League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Winning Every Game - A guide to Janna (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=493545)

Alyzar 02-04-2011 09:06 AM

[Guide] Winning Every Game - A guide to Janna

WARNING: Make sure you read the entire guide to learn my reasoning for doing the things that I do. Do not skip to the item build or you might not have success. Please do not try it once and then flame this thread or flame this thread whilst failing to try any of it at all. Good luck.

Click.

Billy Ruben 02-04-2011 09:08 AM

Swag build, Alyzar.

SNSDet 02-04-2011 09:27 AM

I just had a quick scan over it cuz I have to leave now , but the guide looks pretty solid. Gonna look forward to reading it when I get back :D

Alyzar 02-04-2011 10:30 AM

tank yew. :3

Pathard 02-04-2011 11:07 AM

Sweet guide! I'll have to try it when I eventually get Janna. :P

Alyzar 02-04-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathard (Hozzászólás 5950497)
Sweet guide! I'll have to try it when I eventually get Janna. :P

<3

Bumbah 02-04-2011 04:55 PM

I applaud your effort at making a guide for Janna. Your guide has some great points, like how versatile she is. And I agree with your spell descriptions and ranking priorities. However, AP Janna is not the way to go. I'm sorry if I caught you off guard, but is really isn't.

If you play Janna you will find she's the least item dependent champ in the game. Her strengths lie in HOW you use her spells, not how strong they are. Her best attacking spell is her plain old auto attack. Experienced Janna players know this. Think about it this way: Once you use, say, Howling gale...they get knocked up...then what? You are left to either shield yourself/teammate, use zephyr, or run away or..AA. Once you use Zephyr..then what? You are left with HG, shielding yourself, run away, or....AA. Shielding yourself increases your Damage...for what? AutoAttacking! The least common denominator is AA. Its beast! Many champs in this game have great spell combos. Janna doesn't. Her combos all involve AAing the target AFTER it's slowed, Knocked up, knocked back, etc. Use her beastly AA to your advantage. I've had many First bloods by shielding and auto attacking. Janna is SO strong pre lvl 6 its sick. Thats due to her Autoattack.

What I challenge you to do is try a build that involves attack speed. This can be via a Nashors Tooth, Phantom Dancer, or w/e. Focus on knocking them up via a quick Q and get a few AAs in, then back off. Take notice how much damage she really does. Shield yourself and AA some minions. The time it takes to kill a few is comparable to a fully charged HG, early game. Rank up zephyr, put the pressure on some opponents, and you'll see with their reduced speed combined with your increased attack speed and Movement speed you will really put a dent in them.

Feel free to downrank me. I don't really care. I like to think i've tried every Janna build there is, and the ones that have always shined have involved supporting my carry by CCing my opponents and helping out with good old fashioned Auto Atttacks. Your CC spells will be effective with AP or not. Thats the key to remember.

Alyzar 02-05-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbah (Hozzászólás 5957762)
I applaud your effort at making a guide for Janna. Your guide has some great points, like how versatile she is. And I agree with your spell descriptions and ranking priorities.

Thank you. :)

Quote:

If you play Janna you will find she's the least item dependent champ in the game. Her strengths lie in HOW you use her spells, not how strong they are. Her best attacking spell is her plain old auto attack. Experienced Janna players know this. Think about it this way: Once you use, say, Howling gale...they get knocked up...then what? You are left to either shield yourself/teammate, use zephyr, or run away or..AA. Once you use Zephyr..then what? You are left with HG, shielding yourself, run away, or....AA. Shielding yourself increases your Damage...for what? AutoAttacking! The least common denominator is AA. Its beast! Many champs in this game have great spell combos. Janna doesn't. Her combos all involve AAing the target AFTER it's slowed, Knocked up, knocked back, etc. Use her beastly AA to your advantage. I've had many First bloods by shielding and auto attacking. Janna is SO strong pre lvl 6 its sick. Thats due to her Autoattack.
So do Taric's. So do Annie's. Plenty of characters auto attack once their main burst is over in order

Quote:

Feel free to downrank me. I don't really care. I like to think i've tried every Janna build there is, and the ones that have always shined have involved supporting my carry by CCing my opponents and helping out with good old fashioned Auto Atttacks. Your CC spells will be effective with AP or not. Thats the key to remember.
It's not about the damage her CC does. You can have fun with your auto attack all day long. I'll have fun watching my shield absorb 3 turret hits instead of 1. I'll have fun watching my AoE heal give 1000 HP instead of 500. I mean, honestly. You act as if they only thing those AP items do is give AP. I'm not rushing deathcap, I'm going Rod of Ages. Rushing phantom dancer? Let's look at how much gold that costs, using a build I saw in your recent games.

