League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sweet Dreams: A Nocturne Guide (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=627895)

DSpyder 04-02-2011 07:18 PM

Sweet Dreams: A Nocturne Guide

"Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree"

the Eurythmics - Sweet Dreems

Stats:

Damage 54 (+3.1 / per level)
Health 440 (+85 / per level)
Mana 215 (+35 / per level)
Move Speed 320
Armor 17 (+3.5 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+1.25 / per level)
Health Regen 1.4 (+0.15 / per level)
Mana Regen 1.2 (+0.09 / per level)

Abilities:

"This is no terror ground
or place for the rage
No broken hearts
White wash lies
Just a taste for the truth
Perfect taste choice and meaning
A look into your eyes"

Peter Murphy - a Starnge Kind of Love.

(Q) Duskbringer

Nocturne throws a shadow blade which deals damage, leaves a Dusk Trail, and causes champions to leave a Dusk Trail. While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and has increased Movement Speed and Attack Damage.
Nocturne throws a shadow blade which deals 60/110/160/210/260 (+) physical damage and leaves a Dusk Trail for 5/5/5/5/5 seconds. Enemy champions hit also leave a Dusk Trail.

While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and gains 15/20/25/30/35% Movement Speed and 15/25/35/45/55 Attack Damage.
Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Range: 1200

(W) Shroud of Darkness

Nocturne empowers his blades, passively gaining attack speed. Activating Shroud of Darkness allows Nocturne fades into the shadows, creating a magical barrier which blocks a single enemy spell and doubles his passive attack speed if successful.
Passive: Nocturne has 20/25/30/35/40% bonus Attack Speed.

Active: Nocturne creates a magical barrier for 2 seconds, which blocks the next enemy ability.

If an ability is blocked by the shield, Nocturne's passive Attack Speed bonus doubles for 5 seconds.
Cost: 50/50/50/50/50 Mana
Range: 20

(E) Unspeakable Horror
Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing damage each second and fearing the target if they do not get out of range by the end of the duration.
Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing 50/100/150/200/250 (+1) magic damage over 2 seconds. If Nocturne stays within 550 range of the target for the full duration, the target becomes feared for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 second(s).

Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Range: 475

(R) Paranoia

Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision in the process. He can then launch himself at a nearby enemy champion.
Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision for 4 seconds.

While Paranoia is active, Nocturne can launch himself at an enemy champion, dealing 150/300/450 (+) physical damage.

Cost: 100/100/100 Mana
Range: (Lvl 6)2000/ (lvl11) 2750/ (lvl16)3500

Passive: Umbra Blades
Every 10 seconds, Nocturne's next attack strikes surrounding enemies for 120% physical damage and heals himself for 15/20/25 per target hit.

Nocturne's basic attacks reduce this cooldown by 1 second

Your Ability priority is going to change depending on whether you are jungling or laning.
I like to start with (Q) then take (E) followed by (W). After this I ignore (E) until I have maxed both (Q) and (W). I give priority to (R) and level (Q) and (W) evenly.

Runes:

Mark (Red): Desolation (1.67 Armor Peneration)
Seal (Yellow): Greater Seal of Resilience ( +1.41 armor),
Greater Seal of Evasion (0.75% dodge)
Glyph (Blue): Celerity (0.05 Cooldown Reduction per Level 0.9 at Lvl 18)
Quintessence (Purple): Desolation (3.32 Armor Peneration)

Armor Pen is good, very good for you, as your only Magic dmg attack is your (E).

Summoner Spells:

I use varying combinations of Ghost, Flash, Ignite and Exhaust. Having either Flash or Ghost is pretty critical on Nocturne. They allow you to initiate and escape with more regularity and certainty. One of either Exhaust or Ignite is also good. Just try and ensure that your team has both available.

Masteries

I run a 22/0/8 build which equates to:

Offense Tree:

3/3 Deadliness
1 Cripple
4/4 Alacrity
4/4 Sorcery
3/3 Sunder
3/3 Brute Force
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Havoc

Utility Tree:
1 Haste
3/3 Perseverence
4/4 Awarness

You can also run a 9/21/0 build going for a bit more survive ability but i prefer the basic Damage build.

