League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Esports Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   LoL is a casual game, not competitive (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=475616)

Plutwo 01-27-2011 01:55 PM

LoL is a casual game, not competitive

I am not saying that LoL's small competitive community doesn't exist. What I am saying, is that if the casual community and the competitive community were Riot's children, and Riot had to choose which one would live and which one would die, they would pick the casual community every time.

League of Legends was designed to be a casual game. Everything from the game's art direction, graphical design, champ development, game play mechanics, balancing, etc are all targeted toward a casual player.

These aren't opinions, but facts based on the evidence of Riot's actions. The development priority has been on a constant barrage of new champs, new skins, new bundles, new fluff, a merch store, Leaverbuster, upcoming "advanced bots", tribunal system, and attempts at making semi-viral youtube videos.

What things are on the back burners? Replay mode, Observer mode, lan capabilities, tournaments managed by Riot, etc are all core fundamental things a modern competitive online game should have. LoL has been released for fifteen months now and still do not have these basic competitive features. Star Craft and DOTA have had these for years. Heroes of Newerth, Star Craft 2, and Bloodline Champions were all released after LoL and have these features. DotA 2, and Blizzard's version of DotA will have these features at launch.

League of Legends is carving out it's own little niche as a free-to-play DotA-esque MOBA. This isn't a bad thing, as LoL is the only game currently like this. Sure, someday the basic features of a competitive game will finally be released, but even then Riot will still prioritize their casual player base. That is the demographic most likely to by the cosmetic fluff. So lets all just try to practice patience, the competitive player base will eventually get their turn, however briefly, in the sunlight. As it stands it just seems Riot resents us, the competitive community.

In conclusion, stop your *****in'.

Shiliski 01-27-2011 01:58 PM

Not another casuals vs. competitives fight...

Genoknight 01-27-2011 02:14 PM

It's true this game fails in competitive compared to other games

at this point i'm considering other options : /

Plutwo 01-27-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiliski (Hozzászólás 5737641)
Not another casuals vs. competitives fight...

It's not a "fight" or "theory", it is a fact with evidence that has been proven time and again for almost a year and a half.

Courier Lord 01-28-2011 01:49 AM

^ That.

FrostRevenant 01-28-2011 07:18 AM

League of legends needs more time to grow and develop, dota has been out for several years now and for the first 1-2 years it was just something fun to do, i never heard any mentions of tournaments or people playing that map very seriously until much later. Right now i totally see that it is more casual based. Right now thats not a problem, LoL is specifically trying to market a product that allows more novice players to join without feeling shut out from the community or making the game too complex to learn like HON does alot of the time. so id say just give it time and it will develop into a more competitive game.

The Arsenal 01-28-2011 02:26 PM

DotA 2 isn't being made by Blizzard, it's made by Valve, on the Source engine.

Druiddroid 01-29-2011 10:07 PM

I think LoL is meant for mainly casual play..like there's games that seem to cater more towards competitive play such as HoN or DotA...although I think you do have a point about the features of the game being lackluster towards competitive players (I mean even competitive Starcraft has observers).

Quote:

LoL is specifically trying to market a product that allows more novice players to join without feeling shut out from the community or making the game too complex to learn like HON does alot of the time.
Very true...I played DotA for awhile and it was always a competitive game, my friends tried it a couple times and failed miserably, and now we all play LoL and have a good time. I think LoL has a more laid back feel to it but still remains OK in terms of competitiveness for me. It's definitely complex enough in terms of gameplay.

Yndyr 01-29-2011 11:00 PM

All of the best competitive games have always had a large fan base of casual players. The only reason this game doesn't seem competitive is because there is not enough exposure of the competitive scene.

To be a competitive game you have to compete for something real and tangible. IThe problem is not that there is a small competitive community. The problem lies with the fact that so many players are competitive, yet are left with nothing to compete for. No advertising of upcoming tournaments, only mentioned by the company in passing.

Perhaps another problem is that the gaming leagues who do plenty to organize tournaments and ladders don't realize how big of a game League of Legends is, and generally don't include it for many events.

Both of these problems result in a community of competitive players left with nothing to compete for but your rating.

In the end it's the players that decide how competitive a game is, not the company. If the community is not willing to put the effort into organizing tournaments, building websites, it will stagnate. If you want the game to be competitive, you should put your effort into helping the game become more about competition than ranting about who Riot Games caters to. They have made a game with a lot of potential for competition, but they have given it to a community that is too lazy to do what they can to fulfill it.

tl;dr? It's the players that are responsible for competition, not the company.

Nerhesi 01-31-2011 09:04 AM

Its not competitive because it is simply not balanced. Tank heaven. You're also not balancing something with more than a dozen or less character/hero options.