League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Brand - Flame on! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=670430)

Ventus72 04-16-2011 11:49 PM

Brand - Flame on!

Brand – Flame On!
This is a specific guide on Brand, the Burning Vengeance .

Brand is the type of champion that is MADE to sit back and nuke. He can carry teams if used properly. All of Brand's area of effect has large range, unlike Kennen or Fiddlesticks, you need not to get in the middle of everyone. Brand honestly is not that hard to play, you just need common sense and you will be a great asset to the team.

Table of Contents:
Brief Description
Abilities
Summoner Spells
Masteries
Runes
Brand and Laning
Item Build
Brand and Teamfights

Brief Description: Brand is an Area of Effect ranged caster who’s attacks all associate with fire. He has great nuking abilities and chains up his abilities to maximize damage from his spells. Yes, Brand is VERY strong, but so is Vladimir and he can pool.

[Abilities]

Passive: Brand’s spells light his target ablaze, dealing 2% of their maximum health in magic damage per second for 4 seconds.
-So, you’ll basically be doing 8% of their max health from landing one spell. However, due to magic resistance, it won’t be a total of 8%, since it is not true damage. Also note, that using another skill refreshes the effect. The unique thing about this passive is it scales with magic penetration, not ability power

Q – Sear Cost: 50 mana
Brand launches a fire ball dealing 80/120/160/200/240 (+0.65)magic damage.
If the target is ablaze, Sear will stun the target for 2 seconds.
-Classic nuke/stun. However, due to the fact it is a skillshot, it’s avoidable.

W – Pillar of Flames Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 mana
After a short delay, Brand creates a pillar of flames at a targeted area, dealing 80/125/170/215/260 (+0.6) magic damage to all enemy units within the area.
Units ablaze take an extra 25% damage from Pillar of Flame.
- My favorite of Brand’s abilities. It’s great area of effect is great for farming, team fights, and harassing during the laning period.

E – Conflagration Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 mana
Brand conjures a target with a powerful blast dealing 70/105/140/175/210 (+0.55)magic damage to them.
If the target is ablaze, Conflagration spreads to enemies within a certain range of the original target.
-Not necessarily Brand’s best skill, but I’ll talk about it more later and how to REALLY use it.

R – Pyroclasm Cost: 100/150/200
Brand unleashes a devastating torrent of fire, dealing 150/250/350 (+0.5)magic damage to each enemy target it bounces off of.
If the target is ablaze the pyroclasm’s missile speed increase.
-It’s much like fiddle’s crow silence, except it moves A LOT slower and there is no CC to it. The ability CAN bounce off of the same target more than once, and also bounces off minions.

Over the course of the game, your skill build should look similar to this:

(1.)W
(2.)Q if you need the stun/E if your just about harassing
(3.)The Q/E you didn’t take at level 2
(4.)W
(5.)E
(6.)R
(7.)Q
(8.)W
(9.)W
(10.)E
(11.)R
(12.)W
(13.)Q
(14.)Q
(15.)Q
(16.)R
(17.)E
(18.)E

R > W > E > Q

Level 1 - 6

W > Q > E > W > E > R OR W > E > Q > E > R

Maxing Pillar of Flame first because it is Brand’s strongest spell in terms of team fights, area of effect, and just harassing. However, I also like to keep Q and E leveled so those can also to reliable amounts of damage. I don’t max E first because it’s best use is mainly to ablaze the enemy(s). I also prefer to max Q before E so the Cooldown decreases, and allows for good stunning.

[Summoned Spells]

Your options are between Ghost, Flash, ignite, and exhaust. Pick two.
You of course need either ghost or flash to get away, because your not a Rammus or LeBlanc, you can't rely on your skills to make a clean escape.

[Masteries]

A standard 9/0/21 for casters.

(Offensive)
3/3 Archmage’s Savvy
1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

(Utility)
3/3 Perseverance
1/1 Haste or 1/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/4 Expanded Mind
3/3 Meditation
2/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Presence of the Master

[Runes]
Marks - Magic Pent.
Seals – Mana regen /5 sec per level
Glyphs – Ability Power
Quints. – Ability Power / HP / Magic Pent.

[Brand and Laning]

“Brand is only good mid!”
“Brand can’t 2 v 2”
*Pulls off glove and slaps*

Brand is a GREAT when it comes to laning in general. His harassing will keep people hugging, and when they do hug he’ll harass some more!

You start off with your W and try to play on the defensive side until you level up a bit. All you have is your Pillar of Flame, and if you miss it your basically vulnerable to giving firstblood right at the start. Use it to go for some minions and farm some gold, while attempting to hit enemy champions in the process. Whether you land a hit or miss miserably, run and go back. At around level two, you have a decision. Against a really aggressive enemy, I’d go for the Q so you can stun them and attempt to flee. If you’re up against other defensive type enemies, go for E for harassment and farm.
For types of harassment, you can rely on your E and W, not so much your Q though. Your Q isn’t a ‘fast as lighting’ skillshot like Corki’s or Ezreal’s.

“A good tip against versing a Brand is staying behind your minions”

That isn't exactly true. Of course, it does protect them from your Q, but leaves them very vulnerable to your other skills. You have two options. Your first one is to open up with pillar of flame around the caster minions, whether they are by them or not. Feeling safe, they will move close to their minions, and that is when you . Not them, the minions. It will travel to them, because you just walking up to them, they will run away. Your other option – If you can actually get this to happen - Would be to Q a caster minion, and then repeat the step where you E them so it travels to them, and then finish with a nice pillar. Pillar does an additional 25% damage, and now they are scared.