Items:

["my world is unaffected
there is an exit here
I say it is then it's true
there is a dream inside a dream
I'm wide awake the more I sleep
you'll understand when I'm dead"

Marilyn Manson - the Reflecting God

As always, you have to be adpatable when it comes to item selection. You will not contribute to your team at times if you always get the same items time and time again. It's too easy to counter rigid item builds.
There are 4 stats on an offensive item I like to look for when I build Noc. Lifesteal, Attack Speed, Damage and Armor Penetration/Reduction. I try and build items that have at least 2 of these stats if not more. You are not a tank killer. Your primary purpose is Carry eating.

Here is a basic Build:
Black Clever (Attack Speed, Damage, Armor Reduction)

Mecrury's Treads (Boot selection is dependant on the other teams ability to CC you)

Starks Fervor (Lifesteal, Attack Speed, Armor Reduction)

Defensive Item (I like Banshee's Veil against Magic Dmg and either Randiun's Omen or Sunfire Cap for AD defense)

Youmuu's Ghostblade (Attack Damage, Armor Penetration, Cool Down Reduction, Attack Speed and Movement speed active)

Situation Item (Sometimes you need a second defensive item or you are facing Jax and need Sword of the Divine etc)

I start out with a Longsword that becomes a Brutalizer and hopefully boots on my first recall. From there I usually rush Black Cleaver (Starting with Dagger) and finish my Mercury's Treads. Once I have finished the above 2 items I finish off Youmuu's Ghostblade and pick up a Vampiric Scepter along the way. Now I either focus on Starks Fervor or build my first (and usually only) defensive item. My last item is always situational. If there's a Jax it's Sword of the Divine. If I need defense I build defense.

More and more I find that Banshee's Veil is very very good on Nocturne. Every 45 seconds you can eat 2 spells. Say you find Annie alone. Banshees eats her her first spell (and hopefully stun), spell shield eats her ult and your (E) fear kicks in and then she's dead. You need to be able to eat multiple CCs in a team fight even though you should not be diving in first. Not only the above but it increases your mana pool.

The 3 Phases

"On candystripe legs the spiderman comes
Softly through the shadow of the evening sun
Stealing past the windows of the blissfully dead
Looking for the victim shivering in bed
Searching out fear in the gathering gloom and
Suddenly!
A movement in the corner of the room!
And there is nothing I can do
When I realise with fright
That the spiderman is having me for dinner tonight!"

the Cure - Lullaby

While Nocturne is an excellent Jungler, his lane presense shouldn't be ignored. He can dominate a solo lane against most champions, especially early game. He is just as good paired with another champion on a lane.

Early Phase/Lane Phase (Levels 1-7)

Whether partnered or solo grab (Q), a Longsword, a Heal Potion and head to your lane. Remember if you have a partner to communicate with them and set up your ganks. You definately want to last hit and allow them to push you back towards your tower. Once you hit level 2 the fun begins. Using (Q) to hit your target (do what you can to fight in the middle of the minion wave) nail them with your boosted auto attack and (E) then follow to make sure the fear lands. This is usually enough to wipe someone out with your follow up auto attacks, especially if your laning with someone who can CC as well. If not it will push them back and you can continue to last hit and farm the lane.

Continue to harass in this manner and deny gold and all the exp you can. You do need to be wary of ganks from the jungle and other lanes. Always remember as well that you will almost always be focused so keep your hand close to (W). Your (W) is probably , hands down, your best ability. It allows escapes (Like eating Xin's (E)) and can allow you max dps up time on your target if you can learn to anticipate your enemy's use of abilites. You can shield all sorts of abilities with it. Teemo's Blind, Morde's Ult, etc. If you can master it's use in a match you will be a wrecking ball.

Middle Phase (levels 8-15)

The game changes at around levels 6-8. The enemy will no longer just farm a lane and now both team get together to form roving gank squads. Don't ever think that Miss Fortune running towards then away from you is not trying to lead you to your doom. Odds are she is trying to get you to follow her into a bush where the rest of her team is waiting. This is why wards are so good.

