League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Rumble - The Tiny Yordle Midget of Doom (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=716034)

Ategenos 05-04-2011 12:07 AM

[Guide] Rumble - The Tiny Yordle Midget of Doom

Welcome to Ategenos’ guide to Rumble - The Tiny Yordle Midget of Doom. This is my first guide, so feel free to flame, cry noob and otherwise degrade where you can. But in all seriousness, I hope this helps some people understand how Rumble works. He is a powerful champion when used correctly and a total flop if you can't. So, let's get started.

I. Skills

[Innate] Junkyard Titan

Rumble's basic abilities generate 20 heat. When Rumble reaches 50 heat, he is in the "Danger Zone", causing all his basic abilities to have enhanced effects. When Rumble reaches 100 heat he overheats, silencing himself for 6 seconds to cooldown completely and causing his basic attacks to deal an additional 20 + (5 x level) + (0.35 per ability power) magic damage for the duration. While not overheated, after 4 seconds of not using his basic abilities he will start losing heat at a rate of 5 every half second, and 2.5 seconds later at a rate of 10 every half second.

One of the largest aspects of Rumble is learning how to manage your heat correctly. Generally, you want to try to keep your heat around 50-70 so that you can get the extra benefits of being in the Danger Zone. However, you have to make sure that you don’t get too excited if you are going for a gank or running away from one and end up overheating yourself unintentionally. There are times when overheating is the way to go, but generally it’ll get you killed because you lose the ability to use scrap shield if you are trying to get away. The only time I tend to purposefully overheat is when my abilites are on cooldown, then enemy is running away to a turret and I have almost got my target dead, or when I’m killing creeps in the jungle.

[Q] Flamespitter - 5 second cooldown.

(Active): Rumble begins torching the area in front of him with his flamethrower dealing damage to all units (deals half damage to minions) in a cone in front of him for 3 seconds. He can move, attack and use other abilities while the flamethrower is on.

While in the "Danger Zone", this spell deals 30% additional damage.

Magic Damage: 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 per second (+0.5 per ability power)

This ability is your bread and butter. It doesn’t do much at first, but don’t be discouraged by that because this ability can massacre by mid game. Coupled with Rylai’s Crystal Scepter, you get a very spammable AoE slow.

[W] Scrap Shield - 6 second cooldown.

(Active): Rumble creates a shield blocking incoming damage for 2 seconds, in addition Rumble receives a movement speed boost for 1 second.

While in the "Danger Zone", the shield’s strength and movement speed boost are increased by 30%.

Shield Strength: 50 / 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 (+0.4 per ability power)

Movement Speed: 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30%

This is your chase/runaway/absorb initial engagement/block karthus’ ultimate ability. With just a 6 second cooldown, once you get some ability power, this ability does A LOT to extend your life pool. It also allows you to get around the map faster and to chase/run away with greater ease.

[E] Electo-harpoon – 10 second cooldown

(Active): Rumble shoots a taser that deals magic damage and applies a slow on the enemy hit for three seconds. A second shot can be fired for no additional cost within the next three seconds. The slows from these two tasers can stack with themselves and the duration will be refreshed with the second hit.

While in the "Danger Zone", the damage and slow percentage are increased by 30%.

Magic Damage: 55 / 85 / 115 / 145 / 175 (+0.5 per ability power)

Slow: 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35%

This ability is great as a ranged harass, and once you get Rylai’s, makes your target run ridiculously slow. You can also use this to last hit minions in hostile lanes where you are 2v1 or getting pushed hard. It can also be used to slow a chaser if you are trying to get away or to save an ally who is being chased.

[R] The Equalizer – Cooldown 90/75/60 seconds

(Active): Rumble calls down a line of rockets over the target linear location, using a click and drag targeting. The rockets deal initial magic damage to all enemies hit on arrival, and also leave a trail of destruction for 5 seconds that slows by 35% and deals magic damage to all enemies standing on the area.

