skill leveling order.

Every time I try maxing Q over W, my early-game effectiveness is abysmal. Q doesn't do much for base damage at any point, and doesn't do any significant damage until you have some 150-200 AP under your belt.

W on the other hand does good damage at all stages of the game, it's utility is unmatched by many other spells in the game, and is clutch in a gank, in poking, and in escaping ganks. The slow/speed boost scales with levels, the damage on it is high and can one-shot caster minions at level 3. My personal favorite use of it is throwing out the ball with Q to hit my enemy with W, then while they are slowed, being able to get 2-3 auto-attacks in for her passive.

Q takes far less mana than W. You can sustain yourself far longer (especially when soloing) with Q than with W. The trick with Q if you're looking for damage on a champ is to not let it pass through any minions first, It does way less damage that way. So you send the ball to the back of the minons where the champ likes to sit, that way he's taking full damage from it, and you can repeatedly keep pinging him over and over.

So if you're looking for a longer farming period, Q is definately the way to go.

Redenbacher 06-13-2011 12:13 PM

Depending on what your build is. I run flash and Clarity, I already have a Ghost built in to W, and I rush Catalyst, with mana regeneration seals and Meditate. I can sustain myself just as long with a W max, as someone else with a less mana-intensive build maxing Q first.

I find that no matter what build or skill order I use, I can use Clarity on nearly every cooldown throughout the entire game. I've tried running without clarity on Tear + RoA builds, maxing Q first, and still find myself running out of mana - just in standard poking, shielding, and well... doing her job. I don't mind taking Clarity at all, even though it's generally looked down on.

W is just a far more useful spell earlier than Q is for the way I play.

Saying, "Just don't let it hit minions first," basically says, "don't bother harassing during the laning phase." Anyone with half a brain against Orianna is going to make a conscious effort to keep the minions between you and them.

checksmix 06-14-2011 09:22 PM

As mentioned by someone else Q is more mana efficent, and has a lower CD. All in all this a guide to newer players to the champ and this is simply how i play. i have tried the W over Q and i didn't like it.

2pudge1cup 08-03-2011 07:52 AM

Very solid guide a lot of things are covered nicely.

Still I think your runes and items neglect the early cdr. I have no problem maxing q early as long as you also have cdr as well. The reasoning is because smart enemies will bait your ball out then attack you as soon as you've committed. Every milisecond of being able to move the ball to a more favorable spot can mean the difference between life and death.

I play her kinda weirdly though, I go for a 3/3/3 qwe hybrid build at 10ish simply because it gives the most utility given manacosts. I'm not dissing anyone's method that's just what I've found most effective to support, damage, etc.