[Item Build]

Start off with Dorans Ring
1.Rod of the Ages or Archangels
2.Sorcerers Shoes
3.Deathcap
4.Rylais Crystal Scepter
5.Zhonya’s Hourglass/

6 is any needed item you feel you need. I'd recommend molero's evil tome or Will of the ancients.

If you choose to rush a Deathcap, you will be doing good amounts of damage. You will no, however, but as sustainable. Am I aruging against rushing deathcap? No, I am not. If this is the case though, I'd reccomend getting Rylais Crystal Scepter after it, then continuing your build. In fact, you won't really need ROA if you go like this, unless you would like some more hp.

[Team Fights]

The whole point of brand in team fights is to provide Area of Effect. The quote:

“Brand is too strong!”

Uuuhh….. No. 3/4 of his abilities can be dodged. His Q is a skillshot, His W has a short delay, and his ultimate can be avoided if your spread out. So how do you find yourself useful in team fights? The provided slow from rylais, and all of your team’s CC should be more than enough to always hit.

Attack combinations. I’ve been asked, “What is the best skill to open up in in huge team fights?” You could open up with your W, but then you’ll have to keep them ablazed to get the max use out of it again. You can open up with your E, but that only put’s one target ablaze. You could go for your Q, then E than W, but then you have no stun. So what is the best combination? In real team fights, open up with your ultimate, and it will bounce off of the enemy champions ablazing them. You can then get the max use out of all of your skills. You can E to ablaze any enemies that maybe weren’t ablazed by your ultimate. You should then Q to stun and W to put out your maximum amount of damage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of Guide

Destabilizator 04-17-2011 03:26 AM

Not good item build. Until you get Morello's tome, you'll spend most of the time waiting for CDs. Also no pots, counting your pathetic HP at start... huh.
Much better build is Catalyst - shoes - morello's - BV - void/rabadon - zhonyas. If you feel safe in lane, you can even surpass catalyst and go straight for tome, but I find myself too squishy :S
Rylai's isn't good on Brand from my experience.

rEv3 04-17-2011 06:56 AM

not good skill build. sear is always first. if you find ppl are avoiding it easily.. l2p.

at fb, sear will hit where pillar wont.. that plus brand's passive will give them enough dmg to think twice about trying hard for the kill (also the cooldown on it should let you get 2 off where you can only expect to use one pillar)

the extra mana stored from using sear instead of pillar when you get to level 2 will let you zone them

i didn't bother reading anything else

Weltallgaia 04-17-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rEv3 (Hozzászólás 8004339)
not good skill build. sear is always first. if you find ppl are avoiding it easily.. l2p.

at fb, sear will hit where pillar wont.. that plus brand's passive will give them enough dmg to think twice about trying hard for the kill (also the cooldown on it should let you get 2 off where you can only expect to use one pillar)

the extra mana stored from using sear instead of pillar when you get to level 2 will let you zone them

i didn't bother reading anything else

Thing is a good player with boots will never get hit by sear. I do like leveling it but at the same time if they are twitchy or dodgy or just have good enough range they will always dodge it. It is awesome against melee though because they literally run into it anytime they want to push you back at all.

stevesteve 04-17-2011 04:07 PM

I dont think that I am an amazing brand but I have yet to see a guide beyond the champion spotlight that wasnt terrible.

VIPx 04-17-2011 10:58 PM

LOL @ Sear first :P

Most good guys (I've played 9 with Brand and won them all) get E maxed first, then W, then Q...

You still get the stun at low levels lol.

As far as items... Not bad. I don't think he needs Morello's because I always just get Blue Buff.

I go Sapph + pots>Catalyst>Sorc Shoes>Deathcap>Finish BV>Rylais>Void Staff>Hourglass

I adjust a bit depending on the game but that's the build I aim for. Works really well.

Oh, and also LOL to whoever said he didn't like Rylais on Brand. His passive procs it for 3 seconds longer because it's DoT. Not as big a slow but it's amazing on him.

Ventus72 04-19-2011 10:06 PM

Well thanks for the feedback, even the bad.

Phylix 04-19-2011 10:35 PM

been playing brand at least 2 games a day now, and i agree on the skill build, but not the item build. Whoever said max q first, you might just be mad you cant hit the w on them. Not only that, but maxing W first and getting E to 2 allows you to farm entire minion waves in one go. In regards to the item build though, I disagree. Its a little bit slower beginning game (nothing drastically so) but I start with mana xtal and 2 hp pots. Stay in lane till I have the gold for tear and boots 1. Finish mpen boots, then work on rylais immediately. From there I build DFG and finish archangels. Normally game is over by the time I finish archangels just because if you start with DFG then unload your skills onto any champ (minus tanks) they're dead. I don't care who you throw at me, I have yet to fail at this. The only games I've lost on Brand are in house custom 5v5's with friends that are all 1500-1800 ELO

Martox 04-21-2011 02:07 AM

This is a really good guide. I read all of it, thanks for the effort to help us Brand noobies.

Ventus72 04-21-2011 03:31 PM

People not agreeing with build :\
Updated