475 Doran's Ring.
1000 Boots of swiftness
2895 Phantom Dancer
475 Mana Manipulator.

Added up to a total of 4845.

This build effectively gives...

100 HP
5 Mana Regen
15 AP
55% Attack Speed
30% Critical strike
15% Movement Speed
7.5 Mana Regen

Okay, now let's look at a same priced "AP" build, and weigh the pros and cons.

Rod of Ages
Boots of Swiftness
Philosopher's Stone

Adding up to a total of 4835.

This build gives

630 HP,
725 Mana
80 AP
+22 Health Regen
+10 Mana Regen

And now we compare

The pros of your build.

55% Attack Speed
30% Critical strike
15% Movement Speed

The pros of my build

530 HP
725 Mana
22 Health Regen
5 gold every 10 seconds
2.5 Mana Regen
Removing AP entirely, which would you rather have as a support character. Answer that question.

Now, looking at AP, let's see what I have on THAT spectrum, that you don't have, albeit subtracting the 15 from the difference between your AP and my AP

+48 Damage to my Gale
+52 Damage to my Zephyr
+58 Shield
+88 Heal

Which means AP has effectively given me +146 to "healing abilities", altogether, and + 100 damage to my spells, altogether.

Now let's look at how much damage your AS gives. Let's say this all took place at... level 14, for example. At level 14, Janna has roughly .8 Attack Speed. That +50% Attack speed, will bring you up to 1.2 AS.

Assuming you'll get around.. 3 auto attacks in, and assuming you only crit once means you do 364 damage, sometimes, assuming you crit once, assuming you manage to hit them before dying because you have 0 survivability. Add 150 to that if you are ignoring your carry, and a horrible support to begin with, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you shield the carry.

That means that you are giving up

530 HP
725 Mana
22 Health Regen
5 gold every 10 seconds
2.5 Mana Regen
+58 Shield
+88 Heal

In order to achieve roughly +264 Bonus damage.

Now, we will look at it from a CDR Janna perspective, and compare to that.

CDR Build
Shurelya's Reverie, 2200 gold
Ionian Boots 900
Catalyst 1325
Negatron Cloak 740 ( Let's assume you're facing an MR team)

5165 gold

Once again weighting the pro's and cons

My build:
+520 HP
30 Health Regen
8 Mana Regen
+30% CDR (-3 On gale, -2 on Zephyr, -3 Eye of the Storm, -36 on Ultimate)
Momentary 25 Movement Speed Buff
48 Magic Resist

Yours..

+55% Attack Speed
Rank 3 Movement Speed
+30% Critical Strike
+15% Movement Speed constantly

Now, would you rather have +364 damage, or everything the CDR build offered, I mean, honestly?

FrickingStein 02-05-2011 03:08 AM

after reading your guide, i got curious about Janna so i bought her... Man she rocks. I always feel bad when i don't have many kills with other champions. Feels like you let your team down. But with Janna, when i can help a mordekaiser with 200 hp left survive a fight against 3 enemies just to have that Morde get a triple kill, it feels like i did my job even if i have no kills in the entire game. (though i got 2 in that game). She's now my fav. champion.

i just have a question however. Wouldn't be better to take ap per lvl runes rather than flat AP? i made the maths and Ap/lvl becomes better at lvl 6. At lvl 18 you get +34,38 with flat AP runes and + 83,16 with Ap/lvl runes.

Alyzar 02-05-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrickingStein (Hozzászólás 5968233)
after reading your guide, i got curious about Janna so i bought her... Man she rocks. I always feel bad when i don't have many kills with other champions. Feels like you let your team down. But with Janna, when i can help a mordekaiser with 200 hp left survive a fight against 3 enemies just to have that Morde get a triple kill, it feels like i did my job even if i have no kills in the entire game. (though i got 2 in that game). She's now my fav. champion.

i just have a question however. Wouldn't be better to take ap per lvl runes rather than flat AP? i made the maths and Ap/lvl becomes better at lvl 6. At lvl 18 you get +34,38 with flat AP runes and + 83,16 with Ap/lvl runes.

It's up to you, and entirely preferential. I feel that Janna peaks around level 9, so taking per level runes seems slightly counter productive, in my opinion.