Initial Magic Damage: 150 / 225 / 300 (+0.5 per ability power)

Area Magic Damage: 120 / 160 / 200 (+0.25 per ability power) per second

This is, in my opinion, is the ability that separates the bad Rumbles from the good ones. The placement if your ult can be game changing if you do it correctly. I have gotten several quadra multi kills and a penta due to ultimate placement. Here are some example of good ult placement.

● An ally is being chased through the jungle, drop it along their run path to save your ally and potentially jump in for the kill with flamespitter.

● Perpendicular to your enemies run path if they are trying to get away from a team fight. They either have to run around it, or eat a slow and damage, either way they usually die.

● If an enemy is trying to run away in top or bottom lane through the bushes, drop it along their run path in there. They have to choose to eat the slow and damage or pop out of the bushes.

● If they are running along a wall you and some allies are chasing, you can drop it so they have to run the length of the wall through your ult or they have to turn towards you.

● Cutting off a squishy or carry from their tank or other support.

Here are a couple of bad ones:

● Dropping it so that the best choice for your enemy to get out of your ult makes them move farther away from you and your allies.

● Dropping it on a tank that is at full hp and trying to kill them solo. Congratulations, you just wasted your ult.

In my experience, once you get some AP under your belt, dropping this on a squishy and rushing in with flamespitter will get you a kill more often than not.

The other side of the coin is, that Rumble loses a lot of his threat factor and utility when his ult is on cooldown. You can usually do a lot of damage to an enemy, but sometimes it’s a lot more difficult to score the kill without your ult. This is all my opinion of course.

II. Runes

For runes there are a few options you can take, generally, I use the following:

Red Marks; Flat Magic Penetration

Yellow Seals; Flat Armor

Blue Glyphs; Flat Magic Resist

Quintessences: Movement Speed

I choose these because it fits my play style and gives you a little extra damage, more laning power and better map control.

Other options could include Dodge Seals, HP/5 Seals, Flat Cooldown Reduction Glyphs or AP Glyphs. Other Quintessences could be Flat HP, HP/5 or Flat AP.

III. Masteries

I go with a 9/21/0 build with Rumble. I find that most of the utility tree is wasted on Rumble, as you have no mana. By going with the defensive tree, you gain a lot of survivability and the nine points in offensive help with your damage a little. If you aren't level thirty yet, I would fill out what you can in the defensive tree first.

IV. Summoner Spells

On Rumble, summoner spells are, for the most part, based on your play style. I generally use Teleport and Ignite because I like map control and being able to finish off my opponent.

Other good choices would be Ghost, Flash or Exhaust.

V. Item Build

For items, I always start off with Boots and three health potions. The extra mobility helps out early for running in and out with flamespitter and to avoid ganks.

On my first trip back I try to have enough gold to upgrade Boots into Merc Treds and pick up an Amplified Tome. I then rush to get Rylai's Crystal Scepter finished.

The third item will depend solely on how your current game is progressing.

● If you are doing really well and want to put out more damage, I build a Rabadon's Deathcap.

● If the other team is ahead of you or keeping up and lean towards the AP side, I build a Abyssal Scepter.

● If the other team is ahead of you or keeping up and lean towards the AD side, I build a Zhonya's Hourglass.

Fourth and fifth items are then whichever of the other two you did not choose, in which ever order you feel is best for that game.

If the game lasts long enough for a sixth item you can pick up Banshee's Veil, Guardian Angel, Will of the Ancients or Guinsoo's Rageblade.

