||08-21-2009 04:41 PM
(Tutorial) How to create your own skins
Uploaded an updated version of this tutorial as .pdf file.
Now with few tips about UV Mapper that aren´t covered here.
The .pdf will be further updated, the text on this page however will not.
Feel free to ask if you have some specific question or want something to be covered in the tutorial that is not.
Quick and dirty tutorial for people who are interested in a bit of modding.
In the current build of the beta there is an easy way to create your own skins for your champions. Yes, developers know about it and it probably won´t make it into the final game, so enjoy it while it lasts and show us your ideas which Riot can then develop into proper skins!
edit: I repeat: RIOT knows about this and it will get resolved one way or another. Some responses from the developer team to another skin: http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=5476. Please don´t discuss the "morals" or hypothetical scenarios in this thread, this is not its purpose. At least not before it´s clear that the tutorial works as is supposed to and is complete.
Your custom skin will be visible only to you, nobody else in the game will see it. It´s only a local modification.
Riot will be selling real skins that other players will see.
What I´m using:
(you can get the .dds plugin here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/p...s_plugins.html
(open source, it can open and save .dds files natively, get it here: http://www.getpaint.net/
(freeware app for quick texture overview, get it here: http://www.uvmapper.com/
(custom app by user renticletape
, get it here: http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...3&d=1251072626
(don´t use WinRar)
- On dropping the .sco file onto lol2obj some people experience an error message. If you have the same problem, make sure you have the latest DirectX, .NET framework and the latest service pack for your operation system installed. Sadly I don´t know what else to do regarding this. The creator of the app knows about it, but it´s unclear what causes it.
- If you have this problem, don´t use UVWrapper for the model viewing, but this custom made app by user muusbolla, get it here: http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=258&d=1248413257. However this app crashes for me for a change, so I can´t provide you with how to´s about it. Check out the original thread: http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ght=lol+viewer
- If NEITHER of these programs work for you just skip to point 12 and modify textures without seeing the model. You can still have fun doing this, especially if you only want to change colours.
All champion skins are stored in the HeroPak_client.zip
file, defaultly in C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\Game\.
- Create a backup of that file, if you screw up and don´t have a copy you will have to reinstall the game.
- Unzip the file and in the unzipped folder find the folder for the champion you are interested in, for example C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\Game\HeroPak_client\DATA\Characters\Jester for the Jester character.
- The files we are interested in are Jester.sco and Jester.dds. The first contains the model while the second one contains the texture for it.
- Open the folder where you have LoL2Obj and drag and drop the Jester.sco file onto the lol2obj.exe, this will create a new file called Jester.sco.obj in your Jester directory. This file is just a model in a easily understandable format that you can import into almost any 3d program.
- Open UvMapper and open the file Jester.sco.obj in it. Now you can see the basic model for the Jester character but without any texture.
- Open the Jester.dds file in Photoshop and save it as jester.jpg. (or bmp)
- Then go into your UvMapper window and go texture=>load (ctrl+b) and locate the Jester.jpg file. You now have both the model and the texture loaded and visible.
- In the right window you can turn, zoom or move the model around to help you with planning or checking for mistakes in your adjustments while in the left window you see what parts in the texture file correspond to what parts of the model (with a bit of imagination).
- Now in Photoshop just paint over the parts you want to modify in the jester.jpg file, save it whenever you want to see the results and load it again with ctrl+b in the UvMapper. (you have to load it manually, it doesnt auto-update)
- Once you´re finished save the Jester.jpg file you´re working on as Jester.dds (whatever bitmap editor you use you need to emulate the settings below, especially "generate MIP maps") and drag and drop it into it´s place in the HeroPak_client.zip file, replacing the original file with your new skin.
- *******http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=1266&stc=1&d=125093458 6********
- When you load up the game again the selected champion (all instances of him, meaning even if teammate or enemy uses him) should show the new skin.
First draft of a Joker skin (about 30 minutes of work, kind of pointless since Jester isn´t implemented yet, Ill finish it later):