During this phase you want to roam and try and pick off all the other teams lonely Champs. Wards are critical to this and sometimes you may want to switch out an item just to pick up Wriggle's Lantern for this and killing jungle creeps. Ward every part of their jungle possible. You should be able to steal buffs and hurt their jungler a lot if you do this intellegently.
You also with the use of (Q) can take out turrets fairly quickly. This is why attack speed and CD Reduction are good on Nocturne. Roll up to the turret behind a minion wave (you've got most of their jungle warded so you'll know if they rush to stop you) (Q) and beat on turret. Max rank of (Q) gives you 60 Attack Damage. The CD reduction ensures that you have it up as much as possible.

Late Phase (Levels 16-18)

Most of your build should be complete by now. Remember killing towers, barracks and the Nexus is what wins the game. These should be your targets now. If you wipe out the other side don't port back immediately. Stay and kill a tower etc. Besides you can chew through towers with ease at this point.

Team fights happen with a lot more regularity now. You should be targeting the Carry towards the back. Ult in, (E) and probably (W) then (Q) and get out. If you have the health to return then target another Carry towards the back or one with low health and (Q), (E) and take them out. Tanks are for others to target or only after the other side has run or is dead.

Tips:

"Change my pitch up
smack my ***** up"

the Prodigy- Smack my ***** Up

Your Ultimate can be use to initiate and get away. If you find your self running for your life from a few champs, go the way you don't want to go then target the slowest champ (the one behind all the others), Ult them and run the other way (from the way you were leading them initially).

You can also use your (E) fear to interrupt any channeled Ultimate. You just have to time it right.

Timing is everything on Nocturne.

Learn to anticapate your enemy's abilities and use (W) to eat them. This works pretty much with any spell.

If you get the chance (E) someone in front of your turret.

Sometimes just hitting your Ult will make people run from a turret they are trying to take down. Like that back dooring Master Yi.

If you have Twisted Fate on your team have ult before you do for extra ganking fun. That way bushes don't ruin your gank and you'll know for sure if they are alone and out of range of help or not.

Your (Q) can also be used to as a speed boost to get away. Becareful though, you stop to cast it.

Countering Nocturne

"Now that the smokes gone,
and the air is all clear:
those who were right there
had a new kind of fear.
You'd fight and you were right -
but, they were just too strong.
They'd stick it in your face
and let you smell what they consider wrong."

Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot

Other then gank him into oblivion there is one item that can ruin Noc's day. Thornmail. This is because Nocturne is an Auto Attacker at heart. Also Exhaust, Stuns and Teemo's blind work wonders against him. You have to becareful of his (W) if you are running short on CC because a good Nocturne will anticapate your CC and use his Spell Shield (W) to eat it and then wreck his target with increased attack speed. This is why Thornmail is so good against him. To defend against it you need 3 things, Lifesteal, Magic Resistance and Armor Penetration. Usually that is 3 items to counter one. If you can get Thornmail early enough he will probably ignore you as much as possible unless you are at low life by yourself.

Also Rammus with Thornmail is Nocturne's nightmare.

Bait his (W) and then CC him and Kill him.

Also when Nocturne first Ults step into a bush. He can not rush to you if he can't see you.

Set him up. If you have help have them hide in a bush and CC him when he ults to you. Just make sure you are close enough to that bush that they can see when he gets there.

Wards. It is easy to avoid Nocturne if you know he is coming.

From Crimson Neko 13
"Another tip for countering Nocturne might be to save at least one defensive ability/stun for when Noct uses his ult."

** Updated with Patch v1.0.0.115 Info

DSpyder 04-02-2011 07:22 PM

Reserved

Warrrax 04-04-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

If you can master it's use in a match you be a wretching ball.
Hehe. He curls up and pukes on himself huh? Not quite what I was looking for. ;-)

Crimson Neko 13 04-04-2011 11:14 AM

Another tip for countering Nocturne might be to save at least one defensive ability/stun for when Noct uses his ult.

ZXPrototype 04-04-2011 11:57 AM

This felt more like a poetry recital than an actual guide. Albeit of both.