VI. Game Play

Skill Leveling Order

1. Flamespitter (1)
2. Scrap Shield (1)
3. Flamespitter (2)
4. Electro-harpoon (1)
5. Flamespitter (3)
6. The Equalizer (1)
7. Flamespitter (4)
8. Scrap Shield (2)
9. Flamespitter (5)
10. Scrap Shield (3)
11. The Equalizer (2)
12. Scrap Shield (4)
13. Scrap Shield (5)
14. Elecro-harpoon (2)
15. Elecro-harpoon (3)
16. The Equalizer (3)
17. Elecro-harpoon (4)
18. Elecro-harpoon (5)

Early Game

I rarely, if ever, mid with Rumble. I feel he is much more effective on a side lane. Grab your Boots and Health Potions and head to a side lane. If you can get we someone ranged who can harass a little, that will really help your ability to farm minions. Try to not spam Flamespitter. Yeah, it's cool that you can, but you push the lane way too fast and usually end up not last hitting many minions. Harrass with Flamespitter and Elecro-harpoon by bobbing in and out with Scrap Shield. Try to not overheat. If you overextend, it can get you killed. Once you hit 6, try to set up a kill with your lane partner. If there is a squishy laning against you, they should go down pretty easy.

If you have a jungler and you are the one that has the 2v1 lane, then just play it safe by the turret and try to not push out too far by spamming skills. Once you hit 6, you can generally net a kill pretty easy if there is a squishy. The theme here is, your ult is incredibly powerful if used right (See skill section under The Equalizer for further details).

After I hit 6, there are times that I will let my laning partner hold the lane while I go assist mid or bottom with a gank. A 3v2 with your ult will almost always net a kill and turn the tide in that lane. If my lane partner is in trouble, I just teleport up, otherwise I will help push the lane I ganked in.

Play smart and you should get an early advantage.

Mid Game

By the time the laning phase is over, you should already be a feared roaming death machine that might drop huge bombs on your opponents at any moment. You should have Merc Treds, Rylai's and part or all of your third item by this point.

Just keep doing what you do best - pushing lanes and scaring your opponents. If you are lucky, you can get three or four of them to chase you allowing your allies to push a lane and take down a tower. If you see an opportunity, teleport to a side lane to push a tower while your opponents are occupied elsewhere.

Late Game

Depending on how well you've done, you should have at least part or all of your fourth item completed and working on your fifth. Here is where Rumble can really turn the tide in a team fight. Try to attack from the side or behind, rather than the front. With the given setup here, you should be sporting 100+ Magic Resist and Armor and a massive 500+ Ability Power. Coupled with your Scrap Shield, AoE Slows, and Devastating Ultimate, teams should melt with you coming out smelling like a rose. Try to attack from the side or behind, rather than the front.

Pushing lanes is child's play at this point with the amount of damage you do with Flamespitter.

Your main goal is to always be close enough to be involved in any team fight. Your team will be relying on you to go blazing in and blow things up. Don't let them down.

VII. Questions

Q. Why do you think this build is good?

A. Well, simply put, I've played it dozens of times, and nine times out of ten, I end up with a positive K/D ratio and I have won more games than I have lost, even when I have a sub par team. You end up with superb Magic Resist and Armor with a deadly amount of Ability Power.

Q. What do I do if I have a bad start?
A. Don't fret. Just farm minions as you can and get yourself back in the game. I've had a few games where I have started out 1/5 and ended up 15/8ish. Rumble is an amazing champion that has the ability to get right back into the game with some good decisions.

Q. Why don't you build any spell vamp?

A. I don't feel it is necessary if you play Rumble correctly. And quite honestly, the amount you vamp isn't all that good at the start of the game anyway. I have tried it a few times and came to the conclusion that it's just not worth what you would lose by skipping out on the other items.

VIII. Conclusion

Thanks for taking the time to read. Feel free to post questions or comments and I will do my best to respond. Happy Rumbling!

HMS BUTTPEE 05-04-2011 10:41 AM

The next time someone appends "of doom" to something I'm setting them on fire.

Ategenos 05-04-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyyyyyy (Hozzászólás 8521712)
The next time someone appends "of doom" to something I'm setting them on fire.

The good news is, you can use Rumble to set them on fire! =P