DSpyder 04-04-2011 05:55 PM

Thanks for catching my spelling mistake Warrax. It is now fixed.

ZXFLIP, your opnion is noted and I'll try and keep the quotes down to a couple if/when I do another guide.

Thanks for the tip Crimson Neko 13 I've added it to my tip section giving you credit for it.

Doowa 04-05-2011 12:08 AM

Nice guide, thou I feel this guide could be extended a bit IMO.. where's the jungle section? the elaboration on items when you jungle? more tips for the optimal gank? just a few ideas on how to make the guide even better ;)

so far, this is how I like to build nocturne. Usually I'll jungle him - I start with Vampire and see if I can steal enemy wraiths. Then proceed to kill own wolves, wraiths and golems. Blue pill and buy boots (if enemy is pushing hard) or cloth + pots and ward. Clear entire jungle and then gank or finish Razors and mercurys. Then I build Brut, GA or Banshees(depending), Mandreds and Bloodthirster, which often has been my end build.

- I like the early lifesteal, before ending the bigger items, so I can keep rooming and supporting my lanemates. I like Starks, but so far I've opted for the later and bigger BT, comments?
- Also many ppl build Wriggles.. I've not a big fan, I spent gold on wards with or without it. So I pick Mandreds instead, comments?
- And the pick between Sunfire and GA.. is the fight long enough to make Sunfire better then GA? you don't need it to farm, Nocturne farms like a beast already, comments?

just a few cents, to hopefully start a debate ;)

DSpyder 04-05-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doowa (Hozzászólás 7577309)
Nice guide, thou I feel this guide could be extended a bit IMO.. where's the jungle section? the elaboration on items when you jungle? more tips for the optimal gank? just a few ideas on how to make the guide even better ;)

so far, this is how I like to build nocturne. Usually I'll jungle him - I start with Vampire and see if I can steal enemy wraiths. Then proceed to kill own wolves, wraiths and golems. Blue pill and buy boots (if enemy is pushing hard) or cloth + pots and ward. Clear entire jungle and then gank or finish Razors and mercurys. Then I build Brut, GA or Banshees(depending), Mandreds and Bloodthirster, which often has been my end build.

- I like the early lifesteal, before ending the bigger items, so I can keep rooming and supporting my lanemates. I like Starks, but so far I've opted for the later and bigger BT, comments?
- Also many ppl build Wriggles.. I've not a big fan, I spent gold on wards with or without it. So I pick Mandreds instead, comments?
- And the pick between Sunfire and GA.. is the fight long enough to make Sunfire better then GA? you don't need it to farm, Nocturne farms like a beast already, comments?

just a few cents, to hopefully start a debate ;)

I didn't do a jungle section because there's already a guide that deals with on Nocturne. Thanks for tips.

As I get to play him more I'll be adding to the guide (also when any balancing is done to him).

On Wriggle's: You don't just buy it for the wards. It has Lifesteal, Armor, damage and it's passive. It also only costs 75 more gold then buying a Razor and a Vampiric scepter while giving a tad bit more lifesteal.

I like starks mostly because of the Armor Reduction. That with Black Cleaver often leaves Carries at 0 armor or if they get no armor item in the negative. It also has the team wide lifesteal and attack speed buff.

On sunfire:

It gives you health and armor which helps with you being squishy and it has the 40 dmg aoe which is mainly for extra damage on your target.

GA is fine as it gives you the rez, armor and mr but I find I almost always get Banshees so I don't need the mr and if I get killed It's normally likely I'm not going to get away. If it was prenerf I'd get it over sunfire as it is I don't generally need it when I'm doing good and it doesn't help when your doing bad.

Pigdestroyah 08-21-2011 03:42 AM

I understand why you've omitted the jungling section (JaMdrew's jungling nocturne guide and all) but as fair as the toss up goes, which do you think qualitatively is better?
Nocturnes lovely jungling speed allows him to keep on par with the rest of the players while racking up a hefty CS, and also allows another solo lane, as well as improved ganking potential. For those reasons alone ive never laned him. What would you say the advantages are to laning nocturne?